• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

website update list??

H

HODAG

I know some websites do this. As things are added to a website they list what they are, and a link to it. It saves frequent users from searching the website for changes they may be interested in. could we do this on ours?

Yeah Right

Mark11LT said:
I know some websites do this. As things are added to a website they list what they are, and a link to it. It saves frequent users from searching the website for changes they may be interested in. could we do this on ours?
Only if the powers that be let the web people do it, and after months of discussion. Just like everything else.

Notice Mr Feeler isnt around anymore to tell us the timetable for it. Seems his absence coincides with the distribution of the ballots for office.

lorazepam said:
Only if the powers that be let the web people do it, and after months of discussion. Just like everything else.

Notice Mr Feeler isnt around anymore to tell us the timetable for it. Seems his absence coincides with the distribution of the ballots for office.

Now was that nice? ;) The fact is that the management for the web site for things like this excellent suggestion, is and has always been in the hands of the voulunteer web team - specifically Dave Swider and Rob Nye. The only "holdup" for significant new content has been the ability to split the site into member's and guest's sections. Again, that project is, and has been totally in the hands of the web tech team. Rob made a committment to the Board at the May meeting to have the technology in place for the web site split by the first part of June. Perhaps one of them could update you on the progress of that.

Good idea. One of the things I have been starting to do is include the date that the page was updated, both on my site and the MOA site. Which reminds me... I think I have a few more to do. But I won't tell you where so you can go in search of. :stick

lorazepam said:
hey Greg, who called you told you I posted that :p

I got a new accessory for my Valentine 1 that monitors web sites. :brow Or maybe it was a disturbancein the force.

Mmmmmmmmmmm June... I can't wait to see the new site... I just started reading this thread yesterday and was surpised to see something mentioned about having problems integrating with vBulletin when there are tons of hacks or even canned products like vBAdvanced and vbPortal .. I'm sure Rob and Dave have something cool up their sleeves...

BradfordBenn said:
Good idea. One of the things I have been starting to do is include the date that the page was updated, both on my site and the MOA site. Which reminds me... I think I have a few more to do. But I won't tell you where so you can go in search of. :stick

Have you found them yet?

T-Bone said:
Mmmmmmmmmmm June... I can't wait to see the new site... I just started reading this thread yesterday and was surpised to see something mentioned about having problems integrating with vBulletin when there are tons of hacks or even canned products like vBAdvanced and vbPortal .. I'm sure Rob and Dave have something cool up their sleeves...

We're integrating vB with the software the manages the membership database and is pretty well entrenched in the main office. Rob's been working with their developer to make it happen.

lorazepam said:

i was thinking something very similar.

regardless, the answer is always "soon."

Greg Feeler said:
Mark,
There's something new posted on the web site: http://www.bmwmoa.org/features/050525mediaproject.htm

Greg, so does that mean that the fine folks like Rob & Dave will be moved to forum moderators rather than site admins while a hired gun takes their place?? Hopefully the "Responsibility for the technical maintenance of the web site and the placement of content (under the direction of the Media Editor) will be handled by a paid, part-time Information Architect." will be a peer rather than just a someone that doesn't participate in the sport.. Maybe one of the members that's already doing the work on the site :dunno ???

Or is that double-top-secret??

T-Bone said:
Greg, so does that mean that the fine folks like Rob & Dave will be moved to forum moderators rather than site admins while a hired gun takes their place?? Hopefully the "Responsibility for the technical maintenance of the web site and the placement of content (under the direction of the Media Editor) will be handled by a paid, part-time Information Architect." will be a peer rather than just a someone that doesn't participate in the sport.. Maybe one of the members that's already doing the work on the site :dunno ???

Or is that double-top-secret??

The forum will continue on like it is. Responsibility for the technical support (programming/material placement/interface design) will be handled by a paid, part-time professional. This will give the Media Editor the same resource on the web side as we have now on the print side with the art director. The IA position will be advertised for on our web site. I'd say the odds are good candidates will come forward from the membership, perhaps even from the current web volunteers. Open to all to apply.

jeez. the opening line sums it up:

After several years of debate and study...

boy, i really hope the elections work out. that update should have opened with, "since it is blindingly obvious..." and be dated sometime back in 1999.

