• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which Way Do I Turn The Wheel WHen I Park?

It ain't road crown that wears out the left side of the tires first, it is how we park!!!!

When I put my bars to the right I find it much easier to mount The bike and lifting off the side stand.

Seems pretty stable when parked that way, too. :dunno

Ian

Thanks LMO1131, Its been too many years since I've watched monty python, now I have a plan for a rainy monday here in Virginia.

Can there truly be purpose and direction to life if one's motorcycle wheel is not pointed in the right direction?

:gerg

I don't have a digital inclinometer like poster lkraus and was unable to compare the right/left lean figures, so now I'm confused. Maybe it would be best to simply gently lay my RT over onto the ground when I park. The RT is pretty easy to get back up anyway and that would eliminate the worry that the wind or some careless person might knock it over. But then I've still got the left/right decision to deal with and the problem of the fuel pouring out all over my parking place.

Maybe I'll just continue leaving the bike in first gear while on the sidestand when I park, with the front wheel turned to the left and the ignition in the locked position. That seems to work OK for me so far.

Oh yeah, another thing...I always mount or dismount from the right side. Learned that from a motor cop a long time ago...keeps you out of the traffic if you happen to park parallel to the roadway. Yeah, yeah, I know most of us generally back in to the curb perpendicular or diagonal to the road, but it's become a habit for me to get on or off from the right no matter how I park the bike. :blah:blah:blah

Which Way Do I Turn The Wheel WHen I Park?

He should of ask which way should I or which way do you turn the wheel. As far as which way he turns it, left, right , center or random seem to cover it. :doh

Wow! This all seems rather, uhhhhh, retentive?
What about, pointing it whichever way feels more stabile for that particular spot? Such has been my traditional primitive habit.

Can there truly be purpose and direction to life if one's motorcycle wheel is not pointed in the right direction?

:gerg

Actually, to counter-steer, it must point in the wrong direction! :nyah

For what it's worth, I turn my wheel to the right when there is an "R" in the month (This also ensures the steering stops wear evenly). :thumb

Ooh. Something else to obsess over.

Worn steering stops.

Any suggestions on what type of lube should I use on those stops???? :dunno

I've noticed a couple folks mention this. Every R11/1150/12/K-bike I've owned will allow you to turn the ignition key to the locked position with the bars full left OR full right. I'm not aware of BMW doing this any differently on any individual models.

funny, in all the BMWs i've owned (airheads, R1100S, K75s, K1100s, F800GS) I have never found a fork lock that allows locking when bars turned to the right! same is true on ay other branded bike.
(edit- i got curious, so i checked it out. my R11 will lock to either side. thanks mark! still- I rarely use the steering lock, and still gonna lock to the left, as that one wants all the lean i can give it, and left turned goes that the best.)

to the OP's question-
most bikes prefer a left turn bar to park. its more stable, and only way the steering lock works. that is what we teach in the MSF BRC.
HOWEVER, my F800GS generally prefers right turn, due to its high saddle height, and extreme left lean. this makes mounting and getting the bike to an upright position easier. my WAG is that this is the reason that they recommended the right turn park.

Last edited:
funny, in all the BMWs i've owned (airheads, R1100S, K75s, K1100s, F800GS) I have never found a fork lock that allows locking when bars turned to the right! same is true on ay other branded bike.

to the OP's question-
most bikes prefer a left turn bar to park. its more stable, and only way the steering lock works. that is what we teach in the MSF BRC.
HOWEVER, my F800GS generally prefers right turn, due to its high saddle height, and extreme left lean. this makes mounting and getting the bike to an upright position easier. my WAG is that this is the reason that they recommended the right turn park.

My early K-100RS has the steering lock on the left side of the steering stem and there is no way to operate the steering lock if the forks are turned to the left. The left fork tube interferes with the key, making it completely impossible to lock the fork with the wheel turned to the left. It is always locked to the right.

WOW - I had no Idea!

Ok, so I have to admit, I had no idea how many replies I thought I would get to a simple question. I guess there is no right answer.

A couple of things:

1. On my bike you definitely can not lock the bike if the wheel is turned right.

2. One I got used to the right it does seem easier to grab the brake since it is closer to you as you get on the bike if it is pointed right.

3. I went back to the BMW Performance Center in SC and asked why they turn to the right and they said:

"The reason we park the bikes with the wheel pointed to the right is for added balance and stability when mounting on and off the bike."

Thanks for everyone's opinions! I love my bike and having the greatest fun learning since I did not grow up riding and none of this comes to me naturally. Parking and maneuvering at slow speeds right now are my biggest challenges. Please have pity on is newbies!

Thanks!

Jay

When you begin to walk away from the bike, is it approperiate to take the first step with your right or left foot?

Ken

When you begin to walk away from the bike, is it approperiate to take the first step with your right or left foot?

we're not spose'd ta talk about politics on the boards... .. . :brow
09.gif

My scientific research showed the following:

Using a spring scale attached to a length of rope and firmly attached to the frame of my K100, I measured a needed force of 35 pounds to pull the bike from its resting position on the side stand, causing it to fall to the ground on the opposite side of said stand, when handle bars were in the full lock left position.

Again, repeating the test, but with the variable of the bars turned full lock right introduced, and the bike weighing approximately 3 1/2 pounds less due to fuel spilled and mirror missing from previous test, I found a needed force of 31 pounds to pull the said bike from its resting position on the side stand, causing it to fall to the ground on the opposite side of previously mentioned side stand. This shows a difference of 1/2 pound of force needed to tip the bike over. (taking into account the 3 1/2 pounds of missing fuel and body part. NOT taking into account the laws of physics as they apply to a body at rest with pressure exerted against said body which is at rest on a fulcrum, ie; the bike's wheels.)

This should put an end to the discussion, as science has spoken.

Now please excuse me, I am about to start my test that will explore the different degrees of engine protection offered by various weights and brands of motor oil during sustained static full throttle operation of same said bike. I fear however, my results of said test may be inconclusive, due to test subject only being able to complete one administration of said full throttle static test.

;).(I have wayyyy too much time on my hands!)

Last edited:
Back