• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Bit Of An Insult

Re: the Prius driver. . . who knows, maybe he was interested in something with better MPG than the his gas-guzzling Prius.

Of course many of us ride bikes that DONT get better mileage than the newest Prius, but he probably wouldnt know that.

My '08 Prius gets 36 mpg in town and 50+ on the highway, which is similar to my R90/6. Both are great vehicles.

I have 3 BMW motorcycles. 78 R80/7 85 K100RT 96 R1100RT an 85 BMW 318 and a 92 BMW 5 series Wagon.......When the wagon gets low on ANY fluid it let's you know about it........every 30 seconds or so.......constant pinging and a warning on the dash......It holds 6 quarts of oil.......The warning starts when it loses 1/2 quart. It has 240,000 miles on it......I'm hoping to get 500,000 on her.....Love the german machines.......Hence my email ......imabmwnut

Re: the Prius driver. . . who knows, maybe he was interested in something with better MPG than the his gas-guzzling Prius.

Of course many of us ride bikes that DONT get better mileage than the newest Prius, but he probably wouldnt know that.

I know full well, because I ride an '03 RT and a Prius. Believe me, the RT is the gas hog. I'm lucky if I see 45mpg highway out of the RT. Mid-50's is standard out of the Prius on the road, or higher.

Harry

To this question, "I'm just curious. How many Harleys have you owned??? "

Not a one, never owned a Harley, but I have ridden many of them, from Sportsters to Ultra Classics. My viewpoint is slanted certainly, but all my comments are based on what I have actually experienced, not conjecture.

A friend of mine in California has a Harley I'd like to own; a built up FXRS-EVO with the engine redone by a drag-boat engine builder. The bike starts easily, idles smooth right away, has great throttle response, sounds good out the Supertrapp without being obnoxious. But, it wallows in turns, has wooden feeling brakes. Those are things that could be upgraded.

Now, I have not ridden a recent FLH chassis since the big design changes. I do recall riding a FLHTC and an FLHTC-UC that both wallowed like an overloaded Buick at 45mph, the old flexy frame model. Just did not care for it at all. I rode a Sport Glide that, while I like the looks and engine, I was grinding so much metal with every turn it was ridiculous. Again, just not for me.

I have folks ask me if bmw is brittish motor works,I say no! ,my lights don't flicker.

I've had that & out here in the wilds of rural Manitoba my 30 year old Airhead still gets the odd "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles" or after they hear what year it is; "Does BMW still make motorcycles?" - Obviously it aint the ubiquitous bike of western Canada.

Considering the miserable reliability of modern Mercs, it's a valid question. I wouldn't own a modern Mercedes Benz if you gave it to me. Ditto all the current crop of German cars.

Anyone who has ever had a job that required them to use SAP knows you never let a German write software. Nein, is verbotten! BMW's CAN-Bus is testamony to this truism, but Mercedes and Audi likewise have horrible electrics, compounded by the utter lack of an oil dipstick in Mercedes Benz products. Too many toasted engines because the low oil light you are forced to rely on doesn't come on in time to save the engine and there is no way to really know if you are down half a liter, a full liter or maybe more without draining the oil and measuring how much comes out. Kludge.

You're a bit behind the times.

All current Mercs have dipsticks. BMW cars don't I hear.

Yes, in the early 2000s Bosch had a little trouble with its product quality. This corresponded with the popularity of one Mr. Lopez, the procurement guru allegedly stolen from GM by VW. Squeeze the suppliers on price was the mantra.

Most of that stuff is worked out now and of course there are no bankrupt German manufacturers save perhaps soon Opel.

You're a bit behind the times.

All current Mercs have dipsticks. BMW cars don't I hear.

Yes, in the early 2000s Bosch had a little trouble with its product quality. This corresponded with the popularity of one Mr. Lopez, the procurement guru allegedly stolen from GM by VW. Squeeze the suppliers on price was the mantra.

Most of that stuff is worked out now and of course there are no bankrupt German manufacturers save perhaps soon Opel.

