• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airheads/Vintage Club at the Aerodrome

Friedle

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair
JUNE 24-26, 2005

10TH ANNUAL "AIRHEADS AT THE AERODROME" CAMPOUT

At Dutchess County Wilcox Park located one mile east of the Taconic Parkway on Route 199 in Milan, NY. Note: Campers, motor homes and trailers are not permitted on the Taconic Parkway. Contact me for alternate routes to the site.

Come join us for two nights camping with lots of shaded camping space. Clean restrooms, free hot showers, covered pavilion, swimming lake, boating lake,fields and hiking trails. Renowned chef Karla will once again prepare her fabulous Saturday night steak dinner (ONLY for those whose pre-paid pre-registrations are postmarked by 17 June 2005). There are restaurants and stores about 8 miles east in Pine Plains, NY for those who choose not to pre-register or wish to fix their own meals. Cooking and campfires on site are permitted. There will be a group ride to the Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome on Saturday afternoon for an amazing air show, air show admission not included in the rally fee.

Special guests this weekend will be members of the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, LTD displaying a wonderful selection of BMW motorcycle history. There will also be an informal swap meet for those who wish to bring along motorcycle related parts to sell. Sell those parts you didn't sell at Mayday Madness or don't really want to haul out to Mid Ohio. Swap meet vendor spaces are free.

Motor home/camper electrical and water hookup spaces are limited, so please pre-register early. Parking for four wheelers and trailers is available on site. Contact me for local lodging information for the camping challenged.

Cost for the weekend camping (including Saturday night dinner for the pre-registered) is only $20.00 per person, children 12 and under are admitted free. ALL BMW riders and their guests are welcome. Questions,directions, information or to pre-register, contact: Michael Friedle, 8 College Ave, Poughkeepsie, NY, 12603; 845-473-1337; mfriedle@verizon.net

Next year at the aerodrome

If you were one of the approximately 120 people who attended this year, thanks for coming. I know you had a great time.

If you weren't there, you missed a great time.

2006, we'll do it again, same time (weekend after Father's Day), same place.

Friedle

Had a great time!

I took up MikeF on his Airheads at the Aerodrome invite this past weekend.

I didn't have to work Fri so I left early, around 10:30 and took a no-hwy route. RT 68 thru Cheshire, CT to RT 42 then RT 67. RT 199 to RT 45 by Lake Waramaug to RT 4. Then into NY and RT 199 to the Rally site. It was a nice ride - my first time traveling on the airhead packed for camping. Very relaxing.

The rally is at Wilcox Park a county park which is in the woods, with a swimming pond and campsites. A very nice place indeed. I'm amazed Mike could talk a government employee into allowing a m/c rally there! I got there and set up before 2pm.

So I went for a ride across the Hudson into the Catskills. I have never been there before and enjoyed a nice 100 mile loop thru the northern half trying RT 28, RT 214, RT 23A and RT 42 back to RT 28. I finished up on NY RT 28A - what a road! Worth the ride up there just for that road.

I'm glad Mike suggested I bring my swim trunks because it was warm still after 5pm. I went for a swim then headed into town, Red Hook, for supper. I went to Max Bar-B-Q and it was the best I've had in the north. Highly recommended!!!

I walked about, checked out bikes, drank some beer and said hello before turning in. Sat was an early start. These airhead guys get up early but not as early as the birds in the tree above my tent. I decided to head back to the Catskills but stopped at a diner for a typical travelers buffet. It was edible.

I rode during the heat of the day around most of the NYC reservoirs. It really is beautiful country. I had to start back on RT 28A then took County RT 42 and that was even better. Kinda narrow and a bit rough at times but I had it all to myself and it went thru the mountains and past a beautiful waterfall. I actually stopped there. I usually don't stop except for gas and drinks and regret it later. Not this time!

I eventually got to RT 55A and then RT 55. I saw some airheads down there coming the other way as I turned onto County RT 19 hoping to get over to County RT 47 but got lost and ended up back at RT 55A & RT 55 sometime later. So I took RT 17, my first hwy of the weekend over to RT 30. RT 30 took me back to RT 28 then I took a detour thru Woodstock on RT 212 and RT 375. Got suck behind some slow cars there for the first time. That was another 200 miles in the Catskills.

