• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ReProgram Computer?

AK Steve

AK Steve
I just took delivery of a 2007 R1200RT Police, got it at auction from Sacramento. I have seen random discussion about reprogramming the on board computer but can't locate any of those threads. One BMW shop has told me there are risks in trying it, and it wouldn't have any warranty. Any experience out there in succesfully reprogramming the on board computer back to its civilian functionality?

I just took delivery of a 2007 R1200RT Police, got it at auction from Sacramento. I have seen random discussion about reprogramming the on board computer but can't locate any of those threads. One BMW shop has told me there are risks in trying it, and it wouldn't have any warranty. Any experience out there in succesfully reprogramming the on board computer back to its civilian functionality?

Interesting....what are the differences?

It is a fleet service, old vehicle, so no warranty to worry about anyway if you want to play.

ReProgram Computer

The only function the computer has now is to lock the current speed in, presumably for the purpose of having that info available for writing the speeding ticket. The warranty I referenced concerned any undesirable result from reprogramming the computer. The BMW shop said they could do it, but wouldn't be responsible for any undesirable results. So currently those is no air temp, estimated range, oil quantity, option for tire pressure, or any other of the standard functions associated with the on board computer.

If all you are worried about is the little computer screen thingy on the instruments, I would let them have a stab at re-programming it.

Please tell me you are going to paint that thing something other than black and white. Down in So Cal we get a little annoyed with the riders of former police bikes playing cop on the freeway.

Whenever you reprogram a ROM you do have to be careful. If something goes wrong, you often cannot get it rebooted to attempt to reprogram it again.

If the ROM is removable, then I would use an external ROM duplicator. Today most of them are soldered onto the board, so this isn't an option. This option would also require that you have an extra ROM to copy from.

What would be the likelihood of getting a takeoff from a crashed bike at a reasonable cost? If that is a reasonable option, then if the dealer cannot reprogram it, the next step would be previously owned OEM one.

NCS

What would be the likelihood of getting a takeoff from a crashed bike at a reasonable cost? If that is a reasonable option, then if the dealer cannot reprogram it, the next step would be previously owned OEM one.

NCS

Since this is a CAN-Bus bike I'll bet money you still have to use the Group Tester One to install a replacement computer since it is reading other sensors on the bike. These things are hard wired to sensors, they read little data packets with the appropriate address as they pass along the data bus with all the other data that is being shared by the many microprocessors on the bike. It is like a LAN, or local area network and the instrument cluster is the equivalent of the gateway computer. Horrible kludge, really.

Back