• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trade an R for a K?

stokesrl

I have a low mileage 2007 R1200RT. I've been mulling around the notion of swaping for a k1200gt or k1300gt but I haven't rode a K-GT. I want some feedback from you guys that have ridden both as to why this is a good idea or not. Specifically, handling, torque, maintenance, reliability, confort on longer rides, etc. or anthing else that might play into the mix.

I love the RT but the notion of something that might be a little zippier and smother is interesting. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Zippier and smoother just about sums it up. A friend with an '07 RT and I swapped bikes. Even he admitted the K is smoother and zippier, while I just had a hard time getting past that "riding a sewing machine" feel of the RT. OTOH, mileage is a little lower, and all those "extra" cylinders do add a bit of complexity to the bike.

Your call, of course, but if you want smoother and zippier... :wave

daft (dɑːft)

ÔÇö adj (foll by about )
1. informal foolish, simple, or stupid
2. a slang word for insane
3. informal extremely fond (of)
4. slang frivolous; giddy

[Old English ged?ªfte gentle, foolish; related to Middle Low German ondaft incapable]

I don't think so..

Only you can decide whether the K is for you, so you're going to have to find one that you can demo, on a variety of roads. :)

Good luck.

Last edited:
daft (dɑːft)

ÔÇö adj (foll by about )
1. informal foolish, simple, or stupid
2. a slang word for insane
3. informal extremely fond (of)
4. slang frivolous; giddy

[Old English ged?ªfte gentle, foolish; related to Middle Low German ondaft incapable]

I don't think so..

LOL....see definition 2.

K bikes are interesting, but the Teutonic Twin is the iconic engine for BMW....similar to HD and their siamesed connecting rod 45degree v-twin.

I'm just an unabashed traditionalist. No derision of the Ks meant at all. :thumb

Just yankin' your chain. :nyah

My first bike was a boxer, second was a Yamaha and now I have a K bike. I love my flying brick, but there is nothing like a R bike. KEEP THE "R" AND GET THE K BIKE!

My first bike was a boxer, second was a Yamaha and now I have a K bike. I love my flying brick, but there is nothing like a R bike. KEEP THE "R" AND GET THE K BIKE!

My first 2 BMWs were K bikes. My last 2 BMW bikes are R bikes. The K bikes did EVERYTHING better than the R bikes. There is just something about a boxer twin that speaks to the inner me. I still have the R bikes. I guess it is something some Harley riders would understand.

I made the same switch, I highly recommend it. The GT motor is fantastic, smooth and powerful.

I've had the bike 11 months, road it every day and have yet to find a something she's not comfortable on: curves, highway, dirt, gravel.

The K bike is not as nimble as the RT. You have to manhandle a K bike when compared to the R. You can flick an R into a corner, you'll use more body lean with the K. The power difference on the top end is AWESOME. I've owned '01 RT, '05' 1200RT, 07' 1200GT, and current bike is '09 1300GT. The 1300GT is a major improvement over the 1200. More power, smoother power, better brakes (no servo that costs a small fortune if/when it goes), I didn't like the '07 GT, but I LOVE the '09! I've ridden the 1600GT and it's a nice bike. But I'll stick with '09, for now...

DSCN2415-XL.jpg

Sure I might just trade.

Riding motorcycles to me is about passion which is why I've only owned twins (HD,Triumph, Ducati and now R1200RT). I feel twins evoke this passion that a 4 cyl doesn't so I'll most likely always have a twin of one sort or another. When I decided I wanted to be back on a touring bike after a brief hiatus I knew I didn't want HD again so I demo'd the R1200RT and it was all she wrote. My friends said I should demo the GT as well but I had no interest b/c it isn't a twin.

I'd say find out what your passionate about when it comes to riding and let that be a compass.

Great looking bike but I would only be intererested in a GT

Don't count out the K1200RS. I don't think the differences are that great, and it might be easier to find a used RS.... I think they sold more of them.

I completed a 1600 mile day on my K1200RS, and the bike performed flawlessly. My only complaint of that ride was the small gas tank and the need for a gas stop every couple hours. For long distance riding I would suggest a 2003 or newer for the electronic cruise control.

I completed a 1600 mile day on my K1200RS, and the bike performed flawlessly. My only complaint of that ride was the small gas tank and the need for a gas stop every couple hours. For long distance riding I would suggest a 2003 or newer for the electronic cruise control.
A 1600 mile day? REALLY?? That's a no-stops 67mph average for a full 24 hour day. I'm impressed!

Back