• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It's BMW Scooter Time!

burgie 450. The BMW 650 is more expensive but the quality is there. Aside from the extra power it is a more solid ride. The LCD dash could have used more backlighting but i will get used to it. Ele windshield is nice too. ps no goodies!

Backlighting might be adjustable???
Looks really good. Does the color have some blueness to it? In the pic it looks like classic black.

burgie 450. The BMW 650 is more expensive but the quality is there. Aside from the extra power it is a more solid ride. The LCD dash could have used more backlighting but i will get used to it. Ele windshield is nice too. ps no goodies!

As in a previous note it would not be a fair comparison with the Burgman 450 and the BMW GT

Looked at the owners manual online and can't find info on adjusting the backlighting. Could also be automatic.

Well that's weird, it's called sapphire black and even in pics from BMW I thought they made it look like a very dark blue color.
Yeah the TPM will be nice to have, my 1200GT was a bit too early to have it, although I guess it was always considered an option, it seems like the newer the bike the more likely it is to have all the goodies.

I still won't have a factory xenon lowbeam, I figured that would at least be an option, will be interesting to see if owners add this on or not, or aux lighting.

Will still be missing on the cruise.

Oil change

Okay today I was looking at the owners manual as to what the oil in need for the c650 gt as I have done my 1000 km or 600 miles and it is time to do my first oil change. The owners manual I downloaded off the Internet states that I am to use castrol power 1 racing sae 5w-40 and a bunch of numbers and letters behind. In the owners manual that came with my bike states sae 15w-50 and a bunch of letters and numbers. I picked up the phone and called the 2 of the local dealers to me and still I got different answers. One of the dealers stated that they put 10w-40 in all their bikes. I asked that one of the mechanics call me and he told me to go by the written manual that states 15w-50 the mechanic also said that I could use castrol oil as long as it is the motorcycle grade 15w-50.
The one dealer I called was also telling me to use full synthetic oil. I asked the mechanic what oil and he told me use regular mineral oil till at least the second major (which is about 40000 km or 24000 miles) till things set in. This equals the 4th oil change including the break in period.
I have also read on the Internet about oil with the letters sj and to not use it. The owners manual says it is fine. So I am changing the oil tomorrow.
At this time the dealers still do not know as this is still a new product. When I got my scooter their computer system was not able to communicate with my scooter as there software was not compatible at the time.

Last edited:
Okay today I was looking at the owners manual as to what the oil in need for the c650 gt as I have done my 1000 km or 600 miles and it is time to do my first oil change. The owners manual I downloaded off the Internet states that I am to use castrol power 1 racing sae 5w-40 and a bunch of numbers and letters behind. In the owners manual that came with my bike states sae 15w-50 and a bunch of letters and numbers. I picked up the phone and called the 2 of the local dealers to me and still I got different answers. One of the dealers stated that they put 10w-40 in all their bikes. I asked that one of the mechanics call me and he told me to go by the written manual that states 15w-50 the mechanic also said that I could use castrol oil as long as it is the motorcycle grade 15w-50.
The one dealer I called was also telling me to use full synthetic oil. I asked the mechanic what oil and he told me use regular mineral oil till at least the second major (which is about 40000 km or 24000 miles) till things set in. This equals the 4th oil change including the break in period.
I have also read on the Internet about oil with the letters sj and to not use it. The owners manual says it is fine. So I am changing the oil tomorrow.
At this time the dealers still do not know as this is still a new product. When I got my scooter their computer system was not able to communicate with my scooter as there software was not compatible at the time.

The BMW dealers are switching over to Castrol and it looks like this.
4718824-2.jpg

Some dealers may still have oil in stock that's bottled in the grey BMW jug.
The slant 4 bikes take 5W40, the boxers take 10W50 and the F bikes 10W40.
I would go by what your printed manual states and use the 15W50 if your dealer has it.
As for using dino oil for awhile, or going with the synthetic the first change, you'll get different answers from different dealers and the manual is not clear on this.

Oreilly's Auto Parts sell this oil in 10W40 and 20W50, but they do not sell 5W40 or 15W50

Well I don't know if you are actually asking for advice or what.

But I guess everyone has an opinion:
The advice on no synthetic I think is bad. This is very old school, there was a lot of distrust of synthetic when it came out and all has turned out to be bunk. The think probably even left the factory with synthetic in it and even if it didn't you are still OK to use it.

