• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Greenville SC travel advice

yonderbob

Hi all...

I have a bad habit (?) of planning WAY in advance, but need some advice. My son and I (two bikes) will be riding from Orlando to Greenville, SC on May 10 2013. We have several purposes: 1. Hopefully to find him a job (fresh A.S. degree in CADD/Solidworks/Mechanical Drafting - anyone looking?) 2. Possibly to relocate myself. 3. To ride some roads that are not flat and straight.

We have ridden to NC twice before and usually stay at a different place each night. Using the scenic routes, BRP, 129, NC 80, to link them up. This time we plan to make Greenville home base and travel out and back on day trips. BTW we will be riding up and back - no trailering.:coffee

Any suggestions on "not to be missed" roads or destinations would be much appreciated. 200 mile days are no problem. 300 mile days on those twisty roads are a little taxing for the old bones. Our longest day will probably be up to Asheville, a chunk of the BRP and back again. I try to keep it to 6-8 hours of saddle time each day. :hungover

Recommendations welcomed and much appreciated.

Bob

Well... (Just a few but there are many more)

178 (Pickens to Rosman, NC)
215 (up to the BRP but I noticed they were repaving the other side (64 to BRP))
130 (Turns into 281 in NC)
133 (Runs from Clemson to HWY 11)
107 (Splits off of 28 and runs up to Cashiers)
28 (Runs from Walhalla to Highlands)
64 (Runs from Highlands to Brevard and further East)
Warwoman (off 28 and goes to Clayton, GA)
276 (Goes over Ceasar's Head and up to the BRP)
Gap Creek Rd (From HWY 25 in the SC side)
Wiggington Rd
441 is a decent big road in NE GA
76 (From Westminster, SC into GA)
In Georgia:
Historic 441
HWY 75

Anyone have any thoughts on lodging in/near Greenville? I was thinking of a cabin at Table Rock State Park. Anyone have any experience? I'm not a camper. Nor am I rich enough for the mountain chalet scene. I just want my AC and a good night's rest before the next day's ride-o-rama:bolt

thanks to any and all...

bob

Solidworks? Do you have any aviation background?
I'm looking for a person that can work drawings in our engineering department for Stevens Aviation in Greenville.
PM me and maybe we can hook up next year. I live here so I can give you some good road advise too.

Solidworks? Do you have any aviation background?
I'm looking for a person that can work drawings in our engineering department for Stevens Aviation in Greenville.
PM me and maybe we can hook up next year. I live here so I can give you some good road advise too.

The job hunt is for my son. Just turned 21 and looking for an entry level job or internship. Will have an AS degee in drafting next semester.
No experience other than school... unfortunately.

thanks for any leads you may be able to throw my way. I'll stay in touch as we get closer to the travel date.

Bob

There are several MC route search websites-try: www.motorcycleroads.US for one of the better ones IMO. Also www.openroadjourney.com & www.sundaymorningrides.com The first one has lots of the better roads and is easy to use.

On the job thing- training people in tech ed was my main career & I never heard of riding someplace to find a job? Whats the twist there? What with the web job search thing very common these days he could obviously cover more "ground" on the web, granted not as much fun. We had his field in my school & over many years there was never a problem placing our better students from that field-issue was how much $$$ they could make in KY as many employers here are lowball salary people for tech/skilled jobs, esp. in the less urban areas. One great thing about drafting is the nice way it meshes with other tech areas. If he would continue his training , while working into say engineering his payday will be much sweeter!

Greenville Area

I live in Marietta, SC, nw of Greenville on Hwy 276. What gadgetech gave you as advice is great.

Whenever you get closer to the time, maybe I can meet with you all and show you some of those rides, if it works out.

I can't remember exactly the routes that were mentioned, but a day loop might look like this ..

Table Rock S P is great, and a great hike to the top of the mtn. It'll take a day. Great view.

Commence Day Loop:

From Table Rock SP west on Hwy 11 to Hwy 178. Take a right at 178 to Rosman, NC. You'll pass Bob's place n the way up the mtn. It's also called Scatterbrain Bob's. (He's deceased, but Miss Romain, his widow runs the place. It'd make an interesting stop as it's the oldest beer joint in SC. You'd recognize it from the large Schlitz sign hanging in front of the joint.

In Rosman, take a left at the first stop light. Jarret's Store is on your right then. Friendly folks, gas, and RR. Follow that road to Hwy 64 W, then a mile to Hwy 215 on your right. That'll lead to lots of good riding, but it will take you to (good road) the parkway. Head west on the parkway tot the high point and take a few pictures at the marker. Then head on all the way to either Hwy 74 (west to 28 and Deal's Gap), or to Maggie Valley, Cherokee, or go all the way to the end of the parkway. Only about half an hour from the high point. Go right across Newfound Gap. Great ride, but might be some traffic, but worth it.

When you get down to Cades Cove, the visitor's center, turn left. Don't remember the road no, but that leads you west (Hwy 219??) toward Townsend, Tn., the The Foothills Parkway. Head south on the parkway to the famed 129. Then east through the Dragon from the west, stopping at Deal's Gap at the intersection of Hwy 129/28.

Then, take 129 through Robbinsville to the intersection of Hwy 74. Go north for a mile, then when yo see Wayah Rd on your right, take that back to hwy 64. Follow that north until the intersection of 64/28. Go east on 28 back towards Highlands, NC.

You can follow Hwy 28 back down into SC where it intersects with Hwy 11. If you head north on 11, you return to the TableRock State Park.

Or, from Highlands, take a left on Hwy 64 back through Cashiers, back to Rosman, NC.

