• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Zumo and mount issue, who else has this problem?

beeryboats

Both my R1100RT and now my R1200GS have had the same problem with two different Zumo 550 mounts. Both have been bar mounted and make all kinds of motion related static on the audio output through the Autocom. I've tried dielectric grease at the pins connection, buisness card between the mount and zumo and now I have tried folded up post it notes at different places to make the darn thing work. It just seems loose in the mount causing static and loss of power at times when I hit rough road. Sometimes I can hold onto the zumo in the mount and keep it working nice and clear, but then comes the next red light. Has anyone else had this problem? Garmin is next to worthless on this issue. I wish that they had used a plug style connection or some way of adjusting the unit to the mount.
Thanks,
Jay

I never had a problem like that with my 550. It just developed the dreaded dead screen issues. Garmin replaced it once for free. Second unit lasted about a year. Turns out they don't like to be left in the sun when turned off. Don't understand that one.

So I threw it away and bought a NAV IV. We'll see how long it lasts.

But I never had any kind of issues with the contacts.

Sounds like it is the zumo itself. It has a firm rubber gasket around the electrical connection on the bottom. If that is worn out, it won't provide the needed pressure to hold the zumo firmly in the mount. I doubt that is a part you can get from Garmin though.

If that is the problem, I doubt even a spacer on the top to force it down would help much, but that is all I can think of to try.

What you need is a good contact cleaner like Caig DeOxit. Dielectric grease is non-conductive and is likely making the problem worse.

When I had two 550's I'd clean the contacts once a month to prevent the type of problem you're having.

FWIW, the 66x series does not suffer from the same malady.

What you need is a good contact cleaner like Caig DeOxit. Dielectric grease is non-conductive and is likely making the problem worse.

When I had two 550's I'd clean the contacts once a month to prevent the type of problem you're having.

FWIW, the 66x series does not suffer from the same malady.

So you have had the same problem? I took all the paper shims out tonight on my ride home from work and I got both speakers to work, but static in both sides. All I have to do to make it quit is place my hand on the top of the Zumo. I may try a couple rubber bands around the unit tomorrow. I will also clean out the grease and clean the contacts. What is the 66X series?
Thanks,
Jay

So you have had the same problem? I took all the paper shims out tonight on my ride home from work and I got both speakers to work, but static in both sides. All I have to do to make it quit is place my hand on the top of the Zumo. I may try a couple rubber bands around the unit tomorrow. I will also clean out the grease and clean the contacts. What is the 66X series?
Thanks,
Jay

Yes, it's a common problem with the 550. It has not happened to my 660 or 665.

You can get Caig products through Amazon. I repair electronic equipment for a living. There are other electronic solvents and cleaners out there, I just happen to like Caig best.

Whatever cleaner/lubricant you use, work the pins with your finger.

If your mount is really bad, a new one is $55 or so.

I think it's a design problem. Mine was noisy right out of the box. My second one was no better. Now my wife is pissed because of the Sirus XM I pay for every month that doesn't sound too hot. I'll hit it with contact cleaner and see what it sounds like tomorrow.
Thanks
Jay

I think it's a design problem.

It is a design problem, definitely. The pins are floating and do not make secure contact electrically. One other thing to check is the rubber gasket on the Zumo itself. It's been known to come adrift and prevent accurate mating. And hit the contacts on the 550 with cleaner as well. Wipe everything dry, but the important thing is to work the spring loaded pins with your finger, it has a cleaning/wiping action.

Good luck, man, it used to drive me nuts until I started cleaning the pins monthly.

Last night I took my contact cleaner and cleaned the pins and pads. I then took 1000 grit paper and wet sanded the pins with contact cleaner. Much better! Now I'm fighting my second Autocom intergrater box. It cuts out the right headphone until I tap the tank bag where everything lives. In a month or so this will no longer work, and I'll have to go spend close to $100 to buy another one.
Jay

P.S. Maybe I should take the old 8 track out of '56 Chevy step side and mount it in the tank bag!

Now I'm fighting my second Autocom intergrater box. It cuts out the right headphone until I tap the tank bag where everything lives. In a month or so this will no longer work, and I'll have to go spend close to $100 to buy another one.

RocketMoto in NH has Autocom cables on hand and Adam knows what he's doing.

I have the same proble with my 550.. and mixt.. I was told to clean the "head phone" pins with atf "auto matic transmission fluid" havnt tried it yet...

I have the same proble with my 550.. and mixt.. I was told to clean the "head phone" pins with atf "auto matic transmission fluid" havnt tried it yet...

I was told the same thing from the guy at MixIt. It not just ATF, but I think it is somehting like ATF+4. He says it is the same cleaner you use on electric trains to clean the contacts. I tried it and it worked for me. Not having the connection issues I had before with the cables going into my MixIt. Apply it VERY lightly to a cloth and wipe the cables down, then insert the cable into the jack a few times.

I've had the 550 with XM since it first came out (about 2006/7?) and use it with two mounts, one on my Harley and the other on my RT and have not had a problem. I do try and clean the contacts every time I go for an extended ride; always remove and store the unit in its carrying case when not riding. It's been through some really rough weather and still works fine. I am looking at the new 350 and the 665, but other than the lane assist feature on those newer models, there isn't much reason to spend the big bucks.

Back