• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Inflating the sleeping pad...

dadayama

So i just bought a new Therm-a-rest Neoair sleeping pad, which packs up to a tiny little package compared to my old self inflating Therm-a-rest.

But the new one has to be inflated by mouth, which takes few minutes, but not bad. I had an idea, and it worked and i think a person could use this for other applications as well.

I have a little tire air-compressor made just for motorcycles, so I went and bought a tire valve stem, the big rubber butt end works like lips. Hook up to your tire pump and then inflate away...

Hopefully that makes sense...

Great idea. How long did it take?

faster then blowing up by mouth that is for sure...

My old Therm-a-rest is one of those self inflating... so i was a bit spoiled... this new one packs down small... i mean really small... so i think it will be worth the effort... we'll find out later this month...

You're not supposed to blow into Therm-A-Rest pads

Your breath contains moisture, and that moisture will mildew inside your sleeping pad.

Therm-A-Rest pads - like sleeping bags - should never be stored rolled up/folded up/stuffed in a stuff sack.

Therm-A-Rest pads should be stored unrolled/unfolded, with the valves open. A great place to store them is under a bed. If the foam is only compressed when the pad is transported, then it won't "memorize" being compressed, and it will self-inflate on it's own as soon as the valve is opened.

There's nothing wrong with a couple of breaths into the valve if you like a firmer sleep pad, but inflating the entire thing with your breath means the pad is no longer a "self-inflator", and that it's likely infested with mildew and mold.

If you want to put your lips around a straw connected to a container full of mildew and mold, be my guest :)

Actually, Therm-a-rest has a different view of inflating their mattresses. http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/FAQ

WhatÔÇÖs the best way to inflate my NeoAirÔäó mattress?
Unroll your NeoAir mattress and open the valve. Blow air into the first section of the mattress and close the valve. Push the air from the inflated section into the bottom, non-inflated section of the mattress with the valve still closed. Open the valve and continue inflation. A regular length mattress takes an average of 20 strong breaths to inflate fully. Once inflated, you can personalize firmness by lying on the mattress with the valve near your head. Simply reach up and open the valve slightly to create your ideal level of support.

Will moisture build-up and ruin my mattress if I blow into it?
No. We have spent decades refining our coatings and fabrics to withstand such things and this assurance of lasting quality separates Therm-a-Rest mattresses from every other competitor. However, minimizing moisture is always a good idea. Always allow self-inflating mattresses to inflate on their own as much as possible, then just top them off with a few breaths at the end for added firmness. We also recommend storing your mattress unrolled and with the valve open. This keeps the foam core at maximum loft and allows any moisture build-up to evaporate slowly.

Back