• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

It's BMW Scooter Time!

Yesterday I gained a new appreciation for how tricky BMW makes it on the dealers on these new models - for the scooters, they changed the design of the lock on the top case, and it ended up taking the tech quite a while to install a lock that he said takes them all of 2 minutes on the older models

I ordered my lock in October and got it 4 weeks later. The key would jam in and not come out or the extreme opposite the key would not go in. The dealer ordered a new lock, same thing the lock was no good the key goes in the tumbler that cost about $58. When inserted into the sleeve the key would not come out. If the tumbler was in the sleeve the key would not go in. The little tabs I figure are to long and they jam against the wall (or the keyway is to shallow) and will not let the key move. I told (and shown) the dealer and he has sent it back to Germany for the second time. Let's see what happens in January when the 3rd lock arrives.

I am glad it is not touring season and it is a must have situation

There were missing parts on mine and also the lock apparently had one tumbler standing proud on mine too (the little tabs you're talking about) - he may have tweaked this though the lock is not supposed to be serviceable. The key is a little rough to insert, but it does go in and turn the lock, and hopefully it will smooth with time. Hopefully your third time is the charm!

what are 'protection bumpers'?
If you look in the accessory catalog (PM me and I'll send you a copy if you don't have one), you'll see they make plastic fittings that bolt to the fairing to protect the plastic in a tipover. They're horrifyingly expensive, but I've had a bike knocked over when I wasn't there before, twice, and after seeing what fairing panels cost I figure it's cheap insurance amortizied over the life of the bike.

If you look in the accessory catalog (PM me and I'll send you a copy if you don't have one), you'll see they make plastic fittings that bolt to the fairing to protect the plastic in a tipover. They're horrifyingly expensive, but I've had a bike knocked over when I wasn't there before, twice, and after seeing what fairing panels cost I figure it's cheap insurance amortizied over the life of the bike.

pm sent

ordered a pair - they call them safety pads. Also ordered a couple of other enhancements. Will report when they arrive!

Let me know when yours show up! Mine were ordered in early Nov. and still waiting, the only accessory not to have arrived yet.

Got a call from my dealer today, he now has all 3 colors in stock. He has one coming which he has me in mind for, which will be a red one. I don't really have a strong attraction OR dislike for any of the colors, so thinking I will wait for the ordered one to come in, figuring the latest one built might have any early bugs worked out? I think the red is the most "interesting" color combo, the beige doesn't have a really strong color/2 tone contrast, the black is nice but no 2 tone at (all I don't think), which is fine if 2 tone isn't your thing. Trolling for opinions.
Gilly

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier I have 1000km or 600 miles on the scooter. Went out to wash the bike this morning and look at the rear drive. Oil is wicking out. I will be going to the dealer today to show them and see what they have to say. Warranty? This is in other locations throughout the seam. My 1958 bmw Isetta that has a chain rear drive in an oil bath does not wick oil that I restored 12 years ago.

My GT was doing the same thing. No gasket, no kidding.
It was possibly inproper torque on the bolts, they said.
Also asked I keep an eye on it, you do the same eh?

Got a call from my dealer today, he now has all 3 colors in stock. He has one coming which he has me in mind for, which will be a red one. I don't really have a strong attraction OR dislike for any of the colors, so thinking I will wait for the ordered one to come in, figuring the latest one built might have any early bugs worked out? I think the red is the most "interesting" color combo, the beige doesn't have a really strong color/2 tone contrast, the black is nice but no 2 tone at (all I don't think), which is fine if 2 tone isn't your thing. Trolling for opinions.
Gilly

IMHO, there's a reason they used the platinum bronze for the photos, but I'm biased. :) It does look extra "BMW-y" in this color I think.

My GT was doing the same thing. No gasket, no kidding.
It was possibly inproper torque on the bolts, they said.
Also asked I keep an eye on it, you do the same eh?

Mine's got a little bit as well, though so little that I'm not worried about a leakage rate, I'm going to have them look at it when I bring it back to have the drop protectors installed (hopefully they'll at long last be here in a another week or so).

ordered a pair - they call them safety pads. Also ordered a couple of other enhancements. Will report when they arrive!

Have your pads shown up yet? If not, did your dealer tell you when they thought they'd make it? Mine were ordered and paid for 3 months ago now and no sign of them.

Going up to the dealer this Saturday, if the weather cooperates at all, to look at colors.

Wife was really attracted to the platinum bronze, they have one on the floor with the top case already added, plus the charger pigtail and scuff guard, so getting that one. Didn't bring camera.

Wife was really attracted to the platinum bronze, they have one on the floor with the top case already added, plus the charger pigtail and scuff guard, so getting that one. Didn't bring camera.

Congrats! I love mine.

When you say it has the scuff guard, do you mean the drop protectors on the body panels or something else? (I ordered and paid for these almost 4 months ago and they're still claimed to be on back order, getting ready to call BMW NA about it.)

The clear plastic film to keep you from scuffing up the paint in the step-through area. Like this
http://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-c-650-gt/paint-protection/
I'm unsure what film they used and if they just do it like shown in the link for every bike? I would think they would at least make up a set of templates so they don't have to go through that every time. They said they also did the fuel door.
Am glad they had one with the trunk already on it so I don't even have to think about getting that done. It's (the top case) a little smaller than I had imagined. Going TO work I have to bring a sort of soft-sided brief case (I call it a brief-bag), just to carry work stuff in. I drive a intercity bus, so thinks like log book, a few manuals and maps, couple screwdrivers, glasses, cell phone, junk like that, I am not gone on overnights, so not all that much but I like to be prepared. And also a lunch box, I have used a minimate cooler, big enough for a 6 pack I think (no I don't drink my lunch, LOL), but that size, but I can get something else if I need to. But I am thinking the breif-bag might fit under the seat if I keep some of the junk cleared out (per my wife, LOL), and the lunch box I think will fit in the top case. Whae I am AT work, typically just need to store my helmet and jacket, and again I think this will work fine as well. The helmet I tried to stow under the seat back when I did my roadtest in October and my full face Shoei did fit under the seat, although the last inch or so before latching did seem to be a bit of a push, but it did latch. So thinking the helmet might fit better in the top case and the jacket (armored), I feel confident will go under the seat just fine.
Am really looking forward to spring and riding this, I think it will be a very good "fit" for the riding I do now.

They do have the top case liner, I would really like to see more of that. The sort of thing that might work better for my brief-bag, depending on how much is added to it for storing small items. Isn't there a few different aftermarket places that make stuff up, more or less "to order" to fit in top cases and saddlebags??

Just looked around, the one company I was thinking of is Kathy's
http://kathysjourneydesigns.com/

Back