• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How do you protect your vintage bike from rust?

Bullett

I'm moving from hot, dry Utah to the Oregon coast. I am wondering what people in humid climates do to protect their bikes from rust. Any suggestions? I'm referring to my R26, by the way, and that is why I posted this in vintage.

Thanks!

There was a product review in the August ON about a storage tent that is supposed to prevent rust. Beyond that, I might consider spraying the engine with WD-40 and wiping off the excess, repeating this every couple of months. Probably routine washings to get rid of dirt buildup which could hide rust starting spots.

There is a product called Gibbs.

http://www.gibbsbrandlubricant.com/

This stuff is far & away better than WD-40. I've used it on bare steel, painted steel, magnesium, aluminum. I wouldn't use it on your "painted surfaces", like tank & fenders, but frame, pipes, wheels.

Lasts much longer.

John.

I'm hoping the bike will be a bit more "peppy" at sea level than it is at 5000 feet. :brow

Hmmm...if you change nothing in your carb setup, then you do down in altitude where the density of air increases...won't you be running poorly at that point with less gas for the amount of air being sucked in?

1. garage storage
2. If you are anywhere where there is salt, you MUST wash and dry.

A buddy of mine picked up an old honda a few winters back. He had it on an open trailer when he took it home. He didn't wash off the snow and ice, along with salt. It looked like it was soaked in brine when last I saw it.

In the past, I cleaned off some steel parts on my bikes (usually nuts and bolts, brake actuator arms, etc.), and painted with a low gloss clear coat. I didn't have problems with rust after that, and it looked bone stock.

Thanks for all the suggestions! The R26 rode to the coast in the back of a pick-up truck and is currently in the garage with her sister RT.

The carburetor is jetted for sea level and was running rich at 5000 feet. It has a jet that wouldn't come out. I was going to send the carb in to Bing for a rebuild, but then we decided to move. I will put in some fresh gas and give it a try.

the R26 likes her new home!

Finally took the bike out of the house to put in some gas and see how she runs. Battery was dead and would not take a charge. New battery and some gas and voila! [video]https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=4686915404065" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>[/video]

I use Fluid Film which is lanolin based protective film and easily removed for spring riding.

Back