• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Car Tire as Rear Bike Tire - WHATDOYOUTHINK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to put aircraft tires on my boat trailer. Will it prevent dry rot if I keep them in the lake?

Aircraft tires are not DoT legal, so don't waste valuable mental energy fantacizing over them. Oh, they will dry rot like any tire, and because it is an aviation part, cost you triple what any other tire would cost.

... or an aircraft on their car tires?!?!?

url

Maybe they know something we don't. Nobody's doing it on the front tire, just the back.......

Actually google the term "double darkside". There are folks mounting car tires rear AND front.

No comment, no opinion. I have no facts to go by.

The "double darkside" refers to a rear motorcycle tire from a smaller bike mounted on the front.

Yeah, my mistake- most DD folks do run a rear MC tire on the front. I have read a few posts where a few nutballs (there goes my "no opinion" statement) do run VW car tires front and rear. :scratch

Wow, this thread has taken a decidedly constructive turn. Sounds more like Rants and Raves on Craigslist. All opinion and no data.

A good friend of mine, who I've ridden thousands of miles with, currently tours on a Fatboy Low. The guy does 20-25,000 miles a year and got sick of replacing the rear tire every 8,000 miles or so. Against my advice, as well as nearly everyone else from our riding group, he put a car tire on his bike. It took less than 300 miles for him to realize his mistake. Though the bike was steady when cruising, the turn-in and cornering went to crap. He said that the rear tire was more prone to lockup. The people riding behind him were peppered with gravel and debris kicked up.

Needless to say, it's coming right back off.

The Darksiders are, by and large, people who do nothing who do highway miles. While a car tire might be OK for that, I'd hate to see someone have to do an emergency evasive move with one on the bike.

I've also spoken to vehicle safety inspection stations in both Virginia and Pennsylvania. In both states, a car tire on a bike won't pass.

That's the thing. These guys make this kind of mod, make claims all over the place how it is great for them, and others who know far less than we do, go for it and suffer the results.

The internet is great as a worldwide medium to express ideas. It also sucks as a worldwide medium to express less than great ideas. What works for one person does not apply in general. Like saying, "sure, a S1000RR is a great first bike, just ride safe and you'll do fine."

You gotta take all these comments with a block of salt.

View from the back

I followed a Darksider friend on a Honda GL1800 across West Virginia on Route 50. He runs low pressure in his car tire so that the flat part of the tread will remain flat on the road as the sidewall flexes in the curve. At least, that is what he said it would do.

Here is what I observed. The low pressure caused a lot of bouncing over the bumps as the soft side walls deformed to absorb the impact. When he leaned the bike a little in a corner, the tread did indeed stay flat on the road. However when he leaned over a lot, say 3/4 of the way to grinding the footpegs, the tire tipped onto the edge and only a sliver of the rubber was still on the ground. Hitting a bump in a corner deformed the side wall a LOT! Frankly, I was nervous watching him and worried about the constant sidewall flexing.

At a stop, you can see how the sharp edges of the tire (the right angle from the bottom tread to the sidewall) was wearing and rounding the edge. This made the tread at this juncture thinner than the middle of the tread. So not only are you cornering on a small sliver of tread, the tread is more worn down.

I'll stick with the light side, thank you very much.

So aside from running a car tire, which has more flexible sidewalls than a cycle tire, he purposely runs low pressure to make the tire flex/squirm. Wow, he must be some tire engineer to figure these things out,.........yeesh! Compromise the tire even more by purposely running it low.

Running low tire pressure generally means the tire carcass heats up more. Granted, that tire on a car that weighs, say 3,500 lbs, assuming 50/50 weight dist frt/rr, would put the static tire load at about 875 lbs. A GL1800 weighs over 1000 lbs (with "only" a 150 lb rider) to 1100 lbs, so the rear tire load would be about 500 to 550 lbs. Tire pressure is not linear to static load, so half the load does not mean half the pressure. Reduced tire pressure, if done right, can accommodate a lighter load. But I would say if the tire is load rated at 35 psi, a safe "light" load range would be 28 to 30 psi.

By your description I'd assume he is running far less than that. Which means, even at the lighter static load he is heating up the tire carcass. This is also based on STATIC loading. Dynamic loading (load in motion) is altogether another issue, and all the additional flexing and deformation that he has purposely assaulted the tire with means even more heat. It may last, until the tire carcass starts to really heat up and come apart. I wouldn't wish that on anyone on two wheels.
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb,.....really dumb.

That's the thing. These guys make this kind of mod, make claims all over the place how it is great for them, and others who know far less than we do, go for it and suffer the results.

The internet is great as a worldwide medium to express ideas. It also sucks as a worldwide medium to express less than great ideas. What works for one person does not apply in general. Like saying, "sure, a S1000RR is a great first bike, just ride safe and you'll do fine."

You gotta take all these comments with a block of salt.

I know I won't stop for one of the darkside morons if they get a flat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back