• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

IBMWR Scamming

SPIKESBIKE

Just a warning, I have been beat for $280.If anyone does a deal with Gary from Orland Cal. beware. He was supposed to send me carbs for my /5 3 weeks ago, he keeps coming up with excuses and finally no response at all.Probably my fault for not getting more info on him.I have been buying on IBMWR for a long time with no problems, guess there is always a first.

If you paid with a credit card, call your credit card company (or bank), and ask for a chargeback.

I wish, it was done by postal money order.I know it was stupid , but i have been doing it that way for quite awhile for people who dont have paypal, i guess i am too trusting. I would never do that to anyone and thats the way i expect to be treated in return.

Suspicious dealings

I had a deal like that. I offered paypal; he did not have paypal. I offered to send a check and he could let it clear before sending the part; he insisted on a money order. When I emailed him that I had a buddy near him who would run over to his house with the cash and I needed the address, he disappeared.

I have a pretty good nose for a con job; but even I got taken once. I got a friend of mine who was a computer nerd to help me. He tracked the computer to the library in the employment security office in Columbia, SC. I rode there, showed the man in charge of the computer room my information and the emails. He pulled out the sign in sheets for the times the emails had been sent. Voila, there was the culprits name, address, and SC drivers license #. Bonus, he was in the center.

I waited for him outside the center. Lets just say he will NEVER do that again.

I hope you can track this person down and take care of business.

BTW, what is his location?

For what it's worth, you could put him in a world of hurt. He committed mail fraud by accepting a postal money order and not fulfilling the order.

FWIW, I'll share with you that some years back I bought a vacuum cleaner from a guy on ebay via postal money order which obviously infers that I had a physical address to mail him the $. I also had his phone number & I even called and got the guys niece one time. After it was apparent I was bilked I 1st took the route of it being a Federal crime due to fraudulent use of the U.S. Mail, which it was that crime. LOL in trying to get anywhere with the USPS! Part of my reason for posting here is to say , just don't waste your time with that as they simply will not take the effort to pursue it. Secondly, as you have an address you can try to contact local law enforcement via phone after a web search for the right person in that LEO dept.. I was dealing with a person that lived in my state,KY, & my 1st contact was a total wash , as the lady really wasn't interested in my situation. I was then at the point of driving to the guys house & getting my $. Please no lectures on that idea. I then got lucky in reading a news account of web crime with mention of Louisville,KY & the article even had the detectives name(he had all the internet cases & there were lots!) saying how poor the chances were for nabbing these people,etc.. I call that guy & it happens that he's interested & I was able to help put my guy in jail. He was a mgr @ a fast food & had a sideline in bilking people. In my case I got restitution through the court system.

For what it's worth, you could put him in a world of hurt. He committed mail fraud by accepting a postal money order and not fulfilling the order.

Read my story below. I'll add that I once had a box of loose pearls from a NYC jewelry supplier on approval with a deposit involved. At the time I was doing jewelry on the side. The box was insured for several hundred dollars via the USPS. I returned the pearls that I didn't want & kept some too. After being unable to get my $ back I went to the post office. It was a waste & I didn't collect a dime as the company simply did not answer contacts. Money gone. My MIL, was a postmaster & couldn't believe the story. My notion of collecting anything from those guys is "fat chance"!
Like me you watch too many movies:)

Just a warning, I have been beat for $280.If anyone does a deal with Gary from Orland Cal. beware. He was supposed to send me carbs for my /5 3 weeks ago, he keeps coming up with excuses and finally no response at all.Probably my fault for not getting more info on him.I have been buying on IBMWR for a long time with no problems, guess there is always a first.

You reported this to IBMWR, right? If not, here is the link.

His location is on pine st in orland california. he says he is employed by u.s. homeland security so it is hard to get ahold of him and also he cannot give out his phone # due to security reasons. what a freakin joke! Maybe i will contact homeland security and tell them what their employees are doing if he is really there.

If you did send a Postal Money Order you can (and should) file a complaint with the US Postal Service at:
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/mailfraudcomplaint.aspx

Personally I would send him a note giving him one last chance to refund your money or you will refer the matter to the USPS Postal Inspectors (insist on a USPS Money Order for the amount paid plus your cost to send to him and give a hard deadline - maybe 5 business days from the time the note is sent.) If no money by that date, file the complaint.

When more than one or two of these things are filed the USPS Postal Inspectors swing into action, and those guys are real pitbulls - I'd say someone willing to rip one person off is always willing to do it to two people. Let the motorcycling community know the facts of what has happened to you, by whom, and what you have done, and see where it goes from there.

You'd be surprised how fast people send refund checks one USPS Postal Inspectors start knocking on their door.

Make sure to call local police. I know quite a few departments have web crime officers. If you have an address & a name & all that info, who knows, he may be a local criminal & this might just help them on another issue.

Make sure to call local police. I know quite a few departments have web crime officers. If you have an address & a name & all that info, who knows, he may be a local criminal & this might just help them on another issue.

That might be a good idea...but we have a relative who's a patrol sargeant on Orland PD...it's a VERY small department and I'm reasonably sure they don't have a web crime unit. That USPS idea seems the best initial route....

Good luck!

I'd definitely report it to the Post Office. I've got a buddy whose a Federal Marshal working fraud related to the USPS. These guys are no joke. They go full on SWAT anywhere in the country with teams of agents or provide surveillance for everything from stealing money out of birthday cards on the sorting floor to Social Security fraud. I'm not guessing that this guy is the master mind behind a huge fake credit card enterprise, but they do take this stuff seriously. You might at least help the next guy by reporting it.

280$.

Sorry to say, at this price, its not going on anybodies HOT list to solve! Guy's guilty of sting'in ya, it appears and maybe, a big maybe he will still come about. Not! What ya looking for, 2 Bings CVs for the /5? That was a good price, IF they were servicable and a likely good set, rebuilt will cost much more. I just spent 450$ for the one carb on my KLR650, a NEW one. This guy may have gone away, out of reach for only a short time. I WOULD try again too, later and see if he stands up, does you right. Somebody MAY know this guy and you can research the 'MOA Annon.Book for members living in that town or nearby? Call'em, spend a few more phone bucks and see if anybody knows the name. May well be a deadend, but something tried and the "book" is a good resource. Randy

One more thought;

OZZIE's BMW Dealer in ChicoCA. is the main resource for all BMW up there and an OLD Dealer. Ozzie is still with us, thank goodness, getting older. HE may well know this guy, or somebody there at the dealer will help. Call'em, another source. Randy

Lots of good tips. In the future I suggest you only pay with vehicles where you have recourse.

I'd follow it up, but for $280, how much time and effort you really want to put into this?

... I'd follow it up, but for $280, how much time and effort you really want to put into this?

At some point it simply becomes a matter of principle. Years ago I chased a business debt for $250 from Small Claims court all the way up to the county Superior court ... they deserved the community "outing".

Thanks everyone for the info, I know its only $280 but its the point that i would never do that to anyone,my parents raised me to be an honest person and i expect people to treat me the same way. I will give it a while longer and see what transpires.

Back