• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Short (Funny) Video on Heart Attacks-Please Watch!

My Mom's best friend went to emergency with the chronic heart attack symptoms.

A few hours later they sent her home, she had a fatal cardiac arrest alone in her condo a few hours later.

Too many people ignore symptoms in women, that in men, would have the red flag raised.................Regards, Rod.

Great video. Thanks for the posting. I'm sorry to hear about your mom's friend Rod. That is a crime!

Wrong actress

Google, "BMI of women who have heart attacks".

Why is it that the "pretty" people end up in these advertisements? Research clearly shows that it is the people with high BMI, high cholesterol, and diabetes who have the highest risk of coronary problems.

The message to both men and women should be to get off your fat butts, eat less fat and sugar, exercise, quit smoking, drink moderately and live the good life.

Visit any retailer and see the things that have had to be modified to accommodate the morbidly obese customers.

RANT OVER.

I had one recently (a month ago, actually). No warning signs. Started my 26 mile bicycle trip, woke up later in the hospital. No memory of the bicycle trip, or of the day after. Short term memory returned the day after (I quit asking people why I was at the hospital every five minutes starting that day).

I'm 49, in fairly good health, the only stat that was off is that my good cholesterol was too low. Docs said exercise solves that. I replied "such as doing 26 mile bike rides?". Everything else was fine, BP, bad cholesterol levels, etc.

100% blockage in a minor artery triggered a genetic defect with the electrical center of the heart (ventricular fibrillation). They tell me I'm extremely lucky, ambulance arriving so quick, getting to the ER as fast as I did. Now I have a defib unit implanted in my chest for the rest of my life and no heart tissue damage.

Ironic thing is I had bronchitis in June and promised my GP that I would come back later for a full physical. That probably wouldn't have uncovered my blocked artery, but he may have found something (like the good cholesterol being too low).

Heart attacks, well, guess they can happen to anyone, regardless of BMI.

Heart attacks, well, guess they can happen to anyone, regardless of BMI.

Yes they do; but that is NOT the norm. I know many sedentary folks who rationalize their inactivity based on examples like yours. I remember when the founder of a runners magazine had his heart attack and the large number of my work associates who used that as an example of why they should not exercise. One example does not make a case; my reference was to the overwhelming number of heart problems associated with inactivity and obesity.

BTW, glad you came out on the good end.

I know many sedentary folks who rationalize their inactivity based on examples like yours.

Those sedentary folks have a desire to remain sedentary and thus make up excuses, though I'm betting they (well, the majority) actually do know better. They just don't want to exercise.

Thanks! Still trying to wrap my head around this experience. I'm too young for this stuff.

Scary!

Glad to hear you're OK now!

As much as we like to believe we can take charge of our lives and do all the right things, there is that heredity thing.

Thanks for sharing the video Holly.

Voni
sMiling

Yes they do; but that is NOT the norm. I know many sedentary folks who rationalize their inactivity based on examples like yours. I remember when the founder of a runners magazine had his heart attack and the large number of my work associates who used that as an example of why they should not exercise. One example does not make a case; my reference was to the overwhelming number of heart problems associated with inactivity and obesity.

Another way of saying this is that living a healthy active lifestyle of eating whole foods and regular exercise does not guarantee you a long healthy life. On the other hand, being an obese, sedentary person does guarantee you of a life that will be over sooner with a poorer quality of life than if you lived healthy. There are outliers in any statistical statement but are you willing to bet your life that you're one of the rare few?

I'm 49, in fairly good health, the only stat that was off is that my good cholesterol was too low.

Your problem could very well be from trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils). These not only raise your bad LDL cholesterol, they lower your good HDL cholesterol. Every time you eat french fries in a restaurant you are probably getting a mega-dose of trans fats. It's also common in baked goods. You have to read the ingredients, something that his hard to do in restaurants. Know what foods trans fats are likely to be found in and avoid them. You can find food without trans fats but again, you have to read the ingredients (no partially hydrogenated oils).

I was in the highest risk category for heart attack/stroke based on my cholesterol test numbers. I banned trans fats from my diet and saw my good cholesterol almost double, from 21 to 40. I am now in the lowest risk category based on cholesterol numbers.

I do walk to work most days and have my weight under reasonable control, although I could stand to lose 5 or 10 lbs.

Harry

Your problem could very well be from trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils). These not only raise your bad LDL cholesterol, they lower your good HDL cholesterol. Every time you eat french fries in a restaurant you are probably getting a mega-dose of trans fats. It's also common in baked goods. You have to read the ingredients, something that his hard to do in restaurants. Know what foods trans fats are likely to be found in and avoid them. You can find food without trans fats but again, you have to read the ingredients (no partially hydrogenated oils).

I was in the highest risk category for heart attack/stroke based on my cholesterol test numbers. I banned trans fats from my diet and saw my good cholesterol almost double, from 21 to 40. I am now in the lowest risk category based on cholesterol numbers.

I do walk to work most days and have my weight under reasonable control, although I could stand to lose 5 or 10 lbs.

Harry

I don't eat out much, and mostly try to stick close to Atkins. My bad LDL readings were fine, no issues. Fries, I consume maybe once every few weeks, etc.

Of course, the cigars I smoked probably didn't help things.

I walk roughly .75 miles each way to and from work (thus, 1.5 miles a day minimum) since I take the D.C. metro. I don't think that's too bad of a base, other summers I managed to get 1,500 bicycle miles under my belt.

I still can stand to lose 15 lbs though, but I'm a pretty big guy to start with.

Thanks Holly. I sent to others in my life who may give it some thought. Who knows, maybe that minor 'intervention' of forwarding it on could save a life. - Bob

Sorry about your heart attack Sherpa. I'm glad you got immediate care and it isn't worse! Just goes to show you that it can come as a total surprise!

Bob, I too am hoping that sending it on might save a life. I know I would be reacting exactly like the woman in the video. (Heard great things about the Salty Fog from Quinn. Maybe next year...)

yep! I just saw the video. Everybody thinks their life is just too busy to be bothered by a heart attack. IT HAPPENS! mine was over eight years ago and I was too busy to notice. First week on the new job as a boss, making sure everything was right with the world except myself. It was a minor one and caused by a blockage which was solved by a drug eluting stent but, I took no heeds to the warnings! My boss told me to go and see my doctor, my workers asked if I was OK, My doctor called the ambulance and before 5pm, I was scoped and stented. Within the week I was back to work. Now with meds and good monitoring by the docs, all looks perfect! Too bad age is starting to catch up with other parts of my body! We are no longer in an Ozzie and Harriet world for sure and in some ways, that is a good thing!

After being with my girl for 13 years we finally decided to tie the knot. I was thrilled until I found her dead at home. How sad, it took me 6 years to get on with my life after her loss. Take care of yourselves girls and don't blow off the slightest of signs. A simple appointment or er visit is a PIA but its really worth it!

When I first read the title,...I thought how can this be funny. So I watched it...and it actually was....but it does get the point across in a very serious way.

Very well done...Thanks for posting.

Back