• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

What to bring on a big trip!

You might want to add these to your list:

* spare eyeglasses
* sunscreen
* cell phone
* small flashlight
* packable hat, i.e. Tilley
* something to clean faceshield

Harry

You might want to add these to your list:

* spare eyeglasses
* sunscreen
* cell phone
* small flashlight
* packable hat, i.e. Tilley
* something to clean faceshield

Harry

Thanks... those are all on my list... 8 days till i leave... my wife was making fun of me tonight because i started to pack... I'm excited what can i say!

been thinking about weather... starting from hot Oklahoma heading through mountains in Colorado then the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route... If i bring a bunch of cold weather gear is is all going to stay in storage?

If i bring a bunch of cold weather gear is is all going to stay in storage?

I doubt it. Weather forecasts indicated that the weather was going be warm for my visit to the Vermont Rally last weekend and therefore the electrics were left at home. Mistake; Sunday's ride home was very cool for me. At this time of year, weather and elevations make taking warm gear along a must.

Have a good (warm) trip.

Here's my list for a Toronto to Calgary via Missoula ride.. 3 weeks on the road goofing about.. Sorry, no camping.

- 2 pairs sink-washable underwear (merino wool)
- 2 pairs Nike riding socks (synthetic, anti-stink)
- 1 synthetic Under-armor riding shirt, again sink washable
- 1 pair mid-weight Helly Hansen long undies
- 1 North Face wind proof jogging / hiking jacket
- 1 Widder heated vest
- 1 pair zip off Columbia pants/ shorts
- 1 pair swim trunks
- 1 long sleeve Under-armor flats - fishing shirt for casual dining etc.
- 1 Tilley hat
- 1 pair pj's
- Klim goretex riding gear, goretex boots, helmet, cool and hot weather gloves
- toiletries ( don't forget sunscreen, Advil yada yada)
- a bunch of Tide sink washing packets
- iPad, loaded with trip advisor, hotel booking apps, etc.
- camera
- camel back 2 ltr

I'm pretty sure I could fit this all in 20ltr backpack, except for the riding stuff. I used to travel a lot heavier, but this makes life way better :). Just do a sink wash at the end of the day, ring out in the hotel provided towel (fold, roll, and step on it to squeeze all the water out of the clothing and into the towel) hang up in the hotel, usually everything's dry by the morning.

We pack the same for a 3 week trip as we do for 5 days. Our longest trip was 5.5 weeks to Alaska and don't remember taking anything more than we do on a short trip.
+1 on this one. Anything that you need beyond 3-5 days is laundry.

For me packing isn't as much about the length

as it is about the destination. If I'm mostly on the road, i wont worry as much about flat tire repairs, or a water filter, etc. But if my destination is WAAAYY off of the beaten path, then i do take those precautions.

A small bag filled with quarters and a small plastic bottle filled with laundry powder or pods
will save a lot of room in clothing. May not be as practical if you're staying in complete wilderness every night, but for me finding a washer and dryer once every four or five days does the trick.

I agree with many here that it is what NOT to bring. Weight is your enemy.

I bring two pair of light underwear and two light T shirts (both of these the quick dry microfiber kind like Patagonia, etc.). Each night I was the dirty ones in the hotel sink and they are dry by morning. I bring one pair of light pants. LIGHT pants.

I also keep various packing lists for various kinds of trips, and this is a very useful habit.

I back pack and so I have learned to be frugal and light. But you are on the road. If you forget something, you just stop by a store and pick up the item you need.

Hey All

I have and did take much of what i learned here to heart!

looking back in hind sight... i would say, what you forget, or couldn't thank of you can buy on the road (even when you are crossing crazy dangerous dirt/rock mountain passes).

Pedro over and out...

Back