• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hot Hot Hot

I finally installed some hi-way pegs on my K-100. Got em at Bob's in Md. They are called HPK-2, $59 a pair. A little pricey but they slide right into the BMW engine protection bars. When U add the BMW footpeg rubbers it almost looks stock. Most of the heat coming off my bike is from the waist down to the legs. At least now I can get my legs out from behind the lower fairing and avoid some of that miserable heat. Will work great for interstate riding.

Ridealot said:
The K-guards will probably never become available. I think it is a dead site. They have been "sold out" for a few years now. Even a row boat from china could have made a couple of trips by now. :dunno

I gave up on the heat shields.

updated pics of exhaust diverter

scootrp125x said:

I finally bought a cobalt drill bit and drilled a small hole inside of the tailpipe. Now the screw is securely holding the diverter in place. I updated the pictures on the web link to show a bit more detail on how to install the diverter in the tailpipe.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/p...862654&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Mark

modifications are working well

I installed Bakerbuilt Airwings a couple of weeks ago. Coupled with the Parabellum windshield which is smaller than the original BMW windshield I believe that I am getting more airflow to my body and staying cooler. There is still some heat coming through the slots at the base of the kneepads. I might try covering up the slots but I have been told that this doesnt help much. A mesh riding jacket will probably be my next purchase for hotter riding conditions.

Mark

update on exhaust diverter

I finally bought a cobalt drill bit and drilled a small hole inside of the tailpipe. Now the screw is securely holding the diverter in place. I updated the pictures on the web link to show a bit more detail on how to install the diverter in the tailpipe.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/p...862654&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Mark

It's been a couple of years with my homemade exhaust diverter. It has worked out very well to keep fumes away from the back of the bike.

Recently I noticed that the diverter was loose in the tailpipe. The plumbing trap metal had worn around the screw holding it in the tailpipe resulting in a loose diverter. I removed the screw and extracted the diverter. Then I cut a slot in the top of the diverter similar to but shorter than the slot that in the underside of the diverter (the top slot will be inside the tailpipe when the diverter is inserted into the tailpipe). Then I put the screw back in the tailpipe with a couple of lock washers on it to keep it tight when finished. I left the screw out about halfway in and slid the diverter onto the mounting screw, put a screwdriver in through the bottom slot and tightened the screw.

I'll update the pictures the next time I have it out of the muffler. Until then here are the original pictures.

Mark

K bikes cause global warming

I ride a 85 k100rt in Vermont (this bikes extends my short riding season by precious weeks!).

I've got all the head mods listed above, K-guards, Air-Wings (upper and lower) and pop up vents on my windshield..other tricks I've found work? tall riding boots w/shin guards and heat wrap/tape in strategic places! Some of the older K's also have 2 small air deflectors that fit inside the fairing @ the forks to help guide some fresh air behind the fairing.

Check your new Rider Wearhouse catalog for heat wrap for exhaust pipes, combine that w/the exhaust extender listed in this forum and you've got a fire breathing K!

A set of K-Guards just got listed on E-bay...auction ends in 6dys

I've got all the head mods listed above, K-guards, Air-Wings (upper and lower) and pop up vents on my windshield..other tricks I've found work? tall riding boots w/shin guards and heat wrap/tape in strategic places! Some of the older K's also have 2 small air deflectors that fit inside the fairing @ the forks to help guide some fresh air behind the fairing.

Check your new Rider Wearhouse catalog for heat wrap for exhaust pipes, combine that w/the exhaust extender listed in this forum and you've got a fire breathing K!

A set of K-Guards just got listed on E-bay...auction ends in 6dys

Where did you put the tape?

heat tape...

just re-read my previous post...the tape is for the bike, not my legs (but that is one thing I haven't tried yet!)

I have a set of K-Guards that got re-taped, as well as some add'l tape cut to fit (instead of insulation) in the gaps between fairing and tank. With the heat wrap on the exhaust, my exhaust gas seems to be a lot hotter, so a little heat protection on the bottom of your bags might also be in order.

I'm doing some body work on my 85 K100rt this winter, considering removing the lowers and designing a body "scoop" on the underside of the fairing to redirect air a little better...but then I would have cold legs in March, April, Sept and October!

lots of posts about how uncomfortable/hot this bike is, but like Jimmy Buffet said, you just gotta go where the weather matches your clothes (or bike!)

updated pics

Here are 3 new pictures of the diverter. They show the new slot in the top, the old slot in the underside and the mounting screw in the tailpipe. Just slide the diverter into the tailpipe on the screw, then tighten the screw through the larger slot from the bottom. When I get a few minutes I will put the pictures directly onto this forum since my photo program Image Station is going to shut down in a few months.

Mark

Here goes a try at inserting a picture. Top view of the modified diverter with the new slot.

Attachments

• diverter2.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 148
End view showing mounting screw. Slide the diverter onto the screw then tighten from the underside.

Attachments

• diverter4.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 146
K75 Fairing vents

I'm with Gail, I've refered to my K75 as my "Winter Bike" for years. FWIW, I have been told that you can block of the 3 (4?) verticle vents just in front of your shins to good effect, but I never tried it. I figured they were there for a reason.

I blocked off the vents on my K75RT and it did absolutely no good.

Heat Shields

K guard heat shields, call Tony Tabot in Bartlett, Tn. 901 314 0143, he makes 'em for K100 RT/LT. if U have a 75 RT, just call make an appointment and he can make U a set on the spot. Bartlett is next to Memphis, Tn. .:german

Posted this elsewhere on the forum today.

One important factor is keeping the heat from getting to you, instead of trying to ventilate it away.

Check out this link to K11 Owner's Group:

http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic...oil+insulation

And it really works- BIG difference in reducing heat to the rider.

Easy 10-15 minute mod. Easy to remove when colder riding season returns.

Try it, I'll bet you REALLY like it.

Monday I rode 260 miles with the lower fairing removed from my K100LT. My feet were cooler but the back drafr pulled the hot engine heat onto my upper torso and face.

Yesterday I put the lowers back on and bought aluminum tape and taped the cracks up under the knee guards and around the tank. I made a complete air dam around the air box. I stuffed 1/2" pipe insulation into the cracks under the gas tank. I have never felt that much air was diverted through the fairing louvers, when I would place my hand to feel. Now quite a lot of heat is escaping through the louvers and very little is coming back on me. The throttle bodies keep from making an airtight seal on the left, but 90% of that air is not getting to me. It's now ridable in 90 degree temps.

Ralph Sims

lots of posts about how uncomfortable/hot this bike is, but like Jimmy Buffet said, you just gotta go where the weather matches your clothes (or bike!)

Jimmy B. never sang it. Harry Nillson made the song & line famous, but he didn't write it either. http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1217

This was my highly successful (tho not inexpensive) method for fixing K-bike heat....
ducatchurch2.jpg

Back