Thread: What The Neil Peart in ON Did For Me

GIZMO

What The Neil Peart in ON Did For Me

After 18 plus years of riding motorcycles I had been considering hanging it up. Lately a lot of the fun has been replaced with frustration over the increasing number of drivers preoccupied with cell phone conversations, overly stressed out drivers whose attention is obviously elsewhere and then those who really do not give a damn about the other guy. That and I can recall a time when unless you were doing something really stupid, cops were more apt to give you a warning when one got a little excited with the throttle, now it seems riders are more apt to get a ticket and a real attitude to boot. The final straw was a good friend who is an excellent and very experienced rider was T-boned by a guy in a pick-up truck who not only ran a red light, but according to several witnesses was traveling faster through a Home Depot Parking lot than the cars on the road. As a result my friend and another friend who was a passenger have severe and most likely life changing injuries. All of this have caused me to consider is it worth it?

A re-read of the excellent interview of Neil Peart in ON have helped me focus back on the positives of motorcycling and why I not only ride but have made the choice, at least for now, to make motorcycles my only source of transportation. Neil articulated well, much of my own personal feelings, ideas and approach to motorcycling and now find I am simply not ready to hang it up, as there is still much left to see and enjoy.

Good for you! I find riding in traffic sucks. I do commute on 2 wheels but mostly on evening or overnight shifts. Other than that I ride off the beaten path and during the day when most people are working. Anyone who is starting to hate motorcycling I recommend thinking of your bike as an RV. You wouldn't drive an RV to work or to run errands. Plan some nice trips and take your bike. That is when the true healing power of motorcycling comes thru.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Good points there Mark. Glad you found the joy again Gizmo.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

I see everyone's points...

But if my motorcycle was my RV, then it would sit parked more than it would be ridden. I put way more commuting miles on than pleasure miles, which is just reality. As my family grows older, and my home maintenance grows smaller, I'll have more time to ride on weekends and evenings just for fun. As for now, there are events and chores that unfortunately take precedence over riding.

I travel to Phoenix on business, and have done so for the past 8 years or so. Traffic gets worse every time I go there, and it seems that there's always reports of motorcycle accidents, often with a rider getting hit on the freeway or something. It's disturbing.

I think the key is finding the right routes, learning the traffic patterns, and to keep riding. I went 3 weeks during a period last summer when I never rode in, or drove a cage. Then, one day I drove my pickup truck to work. I felt like I was in a Sherman tank! It was freaky, I felt crowded in traffic. Hats off to you folks who rarely if ever drive a cage, and to those of you who may not even own a vehicle with 4 wheels.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

and,

and For Pete's sake, never under any cirmustances ride through Memphis,Tennessee. Memphis has some of the worst drivers in the country. I talked to a State Trooper here yesterday, and he said he counted cell phone use in cars one day, and it came out to every fourth car someone was yapping on the cell. He said one lady was talking and putting on her make up(farding) at the same time.

They will ride your ass,they will run red lights,and cut you off,and they think no one sees them, or knows who they are because they are in their big SUV.

Neil's book,Ghost Rider is fantastic. He's a great rider and a great person.

----
    Mean Tom Sawyer,mean mean pride---

Quote Originally Posted by Braddog
    But if my motorcycle was my RV, then it would sit parked more than it would be ridden. I put way more commuting miles on than pleasure miles, which is just reality.
    I agree. That suggestion is only for those who are starting to hate riding and are considering giving it up. It's a way to rediscover the joy of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF
    I recommend thinking of your bike as an RV. You wouldn't drive an RV to work or to run errands.
    Good point. I occationaly ride my bike to work. But just knowing I'm going in to work takes away some of the enjoyment. Most often I ride country roads with no time frame or schedule .

Gee, Memphis sounds a lot safer than Dallas!
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

SuperMoto7 wrote:
    Good point. I occationaly ride my bike to work. But just knowing I'm going in to work takes away some of the enjoyment. Most often I ride country roads with no time frame or schedule.
    Conversely, just knowing Big Red was waiting in the parking lot while I worked gave me great joy and a sense of a personal secret that made me smile in the most difficult work situations.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Voni
    SuperMoto7 wrote:

Conversely, just knowing Big Red was waiting in the parking lot while I worked gave me great joy and a sense of a personal secret that made me smile in the most difficult work situations.

Voni
    sMiling
    My thought process is:

I have to go to work [ugghh], but I get to ride my motorcycle! [Yea!]

If I can just get x amount of stuff done, then, I'll get to go home...on my motorcycle! In fact, if I go in early, and leave early, I'll miss the traffic!

I will re-state that I do understand and respect Gizmo's and Mark's perspectives. I'm holding out hope for the day when I can grab 2 weeks during the spring or fall and see a greater portion of the world from 2 wheels. I also believe that this is the type of thing one probably shouldn't "wait" for, rather figure out a way to do it ASAP.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

I hear this:

[QUOTE=Braddog]My thought process is:

I have to go to work [ugghh], but I get to ride my motorcycle! [Yea!]

If I can just get x amount of stuff done, then, I'll get to go home...on my motorcycle! In fact, if I go in early, and leave early, I'll miss the traffic!

However, if I ride to work, I WILL leave early. And if I know the bike is waiting for me in the parking lot (I *hope* she's still there), I really don't care *how much* I get done. Or who gets pissed!!!!