• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Moving to Salt Lake City

jogitu

Moving to SLC first of September. What are the first day trips I should take? Doing 350-500 in a day would not scare me.

Just about any roads which are red, green or blue on the state map are good roads to check out. Only a small handful of state routes might be dirt or poor shape, even then, I been on them with a street bike and tires.

http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=100:pg:0::::V,T:,346http://

Direct link to the official state map: http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/uconowner.gf?n=89563328019277451

When I moved to SLC back in the 80's, I just started around the local area and progress further and further every trip out. Seen interesting side roads and made it a point to investigate when time allowed. Many and most of the paved road I have hit many times and still enjoy the ride. I also been on most of the major dirt roads within the state, great scenery for sure in the state.

So far this year, I got over 16k on the bikes and only been out of the state twice. Just haven't felt the need to travel further. I will admit most of my rides are day runs, long day, but still completed in 1 day.

ALL of it:)

Utah has the most scenic byways of just about all the states, period. Any direction gets you good stuff:). Some of my favorites; US12 from Bryce to Capital Reef NPs., Moab US191S and back W. through SE Utah. Cedar Breaks NMon. and Zion NP.. Arches and Canyonlands NPs(Moab again). You just cannot go wrong in that state. Vernal and Flaming Gorge and Dinosaurs everywhere in NE Utah. Nice. Great Basin NP(our newest NP) to your West near Nevada. Its just a WOW state:). Only downside is BMW closed its doors in SLC:(. Randy

Wifey already there and has visited a BMW dealer. So perhaps there were 2 dealers? I am looking forward to hitting all the national parks.

Ogden highway 39 to Woodruff. North to Garden City (stop for shakes). Back to Logan via 89. Nice way to kill a day. :wave

There are a bunch of other great riding roads to blast on in Utah, but you will have to have the secret decoder ring to sort them out from the Utah map posted earlier. :)

Really, for starters, just head out and pick a direction. Figure out about a halfway point without doing a U turn and head back. Up to you if this is a morning run, one day ride or an adventure.

Some quick thoughts:
Right out of SLC, Utah 65 to Henefer.

Little east, Mirror Lake highway (Utah 150) to Evanston, WY, 10'k pass

Just south of that, (Utah 35) to Duchesne, 10'k pass (one of my favorites, usually no traffic)

East with a N-S run (US 191) from Flaming Gorge to Mexican Water, AZ ( don't stop on either side, great road to investigate in AZ and WY)

South of Spanish Fork, East from Fairview to Huntington, (Utah 31), this is my favorite close to home road, always try to take it in bypassing US 6 from Price to Spanish Fork. Well worth the 30 minutes longer it takes. Another 10'k pass, again usually hardly any traffic.

I70 from exit 91 to 157, goes through some best scenery in Utah on the interstate, San Rafael Swell.

I70 south at exit 91 on Utah 72, another great secret road, wide open with lots of turns, some sharp, some sweeping, 9'k pass. Near the south end of this take Utah 25 and head up to another 10'k pass and visit Fish Lake.

So far I only listed some of the rides to take on a day run from SLC as a base.
Mix and match, determine what your seat is ready for. and all of these are paved adventures. I do not even have the time to start listing dirt rides local to SLC.

Another feature of Utah, one can ride in the desert roads in the fall, winter or spring while the mountain passes are snowed in and just the opposite when summer is hitting 100+, time to head for the passes.

Looking forward to it all. See ya on the roads by middle of the month. I'll be the one on the really fast GTL. Oh wait, they are all fast. Well I will be the fast one with the good looking wife on the back. Oh wait, she will have a helmet on. Well there will be two of us on a Silver GTL all the same. Look for the LOST sticker on the back, that's us.

Back