• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hot Hot Hot

scootrp125x

They call me Gort
Love my 92 K75RT purchased a couple of weeks ago. It runs great and is in great shape. :)

I had an 86 K100RT a few years ago when I lived in NC. It was really hot behind the fairing in the summer. I found the K75RT to be just about as hot and it isnt even summer yet here in western PA. The thermometer on the handlebar reads 80 degrees on a 60 degree day. Looks like I'll have to get a set of Baker Air Wings like I had on my K100. Does anyone know if windshield pop-up vents can be installed like my old Vetter Windjammer fairings?

Useless reply...

scootrp125x said:
Love my 92 K75RT purchased a couple of weeks ago. It runs great and is in great shape. :)

I had an 86 K100RT a few years ago when I lived in NC. It was really hot behind the fairing in the summer. I found the K75RT to be just about as hot and it isnt even summer yet here in western PA. The thermometer on the handlebar reads 80 degrees on a 60 degree day. Looks like I'll have to get a set of Baker Air Wings like I had on my K100. Does anyone know if windshield pop-up vents can be installed like my old Vetter Windjammer fairings?

#1 reason I have two bikes, one fared, one not. Just get another bike. :doh

I checked with 3 windshield manufacturers. Parabellum is the only one that sells a K75RT windshield but it does come with pop-vents. I'll start with Air-Wings and if I cant stand the heat I'll consider a new windshield with vents for more airflow.

SheRidesABeemer said:
#1 reason I have two bikes, one fared, one not. Just get another bike. :doh

I'm with Gail, I've refered to my K75 as my "Winter Bike" for years. FWIW, I have been told that you can block of the 3 (4?) verticle vents just in front of your shins to good effect, but I never tried it. I figured they were there for a reason.

Look for these things called "K-Guards". They fill in the space around the coil pack and the fill the openings on each side. Heat flows out through the rear instead of getting sucked up into the cockpit.

Combine them with the Air Wings and I bet it'd be pretty comfy.

Different windshields

I just spent the weekend at the Laurel Highlands rally here in western PA. Great rally and hot temps. I noticed that my windshield must be about the biggest BMW model made. I saw a couple of other K75RT's with different windshields, one with an Aeroflow and another with a BMW windshield that is smaller than mine and has adjustable side pieces. I'm going to check into a smaller windshield to increase airflow and reduce heat buildup. Does anyone know which is better (cooler), an Aeroflow with the air slot at the base of the windshield or the BMW model with adjustable "wings" on the sides? I'll start checking out the flea markets for them.

Mark

Beat the Heat

I'm loving my new '92 K75RT and have been fiddling around with the heat issue somewhat after perusing the threads here and elsewhere. While replacing my air filter I had the right side lower fairing off and started thinking--why not strip off both sides to see what effect it had while riding? So, after an afternoon of fiddling around making up some bent conduit support rods to hold up the back edge of the upper fairing and the radiator shroud, I went for a fine ride. Two things resulted--the heat doesn't get trapped around my legs anymore and also there's no exhaust smell floating around.

Now for the questions--
1. I'm sure someone has tried this before and there's got to be something wrong with it--any guidance?
2. Has anyone checked for Carbon Monoxide (CO) levels while riding an RT model? Can't y'all smell the exhaust fumes? Or is it just me with this particular bike?

It is possible to remove the lowers on the fairing. I saw a K75RT with the lowers removed last weekend at the Laurel Highlands Rally. The owner also had removed the cowling around the radiator. He said it helped reduce the heat although it made the bike look like it had not been fully reassembled after the last servicing.

As for the exhaust smell, I smell it too and notice that my riding jacket smells like exhaust after a ride. I havent had any adverse reaction to the CO2 but I know it is there. That's another good reason to get a smaller windhield or one that lets more air flow past me.

Mark

parabellum

I've got a Parabellum WS on my '94 RT and it has a huge hole(scoop) at the base of the plexiglass that lets air into the cavity behind the fairing. It doesn't seem to let too much rain in but it does help a little with the heat...it's still hot though. I kept it because it's so much more quiet than the stocker.

Thanks for the Parabellum tip. From what I have seen of the Parabellum screens it should be a big help, especially the model with pop-vents. I need to order the air wings too.

scootrp125x said:
the BMW model with adjustable "wings" on the sides? I'll start checking out the flea markets for them.
Mark
I also oppted for this model and its a big improvement, can bend the side wings to have direct stream at the face area.

As for the exaust smell , i have two extra contributing factors. First is a shorter exaust (Luftmeister) and then when towing a trailer its worse. I have seen some K's with an exaust extension and they have mentioned it helps.

The shape of the stock muffler on the K75 with the leading taper and then the blunt end looks to me like it's perfect for contributing to the "station wagon" effect. Particularly with luggage attached and the full fairing on, there's a lot of dead air created which the exhaust will readily fill. I expect that if BMW did one of those neat wind tunnel analyses on our older RT's like we saw in the ON magazine, we'd see it clearly. The objective is to somehow separate the exhaust flow from that nice cozy air bubble we're snuggled up into--a little NASA help here might do the trick. Something like those stubby vortex generators you see on the top of 747 wings maybe??

