• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1974 or 1976 R90S

zenduddhist

Looking for your opinions. I am looking to purchase an R90S. I usually like to buy the later year of a model because of improvements, upgrades, etc. But, the 1974 R90S seems to bring a higher price.

I like to buy bikes that are in excellent condition. Some may consider me a collector, but I always ride all my bikes, usually at least once a week. However, when I buy, I also keep in mind that I will probably want to sell it one day. I am not an investor; my goal is not to make money, but if I do, that's great.

So, having said the above, what year do you think is a better choice? The 1974 because it's first year and apparently is more desirable? Or the 1976 because it's the last year and has all of the improvements and upgrades?

Thanks for the help!

If my fading memory serves, the '76 had the newer switchgear. All else being equal, for that reason alone I'd go with a '76.

But that's me. I imagine others will have differing opinions.

First year of anything is not necessarily such a great thing...it's been debated a number of times, but the '74 was the first year of the 5-speed and seems to have been problematic. First year disk brake, not drilled, so wasn't as good...not to say the single ATE was that good.

If it was the first year of BMW, 1923, OK different story. First year of /5...different story. But the '74 was little more than a running change...some aspects of it were hold over from the '73 models.

For me, later is better...that's why I sought out a '69 R69S...it's all in there!!

First year of anything is not necessarily such a great thing...it's been debated a number of times, but the '74 was the first year of the 5-speed and seems to have been problematic. First year disk brake, not drilled, so wasn't as good...not to say the single ATE was that good.

If it was the first year of BMW, 1923, OK different story. First year of /5...different story. But the '74 was little more than a running change...some aspects of it were hold over from the '73 models.

For me, later is better...that's why I sought out a '69 R69S...it's all in there!!

Plus one on this, being a previous owner of a 74 R90S.

If you have two beautiful examples in front of you, sure go for the later "better" one, but if you can only find the '74, don't be afraid.

Later ones have drilled rotors, better when wet. Also I think they beefed the frame a bit, and the transmission was upgraded if my memory is correct.

yeah, a bit more frame gusseting near the steering head. your memory is correct on all counts.

IIRC, the 90S frames are identical in all years and are also identical to the /7.

Differences between 74 and 75+ 90s are, on top of my head:

- drilled front discs
- upgraded gear box
- new paint available (Smoke only in 74, Daytona or Smoke the following years).
- switched (/5 on the 74, /6 the following years).
- kick start standard on 74's, optionnal the following years.
- Some engine parts: crank shaft, bearings, flywheel etc...
- a lot of aesthetics details, such as mirrors, tacho/speedo, aluminum flashers etc...

Beauty of BMW Flats is that most of the upgraded parts can be mounted on older engine version.

That being said, an R90S is a fantastic bike and any year you can find will bring you miles of pleasure. Just pick the best bike you can find, and if colour is not a problem (Smoke only in 74), ride it and enjoy it.

A couple things to ponder

The '76 R 90S and /7 do have extra frame gusseting, most notable is the extra frame tube under the steering head. Another perk or detraction is the gas tank of the '76 is shared by most of the /7's and later bikes and is still available new or can be found reasonably priced(sort of)at most Flea Markets.

For someone who is going to buy one to ride I would think that the '76 would be a better choice and would still retain its collector value.

The '74 on the other hand would be just as nice but due to its first year quirks and some year specific parts and paint work (tape pinstripe for some) you might be a little reluctant to get it out on the road as often and maybe never in less than perfect weather conditions.

Is there any way you can swing both? That would be the best of both worlds, have a Smoke Silver and a Daytona Orange. I'm saving my ash tray money so I can pick up a '76 to do just that.

Just my $.10 worth

I kick myself often for selling my 74 R90S. It was painted Chevy pickup red, but it ran and looked nice. My favorite one is the smoke gray though. Pure love when ever I see one. I have been looking for a nice one for awhile. Though I had one in my sights, but it got away from me.

I have a 74 R90S that I use regularly. To be honest the drilled discs are a must if it rains as the stock are lethal when well soaked. Other than that it's a great bike. Every time I ride it I am amazed that it's 38 years old and performs so well.

Back