• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It's BMW Scooter Time!

BMW Motorcycles of Baton Rouge got one in ! Nice bike.

Kinda freaky when you grab the clutch to start and it does not pull in ! :doh

saw two of the 650s at my dealership today.....nice....very RT'ish if i may.....should be a GREAT commuter if nothing else.

Quick and Dirty look at the C650 GT

DSCN0589-L.jpg

I'll give you a quick walk around, show you and tell you some stuff.

DSCN0587-L.jpg

Bike looks good.

DSCN0595-L.jpg

Here's the display. Fuel just to right of spedo. Tach to extreme right. You can also see i have both the grips and seat on so you can see where that stuff is shown.

DSCN0600-L.jpg

Key controls alot right here. Gas hatch, seat and if you want to lock the left glovebox you can, just swing the bars full left. Cigarette style powerlet in there.

DSCN0611-L.jpg

Left controls. Toggle info. Toggle trip. Windshield. Switch style turn signal controls, no paddles, auto canceling. Pistol style hi-beam control. Emergency flasher. Horn below turn signal and its got some stones.

DSCN0614-L.jpg

Right side controls. Grips on top, seat and starter/kill. One of the really nice new features is that you can set the riders grips and/or seat to be "auto", temperature sensitive output. No more jumping in and out.

DSCN0602-L.jpg

Push key in turn right

DSCN0603-L.jpg

Up pops the seat.

DSCN0604-L.jpg

DSCN0606-L.jpg

Nice and big in there. And lit. And also I noticed it may get a little warm.

DSCN0615-L.jpg

Push key in turn left

DSCN0616-L.jpg

Fuel hatch pops open (just in front of seat)

DSCN0601-L.jpg

More stuff you might want to know. Chain drive/oil bath. Trans is a CVT.

DSCN0607-L.jpg

Someone asked about rear wheel clearance when on center stand?

DSCN0608-L.jpg

Rear disc and the can. Engine note is nize.

DSCN0593-L.jpg

Dual discs in front. Very stoppy.

DSCN0594-XL.jpg

I look at this face and I say . . . . "The Owl . . . . . Achilles"?

Now I'm going to go ride . . . . . more later.

Last edited:
Power socket

When you leave the bike do not leave anything plugged into the power socket as the power stays on even when the bike key is out. You may kill the battery.

I want to put an additional power socket into the scooter and have tried a few locations around the seat so I may plug my heated suit in. There is no space I can find. The only place I have found is in between the handlebars, I am going to put one there tied into the socket in the glove box and I will also put a toggle switch inside the glove box to turn it off. This is not really a good place for the heated suit but it will be a good location for a gps. Any suggestions for the heated suit plug.

When you leave the bike do not leave anything plugged into the power socket as the power stays on even when the bike key is out. You may kill the battery.

A statement that applies to all BMW without Canbus.

BTW, salesman told me there's an Akrapovic muffler available for the scooters.:blush

Wezul, thanks for the detailed pictures.
Did I understand your right, that the power socket is inside a compartment and not easily used for heated gear?

Inside the left lockable glovebox, yes.
My dealer is already talking to me about more electrics.

Thanks for the writeup. A&S has an online owners manual to peruse as well. They don't discuss changing the oil, I thnk they refer to a CD manual you can buy.

I think the idea there was if you wanted to leave something in the lockbox and charge it, like mobile phone, mp3 player or whatever. Lockable, full left turn and full left key.

Did I mention the side stand has a kill switch and is also an immobilizer? Will not budge with the side stand down.

Thanks for the writeup. A&S has an online owners manual to peruse as well. They don't discuss changing the oil, I thnk they refer to a CD manual you can buy.

The work shop CD is not available yet and the owners manual can be downloaded in many locations as Gilly said A&S cycle or here http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/bikes/C650GT these are readily available and brochures from all over the world you just have to search on google

A&S cycle has all the part numbers and prices and will ship them to you in a few days. The top box for example $353 bracket $175, cushion $96, colour panels $41 each and the lock $55. The tunnel bag is $148. Spend spend spend

Last edited:
Yeah lots of neat accessories available.
The few i am curious about:
The wide angle mirrors (they have a 25 cent word for them, aspherical?), wonder if this is a replacement for the entire mirror or just the mirror glass itself.
And also this cold/wind/rain guard, unsure how exactly it works, but looks like it sort of encloses the leg area, unsure how you put your foot or feet down, maybe i misunderstand what it is, I don't think it's apparel though, I think it attaches to the bike.
EDIT< here this, it's called a scooter coat:
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=125650

Would LOVE to see cruise offered, really have enjoyed this on the K1200GT.

