• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

greasing airhead swingarm bearings

TOMDURRANT

Tom Durrant
I got frustrated and haven't greased them nearly enough. Today, I removed the pins, cleaned them, drilled an 11/32" hole just down to the hex. I was able to partially thread the hole with a 1/8" tapered pipe tap (standard) I had to grind the end of the tap off a little to get as many threads in as I could. Now I can screw a standard grease fitting enough to hold it. I put a grease gun on and forced some grease in. Of course the fitting gets removed and the cover replaced. Next time, I'll pick a bit of the grubby grease in the hole out and I'll be able to pump some fresh grease in.

I know you just went through all that work, but this works wonders:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conical-Sha...718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ca257fc6

Works on the swingarm bearings and is small enough at the tip to work on the rear brake pedal grease fitting as well, even got it to work on standard zerk fittings (like on a /6 clutch actuator arm). Took a little while to receive it from China, but the shipping was free and it works great for me

Any auto parts house will have tip like this.

Don

I got frustrated and haven't greased them nearly enough. Today, I removed the pins, cleaned them, drilled an 11/32" hole just down to the hex. I was able to partially thread the hole with a 1/8" tapered pipe tap (standard) I had to grind the end of the tap off a little to get as many threads in as I could. Now I can screw a standard grease fitting enough to hold it. I put a grease gun on and forced some grease in. Of course the fitting gets removed and the cover replaced. Next time, I'll pick a bit of the grubby grease in the hole out and I'll be able to pump some fresh grease in.

Sounds like a lot of work modifying something that already has a grease hole in it.

Why didn't you just spend $5 on the correct tip for your grease gun?

Regards, Rod.

Back