Bosch had nothing to do with the Byteflight CAN-Bus BMW uses. It is a Motorola product, introduced in BMW cars circa 2004 but originally intended for light aircraft! What a scary thought that is (I am a former military pilot with some civil experience too). The newer FLEXRAY protocol, which was first introduced in a 2007 7-Series is a product of the FLEXRAY consortium, which includes Freescale Semiconductor, Bosch, NXP Semiconductors, BMW, Volkswagen, Daimler and GM. The problem with Byteflight is it is time triggered, each slave has a specific time on the protocol when it is supposed to communicate with the master computer (iDrive in most BMWs). It is 10mbps so the timing of communications is critical, and when any module misses it's time slot things shut down. Audi is just as bad this way. J1850 by comparison is 1mbps but all modules do not have to communicate on a time slot, only when there is data to transmit. It uses bit arbitration when too many modules try to communicate at once and exceed the limits of bandwidth on the bus.

So M-B learned their lesson and put a dipstick back in their cars? I know they bought a few engines for customers including some AMG V-8s. BMW only puts a dipstick in the M cars. Everyone else is assumed to be too stupid to know how to check their oil.

Sorry, you can have this crap.

my harley soft tail is at least as reliable as my r12r

for long trips (like to dayton ohio from eastern long island), i generally prefer the hog mostly because of the dealer network.
7542165682_f5405389ce_b.jpg

Merc?

Considering the miserable reliability of modern Mercs, it's a valid question. I wouldn't own a modern Mercedes Benz if you gave it to me. Ditto all the current crop of German cars.

Anyone who has ever had a job that required them to use SAP knows you never let a German write software. Nein, is verbotten! BMW's CAN-Bus is testamony to this truism, but Mercedes and Audi likewise have horrible electrics, compounded by the utter lack of an oil dipstick in Mercedes Benz products. Too many toasted engines because the low oil light you are forced to rely on doesn't come on in time to save the engine and there is no way to really know if you are down half a liter, a full liter or maybe more without draining the oil and measuring how much comes out. Kludge.

Just what the hell is a "Merc", should I assume you mean a Mercury automobile, a Mercedes Benz automobile or a Mercury outboard engine or the mercury in your thermometer??? Or perhaps you speak a new language?

And that my leetle friend, is why God made Chebbys.

Ken

Just what the hell is a "Merc", should I assume you mean a Mercury automobile, a Mercedes Benz automobile or a Mercury outboard engine or the mercury in your thermometer??? Or perhaps you speak a new language?

In England, all of my relatives call Mercedes Benzs "Mercs".

"Merc" = Mercedes Benz. Ok?

And that my leetle friend, is why God made Chebbys.

Ken

I have a couple of nice analog Audis that will fill my automotive needs for a couple of decades, perhaps more. They are right at that cusp where Audi went toe to toe with Mercedes, but pre-date the ridiculous electonic crapola that burdens modern German cars.
Like I said, anyone whos job forces them to use SAP knows that you never, ever, let a German write software. Nein! Ist verbotten.

I have a couple of nice analog Audis that will fill my automotive needs for a couple of decades, perhaps more. They are right at that cusp where Audi went toe to toe with Mercedes, but pre-date the ridiculous electonic crapola that burdens modern German cars.
Like I said, anyone whos job forces them to use SAP knows that you never, ever, let a German write software. Nein! Ist verbotten.

Well I wouldn't limit "electronic crapola" to modern German cars. They all suffer from this to one extent or the other. Certainly a high end European car would have more gizmos and farkles than say a Chevy Aveo, but the inverse would be true, say comparing a Caddy SVT to a VW Jetta.

In regards to the last sentence; "RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN", lol.

I paid for a new digital controller for my Frigidare freezer yesterday.It is to the day, 2 yrs old. The old one is in a pizza restaurant a few miles down the road from me working away like always. The new one will not run w/o the gizmo/digital keypad controller. Cars , pretty much all modern cars(and bikes of course) have the same crap -it's a losing discussion. Basically, if it goes zoom, you either go pre 1980's or you go newer...

Back