• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

home made armor

Thought I d throw this out so someone can tell me this is a bad idea.
The armor in my olympia jacket was shot. I looked into buying replacements. Before i ordered it i spotted a dense foam pad that you would use under a sleeping bag. It s about the same thickness as the original armor and is much more dense. I bought a twin size and cut out new pieces. Only took about half the foam to get shoulders, elbows, and back for two jackets. Total cost less than 15 dollars. It is a little hotter than the original, but this time of year that won t be a problem.
Your thoughts are welcome.

While it might be better than nothing, the foam in sleeping bag pads is very different from the more rigid foam in the riding gear armor. The foam in armor is designed to help absorb and dissipate impacts. The foam in the sleeping bag pad is not.

I would shell out the money to buy proper armor.

While it might be better than nothing, the foam in sleeping bag pads is very different from the more rigid foam in the riding gear armor. The foam in armor is designed to help absorb and dissipate impacts. The foam in the sleeping bag pad is not.

I would shell out the money to buy proper armor.

I have to agree with this post. Shaving a few bucks when it comes to your safety is not a great idea. Spend the money and sleep better!

So for twice what you spent you could have gotten real replacement pads........ is your long term safety worth less than the price of a tank of gas?
Check the aftermarket / online entities that cater to motorcyclists and you'll find what you need.

It's my understanding that armor is designed to compress and harden under impact and in the process to offer protection. Replacement armor can be purchased at various places. Another option is Bohn underarmor which can be worn under any riding gear. Don't risk injury and the possibility of not being able to ride again.

Back