• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

hi-viz and tickets

LuckyGrownup

Hi, I recently started commuting with a hi-viz Jacket. Also, I recently ordered a Hi-viz Arai helmet. With the jacket, I noticed that people see me better. For example on Thursday, a T-shirt and shorts Harley rider waved his index finger about one mile from my position. He held his finger up until he passed me. I was surprised he saw me so far off. He waved long before I did. The hi-viz color is annoying, so I am not judgmental on his choice of fingers to wave. But, what worries me is speeding.

Does anyone that recently switched to a hi-vis jacket or helmet notice an increase in tickets ? :lurk

I am just curious. Regretfully, wearing a hi-vis helmet may make me slow down.

Gear:
Hi-Vis Olympia Jacket
Hi-Vis Arai Signet Q

Being hi-viz certainly makes it hard to blend in with the traffic - that's kinda the point. It also makes it easier for Sheriff Andy to single you out and continue visual contact until he catches-up. Or maybe he notes what a conscientious rider you are in your gear and cuts you some slack.

Frankly, I always wear hi-viz with a plain white helmet but haven't noted any increased attraction from law enforcement. My four-wheeler is a silver Honda CR-V which I do believe has saved me a few times. I mean, half the cars on the road around here are silver CR-Vs and they are mostly driven by mobile road hazards, so I might get a free pass. Who knows? Enjoy the added conspicuity and don't swet it.

pete

If you can see a finger waving from a mile away you should be able to spot speed traps before they spot you and speeding is more apt to earn you a ticket rather than your choice of wardrobe.:nyah

>>Harley rider waved his index finger<<

Being a Harley rider, are you sure it was his index finger? :)

My wife and I were discussing this on the way home just this afternoon (my RT, her GS). I wear a Hi-Viz Schuberth C3, and either a yellow jacket or a blue Darien. Her in a silver C3 and a yellow jacket. Passed quite a few LEOs, including a Trooper shooting radar while we we doing 62 in a 55.

I'm of the view that at least here in Northern VA and DC the LEO's are more predisposed to expect "bad" behavior (speed/weaving/etc.) from (i) sport bikes and (ii) riders *not* wearing much in the way of protective gear.

Put another way, when they see you in Hi-Viz, especially if ATGATT, they seem to subconsciously assess you to be a "safe" rider, and focus on the next car/bike.

Put another way, when they see you in Hi-Viz, especially if ATGATT, they seem to subconsciously assess you to be a "safe" rider, and focus on the next car/bike.

Kinda agree with this. Passed three deputies today, doing at least 10 over each time. None of them gave me a second glance. Well, maybe they did, but they didn't feel like having a chat. White C3W, yellow Roadcrafter, boots, gloves.

Or maybe they just couldn't believe that I, being on a 250cc Honda Rebel, could actually get the bike moving fast enough to BE 10 over the posted limit, and they figured something was wrong with their speedometers and/or radars. :scratch

I can't understand why the OP is worried about getting a speeding ticket ON HIS COMMUTE no matter what his garb. If there is other traffic, go with it for safety whether that is the posted speed limit (which almost certainly means there is serious speed enforcement) or 20 mph over the posted speed. A safe speed should be his main concern and that is only a mph or so faster than MOST traffic.

If he has the luxury of commuting on back roads, he should know if speeding tickets get handed out there.

My rule of thumb is that you can speed with impunity from law enforcement (not necessarily deer enforcement) when 1. traffic is is moving faster than legal and you are simply part of the herd; 2. you are so far from a major center and there is so little traffic that speed enforcement is not cost effective.

When you have the urge to "open her up," I hope you will keep concerns about your personal safety higher than concerns about the cost of a speeding ticket.

Or maybe they just couldn't believe that I, being on a 250cc Honda Rebel, could actually get the bike moving fast enough to BE 10 over the posted limit, and they figured something was wrong with their speedometers and/or radars. :scratch

Boy oh boy, you were being awfully brave in that school zone. :)

Boy oh boy, you were being awfully brave in that school zone. :)

lol. Yup. Flogging that poor 250 for all it was worth....

Actually, all three times were on the highway. Getting a Rebel up to 70mph (according to Mr Garmin) isn't an easy task, I guess they just wanted me to enjoy my accomplishment. hahaha

My rule of thumb is that you can speed with impunity from law enforcement (not necessarily deer enforcement) when 1. traffic is is moving faster than legal and you are simply part of the herd;

On a two laner, don't be the LAST ONE in a line of vehicles going over the speed limit.
Don't ask how I know.

Could not believe it was a Harley rider. I find that Harley drivers are afraid to take their hands off the handlebars
Why the gratuitous Harley-bashing? Did I miss the smilely that would have said you meant this in jest? If so, ignore the following "say what??" :thumb

Most HD riders exchange waves with me, and I know a few that could ride circles around the typical beemer rider. While I'm no fan of the butt-jewelery-riding "look at me" types, or the "you ain't **** if you're not worshiping the only REAL motorcycle" fanatics, most of the HD folks I know are decent/cool. As far as I'm concerned, if you're on two wheels and not being a jerk, everything's fine.

As the saying goes (paraphrased): "No one ever got ahead by speaking ill of others." This sort of comment help justifies the HD rider's stereotypes of stuck-up BMW riders!

why the gratuitous harley-bashing? Did i miss the smilely that would have said you meant this in jest? If so, ignore the following "say what??" :thumb

most hd riders exchange waves with me, and i know a few that could ride circles around the typical beemer rider. While i'm no fan of the butt-jewelery-riding "look at me" types, or the "you ain't **** if you're not worshiping the only real motorcycle" fanatics, most of the hd folks i know are decent/cool. As far as i'm concerned, if you're on two wheels and not being a jerk, everything's fine.

As the saying goes (paraphrased): "no one ever got ahead by speaking ill of others." this sort of comment help justifies the hd rider's stereotypes of stuck-up bmw riders!

+1

Why the gratuitous Harley-bashing? Did I miss the smilely that would have said you meant this in jest? If so, ignore the following "say what??"

As the saying goes (paraphrased): "No one ever got ahead by speaking ill of others." This sort of comment help justifies the HD rider's stereotypes of stuck-up BMW riders!

Not bashing just a bit of humour. Did not think I had to use a smiley.

On the other hand I just returned from a trip to the west coast and back. We did a bit of a survey and found that Harley (or at least the harley and look a likes) riders would initiate a wave 2 out of 10, return a wave 4 out of 10. The higher the ape hanger the less likely a wave so I thought they must be afraid to take thier hands off the bars.

Those riding sport bikes had about the same record. The people who waved most were either riding a VStrom, KLR or a BMW GS. They had a 50-60% initiation wave and 90-100% return wave.

I wave at everyone because that is the way it was when I started riding 40 years ago. Bikers waved at bikers and truckers waved at truckers.

Back