Was looking through the owners manual, am surprised it had MORE tools than my K1200GT wedge. I see it has an adjustment spanner for rear spring tension, I was wondering if it was adjust able or not. Has spare fuses too, again which is a change from my 1200.
Battery is inside one of the front side panels, looks like not too much of a chore to get in there, not like the Tupperware on my 1200. The foot rest panels come off for accessing things like the oil tank and coolant tank, but again they seem to have made everything easy to get to. There is evidently a slot to view coolant level, and the oil level can be check with the instrument panel electrically. But there is a dipstick inthe tank as well. I've gotten used to checking it electrically.
Am wondering if a significant amount of rear bodywork comes off to work on the engine and if that would be a real chore or not.
Wish I would have remembered to try the horn on the roadtest. As you may have read on another thread my roadtest was cut a little short.

Oh and for those already riding one, what is your impression of the windshield? It has that "Euro" straight cut on top. It was pretty chilly when i rode on Saturday but seemed like it might be OK, or possibly a bit taller might help, and I am not that tall. I think it would be an excellent summer windshield but for this time or year might want a taller one.

I got to test ride a 'Sport' model on Saturday. First I noticed a lot of buffeting from the top of the windshield on my 5'9" body. The seat was rather tall and putting my foot down I only was able to just touch with my toes. While driving it seemed that I was riding very high . With my Burgman I feel I am riding much lower which gives a better feeling of security. The exhaust note was like the the growl of a sports car with an aftermarket exhaust system. The novelty was interesting but can become tiresome after awhile.

The scooter was very quick off the line and had very good braking ability. The display had all of the computerized information that you might find in their cars but to see it while driving would cause you to take your eyes off of the road.

As for storage space. I couldn't measure it though I thought my Burgman would handle more groceries. Adding the optional top box would help alot. So would adding the heated hand grips not available on the Burgman.

If I were looking for an automatic motorcycle this would fill the bill. If you are looking for a scooter, I would stick with the Japanese varieties.

BMW vs Burgman

The BMW sport is not a fair comparison as it is built for a different clientele. You cannot compare a banana and Apple you have to compare a red apple to a green apple. The GT would be a fair comparison as that is what I did. There is more storage under the Gt's seat than the Burgman. The reason I did not go to Burgman was it is a 10 year old model and the design could change any day and that would leave me with an old design. I would not feel right going to a BMW rally. The resale value would not be there with a Burgman. The 2012 Burgman I looked at had all the same features as the Gt's heated grips heated seat, power windshield and other items. With suzuki I could not test ride the scooter but BMW had no problem test riding. The Burgman also weighed in at about 10% heavier. That was the deciding factor. I wanted to ride and then spend my money. For me money was not the issue as I could have had the suzuki on the road Pdi freight tax everything in for under 10 thousand and the BMW over 15 (i am in Canada) and that is the way it is. As for the Burgman why is there a 2011 and a 2012 model still on the floor I think the Burgman may have had its day

Oh and for those already riding one, what is your impression of the windshield? It has that "Euro" straight cut on top. It was pretty chilly when i rode on Saturday but seemed like it might be OK, or possibly a bit taller might help, and I am not that tall. I think it would be an excellent summer windshield but for this time or year might want a taller one.

I am 5'6" tall and I find the windshield to be perfect at the peak height in look through the top inch so I lower it to look over by about an inch with no wind buffeting. If I get wind it is from the side wind.

I should have mentioned my Burgman is the 400 model. It is several years old and is a proven model without any problems. You're right about the resale though. I only paid $2400 for it with 3k miles on it. I took it for a 2000 mile trip and found it very comfortable. Each to their own.

I still drive my BMW R100 and am very happy with that.

Thanks Jeff.

I found, what member 6659 noticed, that this is a fairly tall machine. I don't think I could come near to flat-footing both feet.
Although I have always had the habit of just putting down my left foot and keeping my right foot on the rear brake. Of course the CVT and hand-operated rear brake would mean that there is no reason for me to keep doing this, but I think that this is what I'll keep doing. Pretty used to tal bikes after this long on BMWs.

Thanks Jeff.

I found, what member 6659 noticed, that this is a fairly tall machine. I don't think I could come near to flat-footing both feet.
Although I have always had the habit of just putting down my left foot and keeping my right foot on the rear brake. Of course the CVT and hand-operated rear brake would mean that there is no reason for me to keep doing this, but I think that this is what I'll keep doing. Pretty used to tal bikes after this long on BMWs.

I am flat foot on left foot or toes on both as you said, this is the way bmw does things. The Burgman is 1 inch shorter same thing about tip toes or flat foot

Still shorter than my old k75T

I should have mentioned my Burgman is the 400 model. It is several years old and is a proven model without any problems. You're right about the resale though. I only paid $2400 for it with 3k miles on it. I took it for a 2000 mile trip and found it very comfortable. Each to their own.

I still drive my BMW R100 and am very happy with that.

The resale is important if you buy new but the lack of resale is important if you buy used. I bought a like new 2008 Burgman 400 last Friday for $3200. It is exactly like the 2013 model other than it doesn't have ABS. They are a tried and true product that has proven to be very reliable and there is a fairly good accessory market independent of the manufacturer.

I find it interesting that I can change the gear ratio by changing the sliders in the CVT to a heavier or lighter weight at a cost of under $60 and it takes only a little while.

Back