• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Memory card problem.....

gsaddict

Pepperfool
My lady was blasting shots at the Beemer Rally in Nakusp this weekend and ran the battery down to flat while shooting the games.
Result - I think the camera shut down in the middle of the last picture and now the camera will not recover any pictures and my computer won't either...
I suspect the FAT is corrupt.

Is there a fix or program to recover the pictures? All of our holiday shots are on as well :cry

The specifics:
Sandisc 8gb ultra class 6 memory
Sony HX100V Camera

Extrapolating from my own experience with an SD card and my Mac: can you introduce the card directly into your computer, as with an SD slot? If the computer recognizes the card, you could run a disk repair utility to see if the error can be corrected.

Sandisk makes a recovery program, they use to include a mini cd in some packages. It was Rescue pro. There are also several recovery programs on the internet for download, some cost $$ some don't. I have had some problems in the past and they work pretty good, not all were 100%.

I have 2 of the sandisk, I would mail you one if you can't find another suitable program.

Lexar also has a recovery program, but you need to buy a Lexar card to get the code to use it. Unfortunately I had to use it recently and it recovered about 80% of the images on the card.

Not sure if it works with "other" cameras, but Olympus sells a little adapter that your chip plugs in to, then the adapter plugs straight into any USB port.

I had a total freeze up with my Kodak camera, removing the battery for minute 'rebooted' it. Probably not the same problem, but handy to know.

First of all thank you all for your help! :wave

I downloaded Rescue Pro and it scanned the card and announced "a severe problem with the media or damaged card"

I tested the program with an good sd card and the program and found the pictures right away.

I guess I am out of luck.........on the bright side (if there is one) the Sandisc card has a lifetime warranty

Unless the program you are using gives you the option to data carve, you won't be able to recover anything. I think you are right, either the FAT or the MBR is corrupted. If the FAT is corrupted, data carving would work, but if the MBR is bad, then I think you are FUBAR, even with professional level forensic tools.

I didn't look too deeply, but I would suggest you download an open source data carving tool and run that against the data and see what you get:

http://geekyprojects.com/data-recovery-2/best-data-recovery-software-top-10-list/

Good luck man. :wave

You all have done a great job on putting together a nice rescue thread for something that could be in photography or gear. I'd like to move it, tag it up and maybe add something to the title so others can find the info.
GSAddict, you started the thread....thoughts? Gary

You all have done a great job on putting together a nice rescue thread for something that could be in photography or gear. I'd like to move it, tag it up and maybe add something to the title so others can find the info.
GSAddict, you started the thread....thoughts? Gary

Please be my guest. Thank you.

Back