• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sorry Everyone '95 K75 Oil?

Leaks are caused by the condition of the seals. Slippery synthetics are less forgiving of hardened seals, but the oil doesn't CAUSE the leak, bad hardened seals do.

Higher mileage is actually better for seals than just sitting for years.

Choosing oil based on leakage vs performance is not the choice I would make, but each person has their own priorities.

:dance:dance:dance

Also, what do you guys have against Wal Mart? I do not like them because of the way they treat their employees.

There's that, they encourage employees to seek government assistance because their benefits are so bad. Then there's the fact mom and pop stores can't compete because they have don't the leverage to blackmail suppliers, and the suppliers have to source from China to get their prices low enough. And then there's the type of people WM attracts http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/page/32/
:hungover

There's that, they encourage employees to seek government assistance because their benefits are so bad. Then there's the fact mom and pop stores can't compete because they have don't the leverage to blackmail suppliers, and the suppliers have to source from China to get their prices low enough. And then there's the type of people WM attracts http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/page/32/
:hungover

I live in a small town in the mountains and I see Wal-Mart very differently.

1. You complain that the employees have poor benefits. Around here, the employees would have no benefits because they would have no jobs without Wal-Mart and would be totally on the government dole.

2. Without Wal-Mart, good old Mom and Pop would have all of the business and the price would be 20-25% higher for everyone and most can't afford the extra expense.

3. Without Chinese goods, the prices would be even higher and the selection would be far less.

4. I'm a Wal-Mart shopper and I wonder about the type of people who shop in your uppity and expensive stores.

Wow, that is a picture I wish I had not seen. Now I want to gouge my eyes out.

I do not like shopping at WM and avoid them if I can. They treat their people like crap
and yet many workers think they are a good company to work for.

My biggest beef about WM is when they tell their workers to seek out the government for help. I have questioned a few people I know that work there and they all claim the company does not tell them to turn to Uncle Sam for help stating that WM offers a health plan. My next question is always the same, "Do you have the health coverage they offer?" "Nope, can't afford it" has always been the answer.

Wait...I take that back, my ex sister-in-law has their coverage but can not afford to live on her own because of it. Yet, she thinks that they are a great company to work for. Go figure.

Valid points, osbornk, but I feel that on the whole companies such as WM are detrimental to our society. And when I go to my uppity stores I change out of my pajamas, which is more than I can say for the patrons of our local WalMart :laugh

My wife loves Wal-Mart. I try to avoid the place. When we were dating, she wanted a new TV and was going to buy it there. I suggested that we shop just a little more. We ended up with a TV set for almost 100 dollars less. Same brand name, bigger screen, better resolution, less money. Wal-Mart is not always the cheapest.

Poor quality and bad service are remembered much longer than a great price. Service and quality are what I am looking for when I spend my money. Wal-Mart does not cut it. Training in customer service is lacking and their staff is spread too thin. I have found better prices and better quality at local stores. Better service too. I do not even consider hardware from anything but one local store.

I guess Wal-Mart can be a blessing in some areas of the country. In my community, it has given us poorer quality products and less stores to choose from. What about all the people that are out of a job and on the dole because of places like Wal-Mart and Home Depot?

I'm not so certain the formulations are exactly the same (Golden-Spectro vs BMW's package/blended oil..)

At a national rally a decade or so ago, the Golden-Spectro guy was there, and was taking questions on oil. His claim at that time (things may have changed) was that BMW specified a different additive package in the oil they packaged for BMW.

There was a great article in the MOA-ON around the same time, done by a friend (Jeff DeCarlo), who had virgin samples of all sorts of oils tested to see how the viscosity (new) was, and what the additive packages were. Those tests showed a different additive package (proportions of the additives mostly) being used on the BMW oil then the Golden-Spectro oil.

Just a FWIW -

I worked in a BMW shop. I won't say which one, but I can tell you that the bulk oil we used was Golden Spectro.

Now, if you have the time the Amsoil website has some pretty interesting oil test results posted. You might be surprised who's oils are better than whos.

I always heard that if you don't us genuine BMW oil, your engine will explode within 1000 miles after you change it.

Pfffft. I put a genuine BMW accessory outlet on the V-Rod,use Harley Davidson label Dot 4 brake fluid on the BMW and wear Harley FXRG riding gear on the BMW, with BMW gloves in direct contact with a Harley Davidson jacket and a worm hole hasn't wisked me off to a parallel universe for punishment, at least not yet.

Leaks are caused by the condition of the seals. Slippery synthetics are less forgiving of hardened seals, but the oil doesn't CAUSE the leak, bad hardened seals do.

Choosing oil based on leakage vs performance is not the choice I would make, but each person has their own priorities.

:dance:dance:dance

I'm sure some of those stories about synthetic oils date to their inception when there were still plenty of leather seals in old cars on Americas roads. How many here are old enough to remember rawhide main seals in cars? Did you know the CR in CR Seals stands for Chicago Rawhide? That was the fate of the hides of many a cow slaughtered in Chicago.

