• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Chin Curtain

flyrider

Morning Person
I've decided to try installing the chin curtain in my Shoei Multitec helmet, to see if it reduces wind noise significantly. Have others done this? What is your experience? Is it helpful/not helpful?

My Shoei X12 has a small one, kinda link the underside of a goatee, just fits the front edge of the helmet. My Shoei TZ-R doesn't I tend to like it.

I have a neck/face gator that I wear in cold weather (a balaclava with a bigger thicker neck piece) and it makes the helmet seem quieter. (I am always wearing ear plugs). I also have some jackets that have higher collars and they make the helmet seem quieter.

So, to answer your question.. I haven't tried one to know for sure. I have tried other things that alter air flow around the neck and they have made for quieter things.

One of the other things to try is where is the air flow boundary. Raise up on the pegs a bit and see if you find,

1) the hiss of the air is better
2) that the booming lower frequency of the turbulent air is better
3)that the air flow in the helmet and shoulders might be tolerable if 1 and 2 are better.

I did that and as a result have a short windsheld now. Air hits me just below shoulder level as I tend to find the oily remains of bugs on the fronts of my shoulders.

In winter you just become more careful on where air leaks into your gear around your neck and helmet. Otherwise, I haven't looked back. (I still have the standard and taller "Comfort" shield at the house and it only takes about 5 minutes to change them, I haven't)

NCS

On my Nolan 103, I used it all the time because it cut down on noise. On my Shoei Neotec I used it at first, but then it got hot here and I took it out. Didn't notice that it was much louder, but it definitely was cooler with it out.

Years ago I rode a Suzuki GSX550, and wore an inexpensive Bell helmet. I don't recall EVER being bothered by wind noise (of course I was younger and used to going to rock concerts, so wind noise might have been a non-event then, as opposed to something more now), so what is the source of wind noise when wearing a Multitec helmet while riding a F800ST? The gap seals in the helmet face place are good, so I'm hopeful the chin curtain (spoiler) will effectively redirect the flow and cut noise. Will ride tomorrow and find out, but was curious if there are any "helmet experts" or "wind experts" here who have some kind of empirical insight into wind noise.

Shoei R1000 and Multitec. Tried both with and without chin curtain. Can't honestly say I noticed any difference. I am riding behind a full fairing, so that may make a difference.

Tried the chin curtain today...no sound difference. Helmet was warmer though, so maybe this is a winter addition for me.

With the Shoei Neotec, the chin curtain seems to cut down on the breeze flowing uncomfortably into my eyes - good for a longer rides.

I wear a HJC is-16 that came with a chin curtain as well. I use it in winter, but have it out for warm weather riding. Can't say I notice a huge differance, but there must be one, as my Scala headset mic activates on it's own sometimes, where it didn't with the curtain in. Seems my windshield position makes the biggest differance. I thougt going to the GT it would get quieter due to the bigger screen, but I tend to get more turbulance unless the screen is all the way up, which makes it hot...... But that has nothing to do with the OP, so back to your regularly scheduled programming :)

Remove it in hot weather and get more air around your chin and neck. Put it on in very cold weather to keep the cold air off of the same. In really cold weather it can feel like a blow torch of cold air with out it.

Not difference in wind noise or acoustics, just protection from the elements.

Remove it in hot weather and get more air around your chin and neck. Put it on in very cold weather to keep the cold air off of the same. In really cold weather it can feel like a blow torch of cold air with out it.

Not difference in wind noise or acoustics, just protection from the elements.

What I thought, after trying it...thanks.

Back