• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Earplugs/hearing protection

Fluets. From Walmart. The bright green shaped ones. Use them every ride. Do a nice job of quieting sounds yet still allow a bit more ambient sound that in a car with windows up. It makes a ride much more relaxed feeling. You can ride longer without feeling stressed from wind and mechanical noise.

My daughter thinks they look like the ear wax candles from Shriek. They will give you multiple days use if they don't get wet or damp from dew even. They are cheap and a bag of them lives in my saddlebag.

NCS

This topic is very subjective and almost as bad as an oil thread.

I use 3M 1100 ear plugs. The local firemen use them going to a fire when their truck sirens are on. Sirens = 160 db.

I tried several over the counter types and they all made my ears hurt.
Had a custom made set at a rally several years ago , they did not make my ears hurt and did the job well.
I am planning to replace them with another custom set this year .
The fit is not as good as it once was and even thought i wash them they are beginning to show their age.

I have been happily using Howard Leight Laser Lite ear plugs for about 15 years now. One of the best performing disposable ear plugs and specifically made for narrower ear canals (like mine). Most of the larger Max type disposables make my ears hurt after a few hours, i can wear the Laser Lites all day comfortably. And as foam ear plugs work not by just being in your ear canal but by expanding to fill your ear canal they work wonderfully. I go through a $25 box of 200 pairs about every other year and use them also for things like flying on smaller commuter jets, sleeping in noisy campgrounds, at the shooting range, etc. I have tried a lot over the years and no other disposable plug comes close for me.

Seton Safety has the cheapest price on the Internet for the big boxes, google seton and free shipping for the current free shipping code.

Edit: here is a pic (available in corded or, my choice, uncorded...)
howardleight_laserlite_LL1L.jpg

This topic is very subjective and almost as bad as an oil thread.

I use 3M 1100 ear plugs. The local firemen use them going to a fire when their truck sirens are on. Sirens = 160 db.

Thanks, Walter, for the recommendation. I just ordered a box of 200 3M 1100's from Amazon for $19.95.

Earplug Thread

Just to round out this discussion. . .

I just spent $120 on a set of custom-molded plugs (at a gun-show), and they work GREAT -- That is, as long as I don't yawn, open my jaws, or breathe through my mouth! This is the second set of molded plugs that have not delivered a quiet ride. Molded work great for many people, but they don't seem to work well for me, compared to properly-set disposables.

Do I need to write, "YRMV" for a thread l like this? I think not.

Now, I'm back to foam plugs, and do agree that the Lites are excellent for folks with small canals (mine).

Another excellent option, and I've tried a LOT of disposables, is the HEARO "Xtreme Series." These are BLUE, just have a tapered cone-shape, and can be found in a lot of drugstores, gun shops, etc. 33db, and they work great for small-canal me.

PROPER USE/INSERTION is a MUST when using disposables.

I don't ride more than a block or two without plugs -- can't stand wind noise, which WILL make you DEAF given the db level and exposure duration of our chosen sport. Your choice: My last set of hearing aids cost around $6,000.

Walking Eagle

Re: foam disposables. Let's say you ride "x" miles to a spot for breakfast...do you remove your earplugs? Do you put them in a bag, then re-insert for the ride home? Any concerns about ear infections if re-inserting the plugs? I ask, because I read a book by RUSH drummer Neil Peart (a BMW rider...or should I say "ultimate BMW rider", since he rides mega-miles), and he mentioned having problems with ear infections due to the long time the plugs were in his ears. I think he had to wear headphones sometimes on stage, instead of in-ear monitors because of this problem. Just curious...

Re: foam disposables. Let's say you ride "x" miles to a spot for breakfast...do you remove your earplugs? Do you put them in a bag, then re-insert for the ride home? Any concerns about ear infections if re-inserting the plugs? I ask, because I read a book by RUSH drummer Neil Peart (a BMW rider...or should I say "ultimate BMW rider", since he rides mega-miles), and he mentioned having problems with ear infections due to the long time the plugs were in his ears. I think he had to wear headphones sometimes on stage, instead of in-ear monitors because of this problem. Just curious...

I've worn foamies since the early 80s. Used to throw them in the wash when they got dirty, now I just throw them away and grab a new pair from the box-of-200 on the garage wall.

I've had no ear infections, nor concerns about them. And - this may be TMI for some - sometimes I've even lubed them with spit before insertion. I don't know what Peart's ear canals are like, but many of us use foam plugs all day for days on end with no difficulties.

I have very narrow ear canals, and foam plugs won't stay in place. I've been wearing custom molded plugs ($50 at the bike show) for a few years now and wouldn't dream of riding without them.

Re: foam disposables. Let's say you ride "x" miles to a spot for breakfast...do you remove your earplugs? Do you put them in a bag, then re-insert for the ride home? Any concerns about ear infections if re-inserting the plugs?

