• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Battery Charging?

dadayama

I have a Nuvi 500, should the unit be hooked to power all the time or should the battery be left to drain?

Not sure on how things work now days, but i thought there was something about letting batteries run down before charging... is that still true?

I have a Nuvi 500, should the unit be hooked to power all the time or should the battery be left to drain?...{snip}

The N??vi 500/550 use a lithium-ion battery. This battery technology DOES NOT have the "memory" issues of the previous technology. In fact, l-ions don't seem to drain very much when not used. I've actually had mine in hibernation for several months only to find it better than half-charged when spring arrived!

It's a great, IPX7 waterproof unit for motorcycle use if you don't need all the bells and whistles. :thumb

I have a Nuvi 500, should the unit be hooked to power all the time or should the battery be left to drain?

When I'm not using my Nuvi 550 I store it in my desk and do not keep it connected to power. The battery has a great shelf life and like THEO said it will not develope a memory.

Great! Thanks for the info...

What i meant by keeping it hooked to power was on the bike or in the car versus unplugging it until it needed charged again.

I've got a Nuvi 550 on my RT and have to disconnect it when not riding as it will run my battery down completely inside of a couple of days.
I have it wired direct with the Garmin 12V adapter.
Maybe my 550 or the power cable is bad...

What i meant by keeping it hooked to power was on the bike or in the car versus unplugging it until it needed charged again.

Not sure I understand. If it's connected to the bike or car it should be fully charged and will not need recharged the next time you use it.

Not sure on how things work now days, but i thought there was something about letting batteries run down before charging... is that still true?

Depends on the type of battery chemistry.

As far as Li-Ion batteries go, you can read How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries and other topics on the Battery University site.

For storage (not in the device or connected to anything), they are best left in the 40% state of charge condition.

I've got a Nuvi 550 on my RT and have to disconnect it when not riding as it will run my battery down completely inside of a couple of days.
I have it wired direct with the Garmin 12V adapter.
Maybe my 550 or the power cable is bad...

Oh yeah...I've had a dead battery twice when forgetting to unplug the Nuvi from my bike battery!!! Now I pull the plug first before I even power down the bike!! Learned that lesson the hard way!!

Back