BMW is in Castrols pockets for some reason. The oil BMW itself sells is not Castrol, it is all marketing. Spectro makes BMWs oil for the dealers in the USA. I would either use BMW oil or Spectro, even though some say Spectro uses different additives for the stuff they make for BMW, myself I highly doubt it.

You can use any appropriate viscosity. No idea how much longer you will ride this season, like if you are a 'rounder??? If so I can see using an oil which would be a 0W or 5W lower number. If not a 'rounder than I'd go with the 15W-50.

I thought the dealer was supposed to do the first check? Or you just want to avoid that price and just do an oil change? I understand if you want to do that. On my previous bike I had them do the 600 mile, then they didn't see it for a maintenance service untill the 18K. I had it in there for recalls and stuff but not maintenance, not even tires. I would consider the first service something I'd really want recorded as having been done, just in case of a blowup of some sort and the maintenance was called in to question.

Gilly

The BMW dealers are switching over to Castrol and it looks like this.
Some dealers may still have oil in stock that's bottled in the grey BMW jug.

I read this and decided to check with my dealer, since it's been a year since I needed to buy oil for my 1200GT and don't want to misspeak, and he says they are still getting the grey bottle/Spectro stuff, which is also what the shop gets from BMW in bulk (drums) for use in the shop. So, don't know what to think, maybe some dealers are changing to Castrol and some aren't?:dunno
I didn't ask when he last received an order of oil in bottles.
"Scooter Time" thread now goes downhill as it has turned in to the dreaded "oil thread"!
Gilly

On a final note I have no problem really with any oil brand. I can see using the Castrol as BMW does state that it promotes this product. Before BMW promoted Castrol in it's literature and manuals, I noted that BMW oil was packaged by (and I assume refined/formulated by) Spectro so I became a minor supporter of just cutting out BMW (due to the trip to the dealer) and found several local shops selling Spectro, so I started using them and never had a problem. Spectro does market itself strictly to the motorcycle and power sport industry, so they are "cycle people' and I can certaily get behind that.
http://www.spectro-oils.com/
ANY oil meeting/exceeding the API classification for the bike can be used without worry though, IMHO.
Gilly

The reason I do not want to go to the dealer is they will set the computer system to have the service light come on every 10000 km or 6000 miles and I would have to have them reset the light unless I buy the tool needed at a price of $300. I may buy the tool one day but not yet. I have the checklist for the 1000 km check and there is nothing they do mechanical except Change the oil every thing else is visual and a test ride. I was told by the dealer to keep all receipts for warranty if needed.

I can see what you mean. Sort of.

It might be just me, but if something happens and it comes down to the regional rep to make a decision on something that happened, I'd rather have him see that he dealer did at least the first service.

Not understanding the logic concerning the service indicator. The clock is ticking, so to speak, right now, annually or 6K. How does doing the first service yourself keep that from happening?

I
Not understanding the logic concerning the service indicator. The clock is ticking, so to speak, right now, annually or 6K. How does doing the first service yourself keep that from happening?

When the dealer does a service he resets the service reminder. If you bring the bike in at 2,000 miles, he sets it to come on in another 6,000 miles, so the service reminder will show up at 8,000 miles. The service reminder does not come on at 6,000, 12,000, 18,000 and 24,000 miles.

If the dealer does not do the 600 mile check, I have the feeling the service reminder will still come on, but I don't know for sure.

Pretty sure it will. I would be curious to know if the service reminder will come on for the first check???
The logic seems to be that prior to bringing in the bike that there is no service reminder, that the dealer is "activating" the service reminder, I am sure it is active right off the assembly line.

Pretty sure it will. I would be curious to know if the service reminder will come on for the first check???
The logic seems to be that prior to bringing in the bike that there is no service reminder, that the dealer is "activating" the service reminder, I am sure it is active right off the assembly line.

We had over 800 miles when we took our bikes in for the 600 mile service and the service reminder did not come on.

BTW Jeff, the service reminder is not a big deal. On our bikes it's very small text and you barely notice it. I let ours stay on for 7,000 miles or so to see what it would do, before I reset it with my GS-911.
I never got a yellow triangle, no horns honking, and no citations from the service reminder police :)

Is there a DIY tech library for the C 650?

No scooter forum at this time. The last two months the admins have been busy with the virus and getting the site back in order. It appears rebuilding the site is 99% complete, so maybe we'll see a scooter forum soon.

Back