• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

94 R1100RS Knock and Valve Train Noise

I really doubt you could sense it that way. The running clearance on the big end to the crank journal is in the "thousandths of an inch" range, which could only be registered with a dial indicator mounted to the head, and a degree wheel on the crank pulley to register motion of a few degree at Top Dead Center. Even then I think its doubtful to be accurate to assess what may be causing your issue.

I do have to say, that for the miles on your bike, unless it was starved of oil at some time, it should not be making those noises from the big end on the crank journals.

I need to look up an engine detail, because your earlier comment has me confused, "When I run the engine, the very loud and obnoxious chain noise sounds like it is coming from the auxillary drive shaft chain."

Auxiliary drive shaft chain? Do you mean the center chain from the lower crank sprocket to the upper sprocket? Only other chain in the R1100 Oilhead are the cam chains on each side. The early Oilheads had no balancer shaft like the later models. But those shafts all run on plain journals, so as long as the oil wasn't depleted at some time, those journals should last the life of the bike.

Last edited:
I need to look up an engine detail, because your earlier comment has me confused, "When I run the engine, the very loud and obnoxious chain noise sounds like it is coming from the auxillary drive shaft chain."

Auxiliary drive shaft chain? Only chain in the R1100 Oilhead I know of is the cam chain. The alternator is driven by belt on the front of the engine, and the early Oilheads had no balancer shaft like the later models.

There are three chains in an oilhead: the right cam chain, the left cam chain and the timing chain. I mistakenly called it the auxillary drive shaft chain when it is the chain in the auxillary-shaft drive system and referred to as the timing chain.

The crankshaft drives the auxillary shaft through the timing chain. This chain is located in the front of the engine within the crankcase. The auxillary shaft drives the both the right and left cams through the cam shaft chains. These chains are located behind in the back of the engine with the bulk of the chains located in the cylinders.

The chain noise is not coming from the back of either the right or left cylinders where the cam chains run but from the front of the crankcase where the timing chain (which I called the auxillary drive shaft chain) is located.

Ahh,...we have reached an accord.

That's what I figured it was, and to that it may be beneficial if it a noise generated by that chain system. Isn't that chain/sprocket system serviceable from the front of the engine without having to split the case?

That's what I figured it was, and to that it may be beneficial if it a noise generated by that chain system. Isn't that chain/sprocket system serviceable from the front of the engine without having to split the case?

Yes. That chain system and tensioner is accessed via the front. The aluminum piece behind the black plastic cover, behind the pulley, to which the alternator is mounted can come off the front of the engine.

And having removed the black plastic alternator belt cover and then the aluminum alternator support cover which covers the timing chain and to which the alternator mounts, visual inspection reveals....

...nothing out of the ordinary. The investigation will continue.

Have a look at the right side TB cable end and make sure it is seated down inside the holder thingiee. I had mine sitting on the top of the hold and it ran like poop. You were in that area doing some work. WHAT DID YOU DO LAST?? I think someone on this thread said that. hehe

I'm just down the road from you in West Mansfield.

I hate to ask this after you have done so much work....but...

Did you check the cable to the right throttle body to make sure it was seated well in the adjustment screw? It will make the engine sound like something is drastically wrong.

This thread is an interesting mystery. After reading RedSledRider's question about the throttle cables being properly seated and JHGilbert repeating the exact same question six hours later :scratch and what happened to me today the deja vu was almost too much to handle!

I spent the today working on my '00 1100RT. Installing a new front tire and also installing a new GPS cradle to replace the one I robbed two weeks ago to go to Nakusp on my old G/S. Tank had to come off and some other bits to expose the area I wanted to run the harness back to the battery.

Long story short(er) when I put the bike back together I had a bit of a panic attack. It was running great before today and suddenly it would barely start and when it did it sounded like it was about to self destruct. Running on one cylinder and knocking so badly I thought a valve had broken off or something equally terrible. I got my handy dandy laser thermometer and quickly surmised the right side was not firing.
- Removed plug, check for spark. Good
- Removed coil, check resistance. Good
- Check tank and injector connectors. Good
What the heck is going on here?
- Pull off front alternator cover since belt was screeching a bit during the awful running... All good in there.

Finally as I am scratching my head in wonder I decide to check the throttle cables. I twist the grip and check both sides for stones or blockage and that is when I notice the right side throttle cable ferrel is sitting on top of the dang adjuster. Kind of a "hallelujuah, you knucklehead, oh crap why did you take the bike half apart before checking this" moment ensues.

Re seat the cable, reinstall the tank etc. etc. and she fires right up and purrs like it did when I started working on it this morning...

So yeah, a throttle cable pulled up out of the adjuster will make your oilhead sound like it's all over but the crying. And Paul's right when he advises us to check around the last stuff you did when things like this happen.

Plus 1 on what happywander said first time I did some work on my 2002 r1150rs when I put the bike back together I got the same result I went through the exact same process before I accidently noticed the cable housing out of the adjuster barrel poped it back in and put it back together again purred like a kitten on the plus side once you have done this you will always know what this sounds like when it happens again

Beer

Whenever I run into a problem, I invite a buddy who is also a wrench over and we drink beers and go over everything very slowly and thoroughly. It seems that second set of eyes is like a proofreader for a book; they see things that looked OK to the writer. My buddies Harry & Paul have helped me out of similar situations.

Good luck.

I have one of those buddies....Really tactful. Usually catches my goofs and asks: Would this be a good time to .....?

Another thing I really enjoy on this forum is finding out you're not the only one out there to have made a goofy mistake. :laugh Thanks guys. The thing is this has happened before but I failed to recognize the symptoms! DOH!!

I'm getting ready for a long ride to Quincy CA for the Beemer Bash and finishing up a 24K service which involves a fair bit of wrenching all over the bike. It's easy to forget things or not check all is well before buttoning it back up. Then panic sets in. Oh NO! The bike won't run! I might have to cancel the trip! An on and on... :whistle

But it's great when you find an easy one! :thumb

Back