But, like gadgetech said, 276 anyway you take across the mtn. out of SC is good, remaining on it till the BRPW. Go north toward Asheville, but make sure you stop at The Pisgah Inn, about 3 miles up (N) the parkway from 276. Good food, lodging, and rocking chairs at the convenience store...and lots of bikes stopping in.

Continue north on the parkway through Asheville to Hwy 74A down through Lake Lure. Nice place.

I could show you some good riding there, too...but like the guys above said, you can't go wrong riding up there in the mtns anywhere. I'd like to write more, but fingers too tired!

Good luck, and I know you will have a great time with your son. That's a grand memory you are creating.

BMW plant

Be certain to include the BMW plant in your plans. Contact them for some motorcycle track time too. Great group of instructors there for both bikes and cars.

On the job thing- training people in tech ed was my main career & I never heard of riding someplace to find a job? Whats the twist there? What with the web job search thing very common these days he could obviously cover more "ground" on the web, granted not as much fun. We had his field in my school & over many years there was never a problem placing our better students from that field-issue was how much $$$ they could make in KY as many employers here are lowball salary people for tech/skilled jobs, esp. in the less urban areas. One great thing about drafting is the nice way it meshes with other tech areas. If he would continue his training , while working into say engineering his payday will be much sweeter!

He's just starting to do the research and has looked on the web for some places to hit while we're there. Combining business with pleasure is the point of the ride part. Greenville is within striking distance of all the places I like to ride... Anyway, as I have found throughout my career, it's not what you know, it's who you know and building a network (like this forum) is a much surer way to scare up something than gumshoeing through cyberspace or pulling doorknobs in the real world. He does want to keep going to school to get a Mechanical Engineering degree and figured he could work for a firm that might also be willing to help out on tuition and such.

Thanks again for the reply. Haven't been here for a while. Working two jobs and riding aroung Florida in this "Winter" we are having!

Bob

I live in Marietta, SC, nw of Greenville on Hwy 276. What gadgetech gave you as advice is great.

Whenever you get closer to the time, maybe I can meet with you all and show you some of those rides, if it works out.

I can't remember exactly the routes that were mentioned, but a day loop might look like this ..

Table Rock S P is great, and a great hike to the top of the mtn. It'll take a day. Great view.

Good luck, and I know you will have a great time with your son. That's a grand memory you are creating.

Thanks! I've printed out your reply! I'm particularly keen to make this a good run because it is more than likely the last time he and I will be able to do anything like it. We've ridden up to Western North Carolina on two prior occasions. One in the spring that was the definition of what a father-son experience should be; and once in August which was bloody hot and miserable but still better than no mountains at all. We've done the Dragon and Dahlonega/Suches, the BRP, NC 80, Mast General Store in Valle Crucis, etc. Had the time of our lives!

Thanks again for the info. We're leaving here on May 10, so I'll check back...

Bob

Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground

As for lodging:
Table Rock is a nice state park, but if you remain on Hwy 276, it will take you through Brevard, NC, Pisgah Forest, under the Blue Ridge Parkway and about 3 miles west of The BRPW you will find Blue Ridge MOtorcycle Campground, on hwy 276. They have cabins there, but showers/RRms are the same for everyone in the main area. Nice, however.
http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/

It is very convenient to Greenville (1 hour of nice riding, Asheville, 30 mins, Waynesville, NC, 20 mins, Deal's Gap, 1.5 hours fast way or via the parkway, if you get off at Hwy 74.
Good luck.

Be certain to include the BMW plant in your plans. Contact them for some motorcycle track time too. Great group of instructors there for both bikes and cars.

This is a bummer... Guess I'll reorg my itenerary a bit...

Due to new model production, BMW?s factory tours are currently suspended. Tours are expected to resume in the Summer of 2014. The Zentrum Museum will remain open during this time.

Thanks for the great recommendations, everyone. We had a blast! I could have spent the whole trip going up the 178/215/BRP/276 Caesar's Head loop and back to Table Rock. Who needs a Dragon? The cabin was great, the bikes performed flawlessly, the weather was perfect... if it hadn't been for getting my gps stolen from Pisgah Inn parking lot it woud have been a perfect trip.

Bob

G'ville, SC, Travel

Bob,
Man, that is terrible about your GPS!!! We go there about once a week and hang sit in the rocking chair at the Pisgah Inn convenience store....We're lucky as nothing has been taken....but, it just is terrible that you had the problem.

Were you able to see or stop at Bob's Place over on Hwy 178?? It's a rough looking place about a mile east of the SC line, but it's really not rough. Glad you liked that great loop and I'll agree that it's better than The Dragon! But, the Dragon is a good place to go hang out and watch the bikes!

L

Greenville

Well... (Just a few but there are many more)

178 (Pickens to Rosman, NC)
215 (up to the BRP but I noticed they were repaving the other side (64 to BRP))
130 (Turns into 281 in NC)
133 (Runs from Clemson to HWY 11)
107 (Splits off of 28 and runs up to Cashiers)
28 (Runs from Walhalla to Highlands)
64 (Runs from Highlands to Brevard and further East)
Warwoman (off 28 and goes to Clayton, GA)
276 (Goes over Ceasar's Head and up to the BRP)
Gap Creek Rd (From HWY 25 in the SC side)
Wiggington Rd
441 is a decent big road in NE GA
76 (From Westminster, SC into GA)
In Georgia:
Historic 441
HWY 75

Great roads listed...and even greater for they are in my backyard. What made you choose Gville? Have you looked at Asheville? Asheville was just listed as the number one retirement destination in the United States. Their 10 year growth plan is amazing. Less crime and cooler summers than Gville. I would recommend you take a good look at both if you can....less competition for your son too.

Back