• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Upper Penninsula Michigan Ride Suggestions

zenduddhist

Hi All,

I am going to have several days to ride in the Upper Penninsula. I have never been there. My starting and ending point will be at the Mackinac Bridge and I will have Friday afternoon/evening, all day Saturday, returning to the bridge on Sunday afternoon.

I am looking for suggestions on routes, rides, points of interests, etc. I prefer 2 lane highways with sweeping turns and beautiful scenery. I would really like to see some of Lake Superior. I don't mind being on 4 lanes if it means getting to better riding. I plan on staying in motels or hotels. So, any desinations or recomendations for lodging and dining are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Chris McCarthy

Mackinaw Trail

I rode this from Sault Ste Marie to St. Ignace recently. It's nice, rural, little traffic, but definitely not twisty. Very low key if you want to get off the slab, but not an outstanding ride.

#2 along Lake Michigan is close to the water in many places.

Don't know about great places to visit, but if you're near Ironwood, MI and need a clean and very reasonably prices motel, check out Quinn Motel, W US Hwy 2, 124 W Cloverland Drive. 906-932-4421 :thumb

You'll find another great road if you go north from St. Ignace to Sault St.Marie, and then head west along the coast of Lake Superior. It's absolutely gorgeous, through some heavily forested areas. And, as Steve said, it would be very worthwhile to visit the Pictured Rocks area.

You're in luck! I just got back from that area and I picked up the motorcycle guide. I'll scan and post info in the morning.

Thanks for the replies so far!

It looks like I am tentatively going to go to the Soo locks on Friday afternoon, take the road from Graind Marais to Munising and then head up to Marquette to spend the night. On Saturday I am going to ride around Copper Harbor, Houghton and the Keewanau Peninsula. Spend the night in Houghton and then ride back to the bridge and on to Traverse City on Sunday.

What do you think?

H58 from Grand Marais to Munising is a great road. They replaced a couple of years ago and it has big sweepers. When you get close to Munising stop at the Chimney Rock and take in the view. Grand Marais has a couple of great photo ops as well. Whitefish point has the shipwreck museum which is a good stop. Highway 2 along lake Michigan is great. The road to Drummond Island has some great views but Drummnd Island is a snooze. H58 IMHO is the best road there. Whatever you do stop at Java Joes in St. Ignace for breakfast. I promise you will to regret and do not judge by the looks. Joe is an old hippie who is there everyday and can fill you in on things to see as well. Coffee is good and coconut pancakes are kicking. Whatever you eat there it is fresh and made to order. P.S. If you take 6 from Petoskey you ride through the tunnel of trees which is pretty cool and then you can pick you 75 back up to the bridge. I love me some UP. Enjoy and ride safe.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114347703165768851651/LaborDayInDaUP?authkey=Gv1sRgCMSW7K_mypX6qgE

MIUPSooArea.jpg

Sorry, can't seem to get this to stay rotated. I spent the night at the Longship Motel in Sault St. Marie two weeks ago. The motel is a little dated but extremely clean. It's right across from the park and the locks. Can't beat the location. The owners are very friendly as well.

From Soo, I took Six Mile Road as suggested by the motel owner, to Brimley and followed the red route along Whitefish Bay to Paradise. There is a light house on this route. Then I took 123 south to Newberry, down to Route 2. I followed Route 2 along the lake to the Mackinac Bridge and over to Mackinaw City. There is some road construction on Route 2 but nothing to cause a major back up. Watch your speed tho! I got to meet the local Sheriff. :whistle

Chris, I PM'd you also.

Nice job MI on the ride plan. The only thing I could add to that great plan is to keep going north up the end of the Keeweenaw pennisula and visit Copper Harbor. I saw the aurora borealis there one summer night.

Back