• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Bit Of An Insult

GeneT

Swamp Fox
In view of two things I use my R1200RT for errands as well as just riding and the cost of gasoline enters into this as well.

Today when I was returning from the drug store to my bike this guy in a small Japanese hybrid car pulls in beside me and asks me if that is an over sized scooter?

"Excuse me?"

Then he says it can't be a full sized motorcycle, " I replied, perhaps not it will only go 160 MPH, by the way, is that roller skate you are riding in pregnant?"

End of conversation................

In view of two things I use my R1200RT for errands as well as just riding and the cost of gasoline enters into this as well.

Today when I was returning from the drug store to my bike this guy in a small Japanese hybrid car pulls in beside me and asks me if that is an over sized scooter?

"Excuse me?"

Then he says it can't be a full sized motorcycle, " I replied, perhaps not it will only go 160 MPH, by the way, is that roller skate you are riding in pregnant?"

Awesome come back!! :thumb

Not sure about the validity of "160 MPH" on an RT - maybe downhill with a tailwind, but then I've been to south Florida - you have no hills - though Isaac may carve out some for you.

Be safe in the coming days!

"Excuse me?"

There's the story of a Cessna pilot waiting for clearance to enter the runway for takeoff. Tower had him hold while an MD-80 landed and taxied down the runway. As the MD-80 passed the Cessna at the hold intersection, the MD-80 captain said, over the radio, "That's a cute little airplane", about the Cessna. The Cessna pilot (what a quick wit) came back on the radio immediately, and said: "Yeah, and a few more landings like the one you just made, and I'll have enough parts to build another one!"

It's possible he thought you were on a Maxi scooter. To me the style of the R1200RT is similar to some of the Maxi Scooters.
Maybe the guy was interested in the new BMW scooter and wanted to talk to you about it.
DSC_0004.jpg

What's the rear wheel HP of the R1200RT? 100HP?? If it's around 100, I have a hard time believing 100HP can push that big fairing through the air more than 140 MPH.
Anyone know the top speed, my guess is 130 or 135?

Last edited:
Cut the "hybrid guy" some slack. There are lots of people out there that really don't know the kind of stuff such as a big scoot from a RT. Personally, I'd rather make fun of his Prius than talk scoots. :nyah

What's the rear wheel HP of the R1200RT? 100HP?? If it's around 100, I have a hard time believing 100HP can push that big fairing through the air more than 140 MPH.

Upper 120s mph, at least in my hands, on GPS. Maybe 127, give or take.

Don't feel bad.......when I rode my R1100RS over to band practice for the first time a couple of months ago they told me I was crazy to sell my CBR900RR to buy it and THEN they said it looked like a big scooter!

Half of them ride cruisers so I don't take their opinion too seriously (but at least they ALL ride).

Had a guy at a Subway recently ask me "why a BMW versus a Harley?"

Standing next to my high miles 94 R1100RS, I said, "well, its quicker, faster, more quiet, can carry more weight, handles better, rides better, brakes better, gets comparable mileage fuel wise, costs less to maintain, and I have not had reason to do anything internally to the engine in 170,000 miles."

He seemed to understand the rationale.

Why a Mercedes versus a Chevy?

Considering the miserable reliability of modern Mercs, it's a valid question. I wouldn't own a modern Mercedes Benz if you gave it to me. Ditto all the current crop of German cars.

Anyone who has ever had a job that required them to use SAP knows you never let a German write software. Nein, is verbotten! BMW's CAN-Bus is testamony to this truism, but Mercedes and Audi likewise have horrible electrics, compounded by the utter lack of an oil dipstick in Mercedes Benz products. Too many toasted engines because the low oil light you are forced to rely on doesn't come on in time to save the engine and there is no way to really know if you are down half a liter, a full liter or maybe more without draining the oil and measuring how much comes out. Kludge.

It's possible he thought you were on a Maxi scooter. To me the style of the R1200RT is similar to some of the Maxi Scooters.
Maybe the guy was interested in the new BMW scooter and wanted to talk to you about it.
DSC_0004.jpg

I manage 150 mph give or take a couple on any given day on 72 rwhp on a nicely built old K-100RS. I have to tuck way in and it takes a few miles to get there but it does. My Street Rod with XR-1200 wheels, which necessitated some innovation with pulleys and belt selection, will nail the rev limiter at 153 mph with 98 rwhp, and that thing is anything but svelt. 650 lbs plus my weight trying to get small behind a handlebar mounted windshield, but it'll bang the rev limiter in the big hole out on my secret high desert proving grounds.
Unless gearing limits the speed, I'd give a good running R-1200RT credit for 145 -150 with cold dry air and enough room to run.

I had a airline employee the other day ask if my bike was a Harley. I told them it was a BMW and told him which model it was. He told me he thought it was a Harley. I asked him if I should get some Harley emblems and put it on my bike in which his response was no.

Mercedes

Considering the miserable reliability of modern Mercs, it's a valid question. I wouldn't own a modern Mercedes Benz if you gave it to me. Ditto all the current crop of German cars.

Anyone who has ever had a job that required them to use SAP knows you never let a German write software. Nein, is verbotten! BMW's CAN-Bus is testamony to this truism, but Mercedes and Audi likewise have horrible electrics, compounded by the utter lack of an oil dipstick in Mercedes Benz products. Too many toasted engines because the low oil light you are forced to rely on doesn't come on in time to save the engine and there is no way to really know if you are down half a liter, a full liter or maybe more without draining the oil and measuring how much comes out. Kludge.

I bet we all wish we had bought a Mercedes Gull Wing back in the mid 50's for the list price of 6500 dollars, they are selling today on Barret and Jackson for over 200K, of course not many of you guys were around then. :)

:dunno:dunnoI saw a honda nt700 yesterday with the bmw logo on the fairing but it was differant [strange] ! The blue was RED and BMW was HMC. Honda motor company Weird. On a black bike.

Wait until you start seeing RT's with inline 3 cyliner engines and Truimph badges on them.

Last edited:
Re: the Prius driver. . . who knows, maybe he was interested in something with better MPG than the his gas-guzzling Prius.

Of course many of us ride bikes that DONT get better mileage than the newest Prius, but he probably wouldnt know that.

Had a guy at a Subway recently ask me "why a BMW versus a Harley?"

Standing next to my high miles 94 R1100RS, I said, "well, its quicker, faster, more quiet, can carry more weight, handles better, rides better, brakes better, gets comparable mileage fuel wise, costs less to maintain, and I have not had reason to do anything internally to the engine in 170,000 miles."

He seemed to understand the rationale.

I'm just curious. How many Harleys have you owned???

Back