• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New [to me] K1200LT '02

Hope you guys don't mind all these questions?

Anyone ever removed those "knee-pads" on the side?...wondering what it would look like without them? On this one they are dry cracked , might just remove them and paint under them if need be. I don't have it here yet, probably Mon,or Tue. I have no way of going to get it, and then get back,etc..so my friend is going to deliver it then.
Ron
No problems with the Qs -- that's why many of us are here.

It's been a while, but my memory is that the pads are held in place via screws/holes on the back side of the panel, and the surface under the pads is not smooth. I'd be more inclined to pick up used replacements from someplace like www.beemerboneyard.com, or taking the pads to a local upholstry shop to be recovered.

So now, I start looking for seat repair / replace options . Going to order a set of Continental tires,....winter's coming ....plenty of time to get it together.
I have my Roadster to ride.
Ron

Continental does NOT make tires for this bike, Avon, Metzler, Bridgestone and the only tires rated for the bikes weight. You HAVE to get the reinforced rear tire.

No kidding about this.

+3 on the tire warning/advice.

I once did my own research on buying a Dunlop, which was not a listed tire for my CLC. It was listed for a Harley dresser, but all the ratings matched up to the CLC also. The parts dept manager at my H-D/BMW dealership told me they would not even sell me the tire since I had told them of my plans to use it on the BMW. I was not insulted, I respected them for telling me that. SO, from that I got that the tire manufacturer's recommendations are to be taken seriously.

you can find parts on ebay my first choice is beemerboneyard going there
Friday to get a new frame for my 03 K1200LT .
Be careful on Ebay some parts are more then new ones so look up
parts and prices first I use Max BMW for new parts .
Once you ride a LT with all the fixings you will not want to be without them.
I saw somewhere there is a rack or cover to finish the look with out the trunk.
Ernie

oh ya the tires Metzler ME880 is all I ever use on mine and my father inlaw
uses them to over 100000 miles on his 99Lt
Ernie

you can find parts on ebay my first choice is beemerboneyard going there
Friday to get a new frame for my 03 K1200LT .
Be careful on Ebay some parts are more then new ones so look up
parts and prices first I use Max BMW for new parts .
Once you ride a LT with all the fixings you will not want to be without them.
I saw somewhere there is a rack or cover to finish the look with out the trunk.
Ernie

I have to ask, why do you need a new frame?

Long story
Salvage bike all fixed and runs great . I got it from Canada with a PA title.
New Jersey will not register it because it went to Canada and back.
So got new frame with clear N J title Now I have a tag and all is well.
Until this winter when I swap frames , I had it all apart before so no big deal
Need new shocks anyway and install a com system with CB.
And no you can not take knee pads off side panel not finished behind them .
Ernie

Long story
Salvage bike all fixed and runs great . I got it from Canada with a PA title.
New Jersey will not register it because it went to Canada and back.
So got new frame with clear N J title Now I have a tag and all is well.
Until this winter when I swap frames , I had it all apart before so no big deal
Need new shocks anyway and install a com system with CB.
And no you can not take knee pads off side panel not finished behind them .
Ernie

Sorry bout being so nosy, I was just concerned that the frame was another problem area..:blush

Actually, the panel behind the knee pads, is finished. I looked. But the holes are there for the knee panel screws. So my 'sorta-plan' now is to fill in the holes, and re-finish that area [of] the panel, and paint that the second color, which is going to be Ferro blue metallic. In sort of a Nike Swoosh...still thinking things over.

Back