i also hope that whoever is appointed to be the media manager has a background in managing web AND print content, and is not solely a print person. appointing a print-only person would be further evidence that current leadership is well-intentioned but ill-qualified (and stupefyingly slow) to steward this sort of thing. appointing a web-only person would risk degrading the quality of the magazine, which is also not a good idea. is there a job description for this post? can we see it?

hopefully that media editor won't be appointed until after the new officers take office in july. i cant imagine there's a rush, it took years to figure out that one was needed...

username said:
jeez. the opening line sums it up:

After several years of debate and study...

boy, i really hope the elections work out. that update should have opened with, "since it is blindingly obvious..." and be dated sometime back in 1999.

i also hope that whoever is appointed to be the media manager has a background in managing web AND print content, and is not solely a print person. appointing a print-only person would be further evidence that current leadership is well-intentioned but ill-qualified (and stupefyingly slow) to steward this sort of thing. appointing a web-only person would risk degrading the quality of the magazine, which is also not a good idea. is there a job description for this post? can we see it?

hopefully that media editor won't be appointed until after the new officers take office in july. i cant imagine there's a rush, it took years to figure out that one was needed...

I can just feel the love. ;) Surprizingly, these issues and many others have been taken into account. The Media Editor will be hired - not appointed - and the position will be advertised in the ON magazine. A full set of qualifications will be listed with the notice.

Everyone have a great riding weekend!

T-Bone said:
Greg, so does that mean that the fine folks like Rob & Dave will be moved to forum moderators rather than site admins while a hired gun takes their place??

Yup, most of us already are doing both already. This plan means we will have more time to ride :thumb

Rob and Dave have been doing lots of the Forum Admin stuff with some great help from Scott Conaray (Knary) and that is probably not intended to change.

Media Plan said:
Of special note, the BMW MOA forum will still be administrated by member volunteers. This has proven to be a good system which fits well with our tradition of volunteer involvement.

Hey now,

FWIW, at the last board meeting I promised my colleagues that we would have the following things done by the end of May.

1) Change hosts.

2) Upgrade the forum software

3) Have the interface between the member db and the forum db ready to rock.

Here is the progress.

We have signed a contract with a new host and currently have our development site there. Granted there is no load but the forum runs dramatically faster.

The interface between the two DB's will enable us to have a member's only section. This is being tested now. Most of the work above is being done by paid contractors. While the work is on schedule to be completed by June 1st it may be a week or so of further testing before we make the move. Please understand that initially the content on the private side will be a little thin, we want to get the system in place so folks get used to the updated look and security. Part of the timing in all this is we build the secure area, then add content in tandem with the expansion of the Media Department.

Along with this effort we have a highly dedicated team of volunteers including Brad Benn, Steve Huber, Dave Swider and Court Fisher (Global Touring guru) who are moderating and administering the forum, posting new content we receive and keeping the rally pages current. The back end is being done with contract labor and the front end is all volunteer.

Because of the limitations on the amount of time volunteers can sink into IT projects we are at the point where we need a paid person who will be responsible for all aspects of the website and work as part of our professional media team, directed by the Board. Like the Owners News, content from members will be welcome and actively solicited. Our current team of volunteers will take the lead in working with paid staff on our wish list, such as an on-line marketplace, an enhanced great roads DB with maps and much more.

In some ways I compare the website to the Owners News in 1980. What worked for a group of 200 is not appropriate for 2000, let alone 40,000. As the Owners News had to evolve from a hand typed and stapled newsletter, it is time for us to fully utilize our website *and* the Owners News to provide more benefits for our members. In this case it is more information, faster along with a fantastic community here on the forum. Like the Owners News of the past we are at the point where it is difficult for an all volunteer effort to keep up with the needs of our members.

To answer the question about forum administration, it is our intention to keep the forum moderated by volunteers with things like making sure the data base is backed up daily to paid staff. The volunteer spirit is a vital component of the BMW MOA. I believe that the primary purpose of paid staff is to provide members services by supporting the volunteers. When we have a professional Information Architect responsible for the nitty gritty the volunteers will be able to spend less time coding and more time on new ideas.

As we make this transition is it important to not only salute our current team of volunteers but to recognize and raise a glass to those who got the BMW MOA website off the ground. Ted Verrill is the person who made the first click and he was closely followed by Ian Schmeisser (Visian) who also served as Webmaster.

Thanks to all who made the 'MOA website work and thanks to all our visitors for making it worthwhile.

Best,

Rob Nye
Secretary, BMW MOA

Back