You are right. Synthetic oil doesn't CAUSE the seals to leak but they do ALLOW the seals to leak. It didn't matter to me why they were leaking, it only mattered to me that they WERE leaking.

I considered the choice of oil based on leakage vs performance and I had the following choices:

1. Continue to use synthetic in my K bike and let the rear seal leak so it would drip on my garage floor and possibly get on my clutch.

Continue to use synthetic in my Airhead and let the pushrod tube seals continue to leak onto my garage floor and motorcycle.

2. Continue to use synthetic and spend hundreds of dollars having the seals replaced on both bikes.

3. Change to conventional oil, have the leaks stop and ride for many troublefree years.

I chose to return to using conventional oil. I sold the drip free K bike a year later and I have had my drip free Airhead 14 years since I changed back to conventional oil.

I'm not against using synthetic oil if you want to do so but I'm just saying if you do and the seals leak, you may save money and aggravation by switching back to a conventional oil.

You are right. Synthetic oil doesn't CAUSE the seals to leak but they do ALLOW the seals to leak. It didn't matter to me why they were leaking, it only mattered to me that they WERE leaking.

I considered the choice of oil based on leakage vs performance and I had the following choices:

1. Continue to use synthetic in my K bike and let the rear seal leak so it would drip on my garage floor and possibly get on my clutch.

Continue to use synthetic in my Airhead and let the pushrod tube seals continue to leak onto my garage floor and motorcycle.

2. Continue to use synthetic and spend hundreds of dollars having the seals replaced on both bikes.

3. Change to conventional oil, have the leaks stop and ride for many troublefree years.

I chose to return to using conventional oil. I sold the drip free K bike a year later and I have had my drip free Airhead 14 years since I changed back to conventional oil.

I'm not against using synthetic oil if you want to do so but I'm just saying if you do and the seals leak, you may save money and aggravation by switching back to a conventional oil.

Of course repairing the leaky seals never entered into your consideration. That tells me your opinion on the merits of synthetic oils is based on faulty logic and therefore of no value.

My wife loves Wal-Mart. I try to avoid the place. When we were dating, she wanted a new TV and was going to buy it there. I suggested that we shop just a little more. We ended up with a TV set for almost 100 dollars less. Same brand name, bigger screen, better resolution, less money. Wal-Mart is not always the cheapest.

Poor quality and bad service are remembered much longer than a great price. Service and quality are what I am looking for when I spend my money. Wal-Mart does not cut it. Training in customer service is lacking and their staff is spread too thin. I have found better prices and better quality at local stores. Better service too. I do not even consider hardware from anything but one local store.

I guess Wal-Mart can be a blessing in some areas of the country. In my community, it has given us poorer quality products and less stores to choose from. What about all the people that are out of a job and on the dole because of places like Wal-Mart and Home Depot?

As much as I dislike Wally World, I cannot sing any praises for the local small businesses where I live. In short, they are arrogant, over priced and have lousy service and selection because they think that because our city is isolated, they have you. Well, they don't. Most of us drive the hour and a half to the larger metropolitan area to buy what we need.

The local Chamber of Commerce whines about what they call "leakage", locals taking their business out of town instead of patronizing the local thieves. Well, this weekend I needed a new inner tube for the R-80G/S and no one in town had one. I had to make a three hour round trip south to obtain one, and the price was better than that of any of the local thieves. For the car tires I want I have to travel two hours to Bakersfield and you know I don't go to that garden spot unless it is unavoidable. Bakersfield is the rectum of California and Oildale, Delano and Wasco are it's hemhorriods.

We have a Wally World and, with the exception of pet supplies, I avoid it studiously. Still, if Trader Joes or Target were to open a store here I would cheer while thumbing my nose at some of the local thieves. They deserve to lose the business.

I thought Camp Roberts was the rectum of Califor.....No wait, that would be the arm pit
of California. Sorry.

Camp Roberts, for all it's faults (though it is being resurrected with new construction and some innovating rehabing of existing structures) at least is close to the ocean and San Luis Obispo and has nice ocean breezes. It's physical setting is quite lovely. But Bakerspatch? The only nearby ocean is an ocean of liquid cow manure up the road at "Cowschwitz", the Harris Ranch feed lot or it's near twin on Hwy 99 up near Fowler. Oil, farming, trucking, a 9% university degree rate and the Buck Owens sound, that's Bakersfield. Yee-haa.

Folks,

This thread has wandered seriously off-topic (perhaps my fault..) Lets try and keep it to the topic of the thread..

Thanks for your cooperation!

Folks,

This thread has wandered seriously off-topic (perhaps my fault..) Lets try and keep it to the topic of the thread..

Thanks for your cooperation!

It's not a professional discussion, it's more like a family dinner. Diversions are half the fun!

It's not a professional discussion, it's more like a family dinner. Diversions are half the fun!

It's become like a family dinner discussion - but those are a better fit to the Campfire section of the forums. This is supposed to be a tech forum, so keeping it at least marginally on-topic makes the discussion more useful to those seeking tech info..

:bolt :whistle

I'm going to the V-Rod forum. This place is too locked up. Potty training must have been brutal !

Back