• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is what we do really so shocking?

yeah, I've had those kind of questions asked of me on every overnight trip (and quite a few day trips) I've ever had the pleasure of riding... I believe that fear is the where most of those questions come from (especially from other women). Fear of the unknown, fear of machines that they don't know how they work, fear of enjoying themselves 'too' much, fear of being alone...

Our global society teaches women to question themselves, their capabilities, be scared, submissive and stop putting a foot forward very early. I believe that we are coming out of the fog in the past few decades. Here in San Francisco, I feel very lucky to be in an environment that just accepts gender equality, and quite frankly, just tolerance for pretty much whatever you want to throw at us (I'm also a 911 dispatcher....and we have some "express yourself" stuff here that shocks out-of-towners 'cause that's just how the city is). It's a bit of a shock when I travel and run into men that still think they are somehow superior to women.

I saw some incredible photos of truly pioneering female motorcyclists at the Sturgis museum: perhaps we are just a couple generations further along, but still pioneers.

OK, I'm not a gal -

But I tell people that if there is no possibility of death or serious injury, it's just not a vacation for me. That usually stops the conversation. :whistle

They can then go back to playing golf and visiting amusement parks.

LOL. I'm going to borrow that, if you don't mind.
Anne

But I tell people that if there is no possibility of death or serious injury, it's just not a vacation for me. That usually stops the conversation. :whistle

They can then go back to playing golf and visiting amusement parks.

yes indeedy

I have had the response you talk about while on the road. My Wisconsin plates drew awe in Wyoming and Western Montana and a lot of question if I had ridden my bike out there or shipped it. I think it wasn't so much the distance, but seeing a woman riding by herself that was what people were in awe of. I think it has to do with the fact that you're so accessible when you ride and it's so obvious when you're alone. I also think that as a woman I was more approachable in my textile coat and non-threatening bike....people felt more safe coming up to me and asking me questions. There was a guy alone on a Harley all decked in leather and it looked like he hadn't shaved in a while, and we were both stopped for gas. I got the questions, not him.

Plus yes indeedy - it is an adventure if you make it one. It's adventure because I never quite know what will happen, who I will meet or even what roads I'm going to ride for sure....sounds like an adventure to me! Shocking, no, but I think a lot of women want to know how we did it so maybe they get the courage to do it too!!

I always talk to any women bikers I see out. It sad but you don't see all that many. I talk to the pirates too if the acknowledge that I'm there, so maybe 50% of the time.

Back