• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Camheads use oil? 2012 R1200RT

...could lead to misinterpretations...Gadgetech

...comparing to 5 minutes after riding...

Welcome.

If by this you mean that your second oil level check was 5 minutes after you started riding, then it's not enough time for the oil to warm up, the thermostat to open, and all the oil to drain into the sump.

Also, at 3200 miles, the engine could still be burning a fair amount of oil, as its nowhere near broken in. I would leave the oil at the dot for now, and check the level after each ride, after the oil has fully warmed up, and has had time to drain for at least 15 minutes after parking the bike.

Mine is a 2012 demo bike. Was almost to the top of the sight glass this morning. I rode the bike about 300 miles today and it's halfway up the sight glass. It's parked in the same spot in the garage on the center stand. Currently have about 3200 miles on it. Always smell burnt oil at a stop.

Edit to say: The engine was cold when I checked it the first time this morning comparing to 5 minutes after riding for quite awhile. According to the manual could lead to misinterpretations.

What kind of riding was it? I found that hilly-curvy roads consumed lots of oil when mine was new. It is great way to break it in because those big jugs suck a lot of oil during compression braking, but it does show up on the window.

Do give it lots of time after you turn it off.

Half way down the site glass is .25 quarts, so that is a quart in 1200. Not unheard of on a new engine. Toyota thinks a quart in 600 is normal for a Rav-4 or Camery all the time. It is in the manual, but don't get me started on that.

Welcome.

If by this you mean that your second oil level check was 5 minutes after you started riding, then it's not enough time for the oil to warm up, the thermostat to open, and all the oil to drain into the sump.

I meant that I checked it cold when it was near the top of the sightglass and at least 5 minutes after my long ride so my results probably aren't accurate. I'm going to do a warm up ride for 20-30 minutes then see what it looks like.

What kind of riding was it? I found that hilly-curvy roads consumed lots of oil when mine was new. It is great way to break it in because those big jugs suck a lot of oil during compression braking, but it does show up on the window.

Yeah, my ride was in the area of NW SC, NE GA and SW NC. All hills and curves just about.

Update to post #4

My 012 RT now has 9K on it. It has used an additional 1 quart in the last 4500 miles for a total of 2 quarts in the 8.2K miles since the 600 miles service (done at 800 miles). I plan on one more mineral oil cycle and then a switch to synthetic. I can't complain.

Crazy how varied our experiences are. My 2012 RT really uses very little oil. None added before the 600 mile service. 5 or 6 ounces added before changing the oil at 3000 miles, and at 5000 miles no additional oil added and the sight glass still reads 3/4.

I did follow the manual break in proceedure and RPM targets very carefully, but I really have no concerns about the motorcycles oil consumption. Perhaps the original writer could have the dealer give it a good going over? (Or as has been written in another website, just take it out for a hard riding day in the mountains, keep the RPM's up and break it in again. That writer claimed it cured his bikes thirst! :dunno)

I wonder how much oil use varies with environmental factors?

My '12 RT is approaching the 6K oil change. Up to last week, it had used ~1/2 qt. since the 600 mi. check. One afternoon last week, I was 2-up in a long, hot DC traffic jam. Oil temp went up to ~3/4 of the display, but never reached the top of the range -- but I could certainly smell hot oil. By the time we got home (and after allowing the engine to drain on the sidestand, then putting it on the centerstand) the level had dropped to the bottom of the red ring in the sight glass. I put in .45L to bring it back to the top of the red ring. It stayed there through this weekend's 650 mi camping trip to the southern VA end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, during which the temps were on the 60's-70's.

I changed the oil and filter at 190 miles. At 932 I did it again. I put in 4 quarts. it was half way up.

Its now at 2600 and almost to the red line. I bought a real 'BMW filter today. When it gets below the red line or hits 3000 miles, I change it. I added 4 oz once.

Using dino 20 50.

I will fill to the top red line this time hoping to make 3ooo miles with out adding.

This weekend I drove it like I stole it. What a frikkin blast !

159 miles of 3rd and 4th gear. I hit the rev limiter a few times.

Edit, I broke it in by the book except the oil changes.

David

When it gets below the red line or hits 3000 miles, I change it.

Edit, I broke it in by the book except the oil changes.

David

6K oil change intervals are really OK and the norm ya know? :whistle Your dollar and your peace of mind...but not necessary...just sayin'.

6000 miles is the norm, but do you ever notice how much smoother and quieter your engine runs with nice fresh clean oil in it? And it seems like reading these threads, writers always say they burn more, or add oil the closer they get to that 6000 mark.

I change it at 3000. The 45 bucks and 20 minutes of labor is worth it to me. Your results may vary. :dunno

:whistle You old Airhead /'57 Buick owners are a hard lot to change your ways...

I think the smoothness is a perception personally...but not my bike nor money...so I don't try to change anyones ways.

2010 RT Oil Usage

I too used a great deal of oil when new. The mechanic said this was normal and to stop using synthetic oil for the first 20 to 30,000 kms. I did that and the oil consumption has stoped completely. I now have nearly 60,000kms on the bike and no oil used between changes..

update to post #4 and #44

I just rode home from Seattle where I stayed with mineral oil and changed oil & filter last. The RT burned 300cc in the 3500 miles home so it appears my oil usage rate has improved. I am now at 12,500 miles.

This flatlander finally had a chance to run up and down some mountain ranges which helped to vary the engine load much more than the mostly flat and straight roads in SE MI and aided the breaking in of the motor.

Last edited:
Update

in post 47

Last oil change 2700 miles

I put in 4 qts 4 oz. Its over full and been that way for 1300 miles.

Bad news, I overfilled it.

Good news it seems to have totally stopped burning oil at 4,000 miles.

My 1100 was burning 1/2 qt (L) every 800 to 1000 miles. 130,000 miles
I pulled it apart for rebuild. The cylinders still had the hone marks from new.
Rings were all 3 lined up on both sides.
Take it for what its worth.

I broke it in by the book. It says no were you can't open it up, just don't exceed xxx rpm.

About 10 miles after I left the dealer, I tried to lift the front wheel. I had plans of keeping it under 4500 rpm. I did. I whacked the throttle in first gear. It lifted the front wheel a little. The engine sputtered and it came back down. All below 4500 RPM. After a minute I figured out it was the traction control.

What a machine!

Back