• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Jetting Dellorto PHF 32 for 1984 R65

jtatknox

I bought a used R65 with Dellorto PHF 32s. Plugs look toasty brown after city driving plug chop, but it's guzzling gas and has black soot on the inside of the exhausts. I think it's running pig rich on the highway. I tried moving the needle from the most rich position to one position leaner, and now it may be running a touch lean. I didn't use brand new plugs before I did a plug chop.

When I had the needle in the leaner position, I felt like it had more HP than in the more rich position but of course it was idling a little rough until the bike warmed up. I feel like when I go to WOT the bike doesn't want to respond as well as if I crack it to 1/2 and gain speed slowly. My intuition, which could be wrong, is that that also implicates the main jet?

The bike seems to run well after I balanced the carbs. Float level looks within spec on both carbs.

main jet: 130
idle jet: 55
needle jet: AB265
needle: K8
slide: 50/1

Any input on whether this looks totally out of whack or reasonably close? I have a selection of smaller main jets and a good source for K3-K6 sized needles. New needle jets are available on eBay, but not as cheaply.

Cheers,

J.T.

To me, the behavior still sounds like too rich condition. Unfortunately, I have "0" experieince with Dellortos. How are you feeding air to the carbs? Did you plumb in the airbox, or you using the ubiquitous pod filters?

Stock air box, but of course I'm tempted to remove it and replace with K&N filters, a lithium ion battery and clip ons!

Back