• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GARMIN ZUMO 660 SD CARD Question.

mosrrt

I have a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS. I have always used the internal GPS memory for routes and music. I got a 4GB SD card and loading music on it for the 660.
With the card in the GPS and music also on the units memory, will I get an option to use either the SD card or units memory music?
If so where do I select that option?
Mike

Check out the big manual:
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/zumo660_OwnersManual.pdf

Page 27 :)

For what it is worth, go to Newegg.com and pick up a class 10, 8gig MicroSD - should cost about $10 with free shipping. That will be big enough and plenty fast to handle lots and lots of music. Note in the manual you can save to either the unit or the card, save to the card to keep the internal memory free.

Here is a nice one for $8 shipped:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211540

When it comes to buying flash memory online is the only way to go, the brick and mortar stores are usually WAY overpriced.

Mike,

I just upgraded to the 660 last week after my 550 crapped out. I spent a good amount of time on the phone with tech support trying to get the 550 going again before we started talking more about the 660.

From what I was told, it is best to store all of your music on the micro SD card by creating a folder for GARMIN, then a subfolder for MUSIC, then putting your music into seperate sub folders from there. I'm still not clear on why the need for several sub folders but they say it works best and I have to admit it does after trying without.

Also, I've learned that the 660 cannot take more than a 16 GB card without problems.

Here is a link to the Zumo forum. You have to register to use it and that is a process in itself taking up to 24 hours but I've found the info quite helpful. Zumo Forum

And to answer your original question, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot choose between the unit vs. the card.

So Newstar. Does the GPS play both the files in the SD card and on the unit as one file ????
If I have 100 songs on the SD card and 100 songs on the unit will the MP3 player just show 200 songs and use both sources to play the music ??

I have the manual and it does little to answer my question. I did buy a 4GB Mirco SD card at Wally World and loaded songs on it from the itunes which were converted to MP3 format.

I don't know, Mike. I haven't tried that. But I'd be interested in your experience.

With the 550, I found that it would only play the same 50 or so songs out of 400+. Then the maps wouldn't load just before I was leaving for a trip. That is what pushed me to upgrade. I'm finding with the 660 that the song shuffle tends to replay some songs often but at least they are all showing as being loaded.

I've also learned the hard way that depending on when you downloaded songs from itunes, you may or may not have had the option to download as MP3 however, going forward, you need to make sure you choose that format.

I am not an expert and have been fumbling my way through this with some success. If the manual was helpful, reading it would be worthwhile. But like many electronics these days, you're better off finding a 12 year old to help you. Perhaps someone more helpful will respond here or try searching/posting on the zumo forum.

Back