• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Rich Ryan

ldcleve

BMWBOY1100
It is with much sadness that I have to inform you that Rich Ryan passed away yesterday. Rich was killed in a motorcycle accident while driving through Idaho. He was riding by himself and the only one involved in the accident. Rich was a big man in many ways towering at 6'7" over others at BMW events. He was an avid collector of BMWs with a workshop resembling a dealers with parts department, lifts and maybe 30 bikes of all eras in his shop near Oconomowoc. Denise Ryan, as you would expect, is devastated. . Denise said that they would expect to have a Wake this Friday and the Funeral Service on Saturday. Please keep Denise and the boys in your thoughts and prayers.

As I wrote on our Wisconsin Club Forum:

We are all in shock! How could such a terrible thing have happened?

Every time I saw Rich he was smiling.
It was a perpetual smile or grin he must have been born with.

And as towering as Rich was, he never made any one feel small.
He had a way of making the person he was talking to feel important.

He will be missed by all that ever came in contact with him.

Sincere condolences to the family and friends he has left behind.

RIP Rich

+1000 1mikec,
Very shocked to hear of Rich's passing. I feel privileged to have met Rich and spent time at winter tech days in his garage. Most recently in July riding the hills and curves around New Glarus with a bunch of like minded Airheads, then sharing food and stories around the camp fire at Hosely Mtn camp out. Rest in Peace Rich.
I will be attending the visitation this Fri to offer my condolences to Rich's family and friends.

Mike Horne

Not to sound ghoulish...

Does anyone know the details of the accident?
Speed, terrain, weather, condition of bike, etc?
TIA

Rich's accident

The report on the crash still has some questions that may be resolved with the autopsy but, this is what is known as a result of a conversation between the coroner and a Ryan family member.
Rich was riding alone to Spokane WA., for a business meeting. He had planned to stay on pavement for this trip and had changed from TKCÔÇÖs to Tourance tires for the better road application. On Saturday morning he evidently decided to change his plan to do pavement only and do a bit of ÔÇ£off- roadingÔÇØ on one of IdahoÔÇÖs many fire roads near St. Maries. He met and spoke with a ranger, who remembered him and who subsequently investigated the crash site. The crash occurred probably 10 minutes after that conversation. Rich was on gravel, which was not a strange surface to him, apparently on a straight stretch, when he was thrown or fell off of his GSA and broke his neck (cause of death). He subsequently fell into a 40 foot deep ravine with the bike following and landing on top of him. He was found by a hunter approximately 6-8 hours later. ( reposted here from the WI BMW club forum)

motivator6ab23e6917ad76a52f2b9-XL.jpg

Rich Ryan really lived

Every man dies.
Not every man really lives.

Willliam Ross Wallace (via myquotelibrary)

You know all those things you’ve always wanted to do?
You should go do them

Eddy Boskamp said:
I remember taking the picture. Guatemala was an awesome trip and crossing the Uscumacinta river was the climax. For Rich these type of trips were common. For most of us they are a once in a lifetime experience. Rich really lived and did it well

Last edited:
557021_4074598176809_1543430811_n.jpg

from
Jeff Trapp via Facebook
Wildcat Mountain Camp-out/Wisconsin Airhead
October 3, 2012

A little tribute to Rich Ryan,
friend and fellow airhead

:thumb

429226_4074608657071_1787139881_n.jpg

Back