• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

$26.5k...amazing

For the additional $'s over a stock softtail I would prefer to spend it in a manner that would make my bike unique. Custom m/c's are anything but cheap especially if one considers man hours. People will spend big dollars for "CUSTOM" bikes and nobody markets the biker culture than HD. For that amount of money I would be happy buying 2 or 3 used bikes that I've lusted after for years. If you can afford it, buy it, if not be patient as you may acquire your desire at a later time at a much better price.

If you handed me $26.5K to buy a bike with, I would buy a good bike, not a hard image.

I would come back on a GS or a GTL. The HD looks pretty, but that is about where it ends for me.

Give me that much money I'd buy a used R1100RT and build a shed to put it in!

My H-D riding friends would smile and say that is where that German piece of ... belongs and offer you a beer.

Given the chance I would ride it. I would have fun while I was doing that. No I wouldn't buy one but that is another proposition.

This is a 2013 110th Anniversary bike from the H-D CVO division so it will carry a premium price even for them. If the bike does not interest you, and I do understand that, the CVO business model should create some discussion but never does.

Custom bikes, in the one off or very limited run custom bike shop type, are very expensive when compared to mass produced bikes in the same class from any builder. The H-D CVO bikes inhabit a niche between the standard and full custom by offering mass customization at a premium over stock models.

BMW has explored the idea but so far has not pursued it. I my guess is they can build a business model for it but are not at all certain there customer base would embrace the mass customization idea instead of going out and spending money in the after market. That does surprise me.

"...the only thing low about this sport custom is its silhouette."

Certainly not the price!! :hide

My H-D riding friends would smile and say that is where that German piece of ... belongs and offer you a beer.

Given the chance I would ride it. I would have fun while I was doing that. No I wouldn't buy one but that is another proposition.

This is a 2013 110th Anniversary bike from the H-D CVO division so it will carry a premium price even for them. If the bike does not interest you, and I do understand that, the CVO business model should create some discussion but never does.

Custom bikes, in the one off or very limited run custom bike shop type, are very expensive when compared to mass produced bikes in the same class from any builder. The H-D CVO bikes inhabit a niche between the standard and full custom by offering mass customization at a premium over stock models.

BMW has explored the idea but so far has not pursued it. I my guess is they can build a business model for it but are not at all certain there customer base would embrace the mass customization idea instead of going out and spending money in the after market. That does surprise me.

The CVO models are for "riders" who don't have the mojo to modify a bike to fit their needs and tastes.

Harley also makes a tidy additional profit on these bikes because the cost to add the CVO parts on the assembly line is a fraction of the premium they charge over the base model. The assembly steps and thus labor costs, are the same as for the stock bike, only painting their body work is more time consuming. The rest of the stuff on them is right out of the Parts and Accessories Catalog.

You could do exactly the same, other than the paint, to your own bike with readily available P&A components, and for a darn sight less money. Then again, everything about Harley is "hey, look at me" and riding something that everyone knows cost a small mint to buy is all about ego and appearances.

Like I said, it's a two wheeled Mardi Gras float.

With my apologies in advance to the mods

So now we rip riders who have limited skills, inclination etc and more money? Frankly, from questions on this forum and others I have read, that attitude turns a lot of MOA members and potential members into second class citizens along with Mojo less H-D CVO riders.

You are 100% right H-D makes more money off CVO models. Isn't that what companies do: find niches they can exploit with their manufacturing abilities to make a profit? I have a grand daughter who turned 13 yesterday and has gotten H-D stock for her birthdays and Christmas for the H-D riding side of her family all those years and is very happy with H-D making a profit.

I was curious to find a reaction to the concept of mass customization in relation to BMW and the BMW community of riders. But ripping on H-D riders and H-D is, as usual, the order of the day.

I will leave the thread to all of you to carry on.

We humans are a funny bunch...whatever activity I'm taking part in is a worthwhile pursuit and everyone else is just wasting time...my personal style is spot on while everyone else is a pirate or redneck or a squid...my bike is the only logical choice for a REAL rider...all those other bikes are outdated cartoonish junk that will surely get you killed or leave you stranded...I wear ATGATT so clearly I'm way smarter and more evolved than the guy in shorts and a t-shirt. I wonder what it is that makes us want to feel superior at the expense of others. I assume its deep-seated insecurity or questions of self-worth. I like bikes. I can appreciate a $100K blinged out custom at Daytona, a state of the art electric bike, a vintage Vespa scooter, a full pop race bike, stretched out drag bike, or ratty old English iron. If it brings a smile to your face, I say do it. Who am I to judge you? There's already enough people in the world who think that motorcycles are a worthless pursuit and we're just wasting time and money on our way to certain early death. Why would we look to throw stones ate one another on top of that. If you don't dig HDs, why would you want to alienate a fellow rider who does by making disparaging remarks about his choices? Do you have so many friends that you're not interested in making any new ones? The perceived anonymity of the internet sure can make people uncivil to one another.

Slinging s$&@

Well stated by all, especially bashing another rider because he drives something else, not very nice...:brow...however......I have owned a Harley, was a HOG member, even earned my broken Harley wings thanks to the 80 year old blind and deaf lady. I get more snears and "look at that cute little bike, he's not a real motorcycle driver because he wears a helmet and safety gear" from the weekend Harley crowd than any other. Hell I was driving from Kennesaw GA to Cocoa Beach FL one day and stopped for a piss break when these two guys pulled next to me with two beautiful Harley's on a trailer. "hey look at that cute little bike, you taking it out around the neighbor hood for a little spin?" My reply...why I am, 500 mile spin thank you and you? Open mouth and looking at each other like idiots.
Not saying all here, but it seems like you get a group of Harley guys next to you and they look at you with an air of contemp, like your not a real biker or something.:banghead Don't get me wrong here, I can also say I've seen some real as$&@ holes on BMW's too. So let's stop bashing each other and show some class, it's tough enough already with the four wheel, texting, eating, farting, booger picking and general jerk drivers in cars. I'm done now :sick
PS my bike is old and cute....1974 R60/6, daily driver.

Back