Of course I hit the pond again upon my return just before supper. I had one of the best rally meals ever this past weekend. Steak (and I didn't have to cook it myself!), sausage, salads, pasta, rice and plenty of it. Mike handed out a bunch of door prizes, nobody went home empty handed. I looked around for familar faces. Didn't see any YB'ers (except that cop!) but did see a few YB stickers. Saw a few CRV'ers I know and talked around the campfire and finished off some beers Sat nite.

Sunday was an early day again. Packed and on the road early without much effort. Some CRV'ers led me thru some fun Country roads to breakfast. So early the first couple places weren't open yet and we were first at the third. I took RT 44 to RT 63 back to RT 68 to get home. That RT 63 is borrrrrrring!!! But I was home by 10:30 and unpacked by 11AM.

I want to say Mike does a great job with this event. It's small and low key. Not much but dinner and door prizes - which is fine with me. Not knowing many faces and with no central campfire it was a little more difficult to get to know some folks but the few I did meet for the first time were wonderful people. It was my first time with the Airheads and in the Catskills and it was a trip to remember even if it was under 600 miles in 48 hours.

MarkF said:
So I went for a ride across the Hudson into the Catskills. I have never been there before and enjoyed a nice 100 mile loop thru the northern half trying RT 28, RT 214, RT 23A and RT 42 back to RT 28. I finished up on NY RT 28A - what a road! Worth the ride up there just for that road.

did almost this same loop last year, beautiful roads

sounds like a fun time, wish i still had an airhead!

Aerodrome vehicle requirements

Hello Bubba,

Attendance criteria for ANY personal event I organize for the Airheads or the Vintage Club is as follows:

Any BMW rider and their guests on 1, 2 or 3 wheels are welcome!

4 wheelers are also welcome, but encouraged to arrive with a full cooler of assorted beverages to share or a full load of firewood.

Friedle

11th Annual Airheads/Vintage Club at the Aerodrome

JUNE 23-25, 2006

11TH ANNUAL "AIRHEADS AT THE AERODROME" CAMPOUT

At Dutchess County Wilcox Park located one mile east of the Taconic Parkway on Route 199 in Milan, NY. Note: Campers, motor homes and trailers are not permitted on the Taconic Parkway. Contact me for alternate routes to the site.

Come join us for two nights camping with lots of shaded camping space. Clean restrooms, free hot showers, covered pavilion, swimming lake, boating lake,fields and hiking trails. Renowned chef Karla will once again prepare her fabulous Saturday night steak dinner (ONLY for those whose pre-paid pre-registrations are postmarked by 17 June 2006). There are restaurants and stores about 8 miles east in Pine Plains, NY or 10 miles west in Rhinebeck, NY for those who choose not to pre-register or wish to fix their own meals. Cooking and campfires on site are permitted. There will be a group ride to the Olde Rhinebeck Aerodrome on Saturday afternoon for an amazing air show, air show admission not included in the rally fee.

Special guests this weekend will be members of the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, LTD displaying a wonderful selection of BMW motorcycle history. There will also be an informal swap meet for those who wish to bring along motorcycle related parts to sell. Swap meet vendor spaces are free.

Motor home/camper electrical and water hookup spaces are limited, so please pre-register early. Parking for four wheelers and trailers is available on site. Contact me for local lodging information for the camping challenged.

Cost for the weekend camping (including Saturday night dinner for the pre-registered) is only $20.00 per person, children 12 and under are admitted free. ALL BMW riders and their guests are welcome. Questions,directions, information or to pre-register, contact: Michael Friedle, 8 College Ave, Poughkeepsie, NY, 12603; 845-473-1337; mfriedle@verizon.net

11th Annual

Thread Bump!

Just a gentle reminder that the event is approaching quickly. Check the details about pre registering if you would like to take part in the fabulous Saturday night dinner prepared by the famous Chef Karla.

Hope to see you there. This event is open to all BMW riders and their guests, not just Airhead or Vintage riders.

Friedle

Back