• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

" Rear Wheel Speed Sensor: Signal implausible" 2009 r1200rt

tgf429

Plasterman
Does anyone know what this means and how to correctly issue (" Rear Wheel Speed Sensor: Signal implausible" ). This is the fault code I am receiving from my GS 911. Bike is a 2009 R1200RT with only 4700 miles. Have reset the fault and it keeps coming on.

Thanks

Tom

It means the ABS module (or ZFE module) can't read the signal.. (not sure which one sees it first..)

First I'd R&R the rear wheel sensor (good time to do a fluid flush of the rear drive), and see if there is a lot of fuzz on it. It is slightly magnetic, so enough fuzz could cause it to lose it's signal. I'd also carefully follow the wire from it and make sure it isn't pinched or cut anywhere along it's length. Finally, I'd try reseating the connectors for the ABS and ZFE modules.

What year did BMW switch to the non-magnetic sensor ?

Have done the flush already and checked the wiring. How do you reseat the connectors for the ABS and ZFE modules.

Thanks

Have done the flush already and checked the wiring. How do you reseat the connectors for the ABS and ZFE modules.

Thanks

Ummm... on an R12R it's not a big job. On an RT, I suspect it's a bit more of a chore. They're all located under the fuel tank, so obviously - that has to come off. For that to come off a lot of plastic has to come off on an RT.. They sorta built the bike around those components.

You might look for a way too tight tie wrap on the sensor wire. There is some history on those cutting the wire inside the sheath.

When I got that issue on my F650 it turned out to be a faulty wheel sensor. Replacing the sensor cured the problem. If by chance the sensor is loose and too far from the slotted disk you could get the same synptom. Or, ditto if the wire is broken.

Replaced the rear wheel sensor. Seems to have fixed the problem. The GS911 was right on. It has paid for itself with one problem. Highly recommend one.

Tom

One US importer, but there are two kinds: USB only and Bluetooth/USB. If you want to travel with your GS-911 and you don't travel with a laptop then the bluetooth version may be worthwhile for you... assuming your bluetooth receiver is compatible with the GS-911.

iPhones will not work with the GS-911. Some android phones work, some don't work. There is a test program you can download from hexcode (the manufacturer of the device) that will test if your phone is compatible.

Actually there are 4 types. Each version (USB/Bluetooth and Bluetooth only) is available in two varieties: one ("Enthusiast") that is limited to 10 VINs, and one ("Professional") that is unlimited.

Dunno that they did.. did they?

My '05 GS speed sensor would collect metal.My '09 GSA had a different design speed sensor and never had any metal on it,but the drain plug magnet always had metal on it,so it too was making metal.I asked a BMW dealer,he told me that BMW changed the sensors and they were no longer magnetic.I don't know about the '12 RT,yet.I have a Dimple drain plug in the RTs final drive,maybe it will help.

Actually there are 4 types. Each version (USB/Bluetooth and Bluetooth only) is available in two varieties: one ("Enthusiast") that is limited to 10 VINs, and one ("Professional") that is unlimited.

The enthusiast/professional distinction is a software upgrade. Pay the extra money and you can upgrade an enthusiast to a professional model. Details here.

Actually I think it's USB only and USB/Bluetooth and then both are available in professional or enthusiast's software. You can upgrade from enthusiast (can service up to a limit of 10 vin numbers) to professional (unlimited vin numbers) at any time by making an on line payment.

The US importer is Ted's BeemerShop.

Bottom line. The GS911 can and will save you money if something goes wrong that can be fixed by a person with some basic mechanical skills. If I had the sensor problem diagnosed and repaired at the dealer bill would have probably been over $400 easy. Sensor $90, GS911= $349 + no bike down time at the dealer.

Funny thing when the dealer asked how I knew it was the sensor and how I got the fault code, they acted like they never heard of the GS911? They were also reluctant to discuss what other scenarios that could possibly be causing this fault, but very happy to sell me the part.

Last edited:
The enthusiast/professional distinction is a software upgrade. Pay the extra money and you can upgrade an enthusiast to a professional model. Details here.

True. But the choice is available at initial purchase, not just as a pay-later sofware proposition:

Ted Porter's Beemershop GS911 page
http://www.gs911usa.com/ shows four purchase choices, not two.

Even HexCode's own page http://www.hexcode.co.za/shop shows four items, not two.

Last edited:
I changed my battery on my'17 RT and now I am getting this fault. When I use my cruise control it pops out with a yellow warning triangle on the dash. I reset the cruise and it goes for awhile and it happens again. Then I reset it and go for awhile and the abs warning comes on and the triangle comes on. I have to shut the bike off to reset it and the cycle begins again. Could I have cut the wire when I inserted the new battery?

Bernie

Back