Nope, nope, and just don't do it. I don't reuse, new pair every time. Buying by the 200ct box (to the tune of about 12 cents a pair) and stuffing a bunch in the various pockets of my Aerostich, along with a few emergency pairs in the RT's fairing pocket, make it easy. Once they munged up from repeated use they don't really go in easily or work very well anyway.

Nope, nope, and just don't do it. I don't reuse, new pair every time. Buying by the 200ct box (to the tune of about 12 cents a pair) and stuffing a bunch in the various pockets of my Aerostich, along with a few emergency pairs in the RT's fairing pocket, make it easy. Once they munged up from repeated use they don't really go in easily or work very well anyway.

Sure...that makes sense. For the price, a new pair each time is cheap insurance. Thanks. Figure a box of 200 ought to last a year (so...$20 a year...not a big deal).

Read about how to insert foam ear plugs so they seat properly.
I do reuse my ear plugs until they get so soft they no longer block out the noise as much as when new. When I hear more noise or the plugs feel very soft, I replace them. Aesthetically if they look ugly and dirty, I replace them regardless of how long I've used them. No ear infections or problems like that for five riding seasons to date.

I've been using foam plugs for 25 years.
Putting dirty ones back in is gross but hasn't caused me any problems. YMMV

I often forget them in pockets and when the pants are washed, the plugs come out looking new.

I have been using the Howard Leight Max ear plugs on every ride more than a mile or so. I will get one day's use out of each pair, reusing them several times in a day.

As far as cleanliness goes, it helps to wash your hands before inserting the ear plugs so they go in clean.

This thread has caught my attention. My big box of Max plugs is almost empty. I probably will switch to a Lite version. I think I have some Lite's I got from the safety guy here at work that I can try before ordering a big box.

Harry

Flyrider,

As for wear and reuse. That becomes your pattern. My wife is a nurse, teaches it, and is hyperattentive about having things clean and not contaminated. Funny she doesn't bat an eye about my reuse. Typically I use mine about two weeks on the daily commute. They usually aren't grimy at that point but starting to look unfresh. When I get off the bike, I lay them on the inner faring tray next to the instruments. Grab them first when gearing back up.
The helmet is sitting on the gloves on the top of the handle bar mounts. So jacket goes on, then ear plugs, then helmet then gloves.

Now as I say this, I also realize from experiences across time, different peoples ears had different wax and oils.

Find a pattern that works for you, and wear them.

NCS

I prefer OTC foam versus custom plugs, too.

My problem is that the custom ones are obviously not so flexible and they contact my helmet, which is uncomfortable. My head is such that I have to reach in and unfold my ears when I first put on helmet. Not a lot of clearance, that is, and probably even less with helmet speakers.

Methinks custom plugs a solution looking for a problem. There's lots of marketing hype out there directed at people that will spend big bucks to convince themselves they're doing the right thing.

Yes, if you need your "sound" the best it can be, customs with speakers molded in are likely best ... assuming again proper helmet clearance. You know, like you've got 800 NASCAR horsepower exiting the exhaust right under you at 200 mph and you need to hear your spotter and crew chief.

I don't understand all the hoorah around custom windshields. I rather think you can take to the bank there's no possible windshield that will eliminate need for earplugs ... unless it's your car's windshield.

Foam works for me...

I use the same style or brand of foam plugs for riding that I use out on the range when shooting trap.

My favorite are the green foam ones from Max's, I believe. I do reuse them, and have never had an ear issue because of it.

I think, depending on your ears, it may be worthwhile trying a few different kinds until you find one that works for you. The shapes and thicknesses do vary some between brands, and everyone's ears are different. The good news is that these things aren't all that expensive, so you can afford to try a few.

No comment on the custom made plugs because I've never had them, and frankly always had foam ones that worked well for me.

I tried a variety of foam ear plugs but they always ended up hurting after a couple of hours. I picked up a custom molded pair at the Bend MOA rally and they work great. I can barely feel them after 12 hours on the road. For me, they work great and were a great investment. I forgot the name of the vendor.

A question here... just opinions unless there is some data out there.

One.. Foam disposables, work well, but don't reuse
Two.. Foam Disposables work well, reuse for a while
Three.. Custom plugs work well, last a long time

What is the real world difference concerning ear infections and similar concerns between using disposable foam ones for a while and using custom ones for a long time. Do the custom ones really get cleaned after every ride?

I say real world in that if (making this up for a standard) the standard is that you clean them with alcohol after every use, does that really happen or is it maybe once /twice month.

So what is the real difference between having some custom ones that get cleaned sometimes, and disposable that are used for 10 days and then thrown away?

NCS

Back