• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

N104 N-Com Modular

rrookey

RROOKEY
I am thinking about getting one and would like some feedback for those wearing a modular helmet, Pro's & Con's I ride a R1200GS

Have had many Nolans and a few other flip-up/modular helmets...also wore full face and didn't care for the tight quarters.

Pro's are being able to open helmet up to talk,drink,sneeze or spit :hungover easily...get some air at stops and ride that way if you choose to. Easier to put on with glasses.

Cons are more noise (earplugs/tunes remedy that) Some folks think they are not as safe as solid chin bars...have had a few tests:banghead and all worked as advertised...never had one come open when it should not have.

I have a n103 and a 1200gsa. The nolan is loud, but I've heard that the n104 is quieter. I now use a Shoei Neotec and it is very quiet compared to my old nolan. The chin bar is very close on the nolan so if you hve a big chin you might not fit. I don't and I could still stick my chin forward and hit the bar.

Thanks Guys, the New N104 has an extended chin piece to give additional room.. I head that they were louder then a full face but I ride with ear plugs all the time so that is not an issue. :thumb

I have a N104 that I currently wear. Here are my impressions
1. For a modular helmet, it is quite quiet. I have less noise in my 104 than I did in my Bell full face......
2. These helmets run a bit small. If you get one, order one size larger than your current helmet
3. Break in took about 3 weeks of wearing every day. The helmet was tight for a long time. I thought it would never settle in.
4. The 104 is still snug on my cheeks. I am a fan of this, as with the chin strap plenty loose to be comfortable, the helmet does not wobble around, but is not so tight it gives me a headache.
5. Airflow inside the 104 is great, you just do not realize it. With a small head cover damp with water, I can stay comfortable on my LT well in to the mid to high 90's
6. The n-com specific to the 104 is sweet.

I like this helmet very much, and would strongly recommend it to anyone it fits well.

I bought a cheap Bilt modular this summer just see if i would like it. I do. I ll admit that when it s over 90 i wear a Fulmer half helmet for local trips so maybe that s why i dont understand everybody talking about the noise issue. This cheap Bilt seems just as quiet as my Shoei. Been looking at better quality modulars and want to try on the Nolan, but also looking at a few others. The Shoei just doesn t fit my head, and something that cost that much is going to have to really impress me to buy again.

I bought a Harley Davidson (HJC) modular and liked the convenience of being able to flip it up for gas, conversation, etc. In August I bought a Shoei Neotec and it is much quieter than the HJC. I do like the modulars but have not personally crash-tested one. I was looking at the Nolans, too, but there was not a dealer near me who carried them.

Thanks, I think I am going to purchase the N104 I currently have the SCALA system so I'll be keeping that for a while but when the Riding partner decides to get a new helmet I can talk her into a Nolan as well. then I'll look at there intercom system.. Thank again for all the input. :scratch

N104

I purchased my N104 this Spring and I love it. Good ventilation, fairly quiet, much lighter and better balanced than the 103 it replaced.
Just a note on the Scala. Be sure there is a clear space on the left side of the helmet to mount it. The control for the sun visor is there on the left and you don't want to interfere with that. I have the B4 system and it is well done.

I have the N103 and just got a Schuberth C3 - there is a HUGE difference in noise!

Someone stated "I ride with ear plugs all the time so that is not an issue", but this is simply not true. Earplugs make a loud helmet bearable and not dangerous to your hearing, but it still isn't actually quiet. I always ride with earplugs and the quieter C3 is much nicer!

That said, I have not tried the N104 and it is supposed to be significantly quieter than the N103. I still don't think it is considered to be as quiet as the C3 though.

On the positive side, the N-Com integration is very nice and the bluetooth implementation is pretty decent. However, as with all bluetooth intercom systems, they only work with others from the same manufacturer.

Rant on:
Why can't manufacturers get together and standardize intercoms so different brands can talk to each other?!?!?!
Rant off:

I also have an N43 and love the vast amount of visibility. The N104 is supposed to be closer to that, and from trying it on at a show, the visibility is much better than most modular helmets.

OK, I purchased the Nolan 104, wasn't to sure after a few days riding that I had made the right decision, just finished an Iron Butt on Saturday and I can now say I purchased the right helmet... it's still breaking in but I'm liking it more and more every day, having the abilitiy to lift the front section while riding to drink or eat is awesome, and at lights to lift to cool off is just another bonus, the anto fog screen works better then any helmet I have owned (from Aria to Scorpion and in between) my SCALA system works good as the internal section of the helmet is all curved for a comm-system.. and the tinted internal sun blocker is sweet.. loving this and will tell anyone looking for a modular this is the one to buy IMO... :dance

Back