John

Air Vents

The vents in front of my shins on my K75RT had been filled in with foam rubber. I removed it to improve airflow. It does improve the airflow but it's hot air! I put the foam back in.

LR

Go Bottomless!

There's precious little ram air provided to those little slits since the glove boxes occupy almost all of the space needed to feed air down there. I'm pretty convinced that the heat is sucked in behind the lower fairing legs into the dead air space created there. Next time you're checking/replacing your air cleaner, leave that right side lower off and take a ride--you won't believe the difference!

John
92 K75RT "Bottomless"

Vetter pop-out vents...revisited

scootrp125x said:

Hey Scoot....why don't you give CLEARVIEW SHIELDS in Bailey, Colorado (800-798-6089) a call and see what they can do for you with regard to the Vetter pop-out vents? They list your K75RT as one of the windscreens they supply over the counter. They also sell the windscreens that fit the Vetter 'Jammer fairings - I bought a dandy from them several years back and it's still going strong on my /5.

Craig Vetter is still around, has a good website and is now selling newly-made restoration parts for his classic 'Jammer fairings. He re-introduced the pop-out vents a while ago - something like $22 a pair. Maybe you could buy a set of the vents from Vetter and have them sent to ClearView in Colorado where they could be installed in a new K75RT windscreen for a modest fee. Or maybe ClearView has already thought of that and has RT screens with the pop-outs already installed just waiting for you to call. (???)

Good luck and hope you get some air up there in the RT cockpit! :thumb

Last edited:
Here is what I did

bmwrider@beer said:
I also oppted for this model and its a big improvement, can bend the side wings to have direct stream at the face area.

As for the exaust smell , i have two extra contributing factors. First is a shorter exaust (Luftmeister) and then when towing a trailer its worse. I have seen some K's with an exaust extension and they have mentioned it helps.

Went to the local hardware store and purchased a chrome plumbing trap. Cut it in half and drilled a hole into the extension and the muffler to attach it with a sheet metal screw. It redirects the exhaust away from the bag and off the front of the trailer. :thumb

Bill

Photo?

OK, I like the idea of getting the exhaust redirected & got the general idea. I really want to try it, but I'm puzzled as to how you attached it--can you snap a pic for us??

Thanks,
John

1 picture = 1000 words

wndsrfr said:
OK, I like the idea of getting the exhaust redirected & got the general idea. I really want to try it, but I'm puzzled as to how you attached it--can you snap a pic for us??

Thanks,
John
Ok John,
Here it is. Just got back from the National and had to clean/dry out the tent and recharge batterys. I cut the flange off the trap so the pipe will slip into the end of the muffler. There was a small blob "technical term" :D of weld inside of the muffler which I ground down with a dremel tool. Inserted the trap/pipe extension and positioned it. Drilled a pilot hole to fit a sheet metal screw from the bottom of the trap into the inside of the muffler. Then open the bottom pilot hole on the extension to "clear" the threads on the sheet metal screw. Install the sheet metal screw and your done. If you decide to remove the extension before installing the sheet metal screw make some witness marks on the extension pipe so it can be reinstalled to the same position. :thumb

Bill

Clearview and Vetter windshield tip

SlashFiveTourer said:
Hey Scoot....why don't you give CLEARVIEW SHIELDS in Bailey, Colorado (800-798-6089) a call and see what they can do for you with regard to the Vetter pop-out vents? They list your K75RT as one of the windscreens they supply over the counter. They also sell the windscreens that fit the Vetter 'Jammer fairings - I bought a dandy from them several years back and it's still going strong on my /5.

Craig Vetter is still around, has a good website and is now selling newly-made restoration parts for his classic 'Jammer fairings. He re-introduced the pop-out vents a while ago - something like $22 a pair. Maybe you could buy a set of the vents from Vetter and have them sent to ClearView in Colorado where they could be installed in a new K75RT windscreen for a modest fee. Or maybe ClearView has already thought of that and has RT screens with the pop-outs already installed just waiting for you to call. (???)

Good luck and hope you get some air up there in the RT cockpit! :thumb

Thanks for the great ideas. I checked the Clearview website and will call them about replacement shields or possible modification with the Vetter pop vents. I didnt realize Vetter was selling replacement parts, glad to see it. The Goldwing really looks nice. I still think Vetter made the best looking touring items ever!

hot hot hot

I have a 87 K100RT and I know the heat it can put out; great for winter, terrible for summer. I have both sets of knee pads for the fairing lowers. I run the stock solid ones in the summer hot weather and along with the K-Guard heat shields and this helps. During the winter cold weather I run the slotted knee pads which throws the heat to my leg area and this helps for cold weather. I just got back from the National and heat off the bike was horrendous. I had planned on buying some hi-way pegs to mount on my case guards to get my legs outside the fairing. It seemed like most of the heat on me was from the waist down. Could'nt find what I wanted at the rally so I'll mailorder some hiway pegs. I hope this will help.

Back