• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camp pillow

marchyman

Cam Killer
My camp pillow is shot. I think it's been compressed into the sleeping bag stuff sack one time too many. Have any of you found the perfect camp pillow? :ear

The perfect pillow needs to be big, fluffy, weigh nothing, and compress to less than 10 sq in. I think that leaves the air pillows out (not fluffy), but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

So what do you use?

I have what Aerostich called a Wiggy's Sweater. It is a down jacket liner which I put in a stuff sack. Perfect to wear on a cold morning, or cool evening, and it works fine as a pillow overnight.

Nemo Fillo

I got a Nemo Fillo pillow a couple of seasons ago and I love it. It is the most comfortable camp pillow I have ever had and it packs down the smallest of any I've ever had, they aren't cheap, but anything that is any good usually isn't. Here's a link from the company's site, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper than this, I don't remember paying this much for it. Good luck.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-filo-pillow

REI Cocoon Hyperlite pillow .. .air core but with polyester fill. Packs VERY small but about half the size of a normal bed pillow when inflated, perfect for a sleeping bag. Make yourself a pillow case from an old linen pillow cover, sewn in half . .. you'll never go back to bulky camp pillows.

I have a small down pillow from allaboutdown.com. They have two small sizes 12x16 and 15x20. I jam it in the compression sack with my down sleeping bag.

I use Paul's solution most of the time but also have a couple of Slumberjack brand stuff pillows that stay in our vehicles & go on a camping style bike trip too. They can augment the stuff sack full of extra clothes idea. They are highly compressible.

about 12 years ago I bought an inflatable pillow. It has an air bladder with foam cushions on the outside. It comes with a soft flannel cover. It compresses into a ball about the size of a softball for packing. Infinitely adjustable from soft to hard, and cool to sleep on. Never leave home without it.

I got a Nemo Fillo pillow a couple of seasons ago and I love it. It is the most comfortable camp pillow I have ever had and it packs down the smallest of any I've ever had, they aren't cheap, but anything that is any good usually isn't. Here's a link from the company's site, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper than this, I don't remember paying this much for it. Good luck.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-filo-pillow

2nd the Nemo, I even take it when I go to hotels, as I like a firm pillow, and depending on inflation goes from soft to firm. Many times the hotels are just too soft for my fat head.

A BIG bonus is it is made with a webbing on the back so height can be adjusted by stuffing it with your riding jacket or pants to get the correct height. I don't sleep well if my pillow isn't comfortable, and this one is so adjustable you can get it just right. Goldilocks would be happy:D

I used to stuff a regular pillow into my H2W compression duffle. In an effort to reduce the size of my luggage I did something similar to Paul Glaves on my last trip to the MOA rally. I used my Darien Aerostich jacket liner folded up in a pillow case and it worked great...really comfortable.

I've tried regular camp pillows and I just can't elevate my head enough to be comfortable. I love it when I can find multiple uses for things I decide to pack for the trip. Still trying to reduce what I pack each trip.

I've tried regular camp pillows and I just can't elevate my head enough to be comfortable.

That's why I finally bought a small down pillow with extra stuffing. Feels exactly like the pillow on my bed....because it is. And it adds very negligible size to the compression sack that holds my sleeping bag.

Camp Pillow

Yes, I also need a pillow. I have a Small(Lawn Mower type) intertube that I blow up, Tie in the middle and put in a pillow case. be sure the Valve stem is on the bottom when in use. I run a sidecar so I don't need to let the air out when traveling. All my camping gear(150lb,Including a 30 lb car battery) is in the sidecar. I got tired of rolling up my tens so now i just stuff it in the sidecar and pull it out to dry(always) when i get home.

Thanks for all the ideas... plenty of choices.

I've used the Darien liner as a pillow in the past. It will do if I forget the real thing, but I much prefer the real thing. I've also used a down pillow stuffed in with the sleeping for transport. It didn't last very long.

The nemo, exped, and rei pillows that are a combination of air and some kind of foam or fiber look interesting. I think a trip to REI is in my future. Thanks.

Walmart had those!

Pillows are my worst item to find comfy with too. Walmart sold the inflate types, with soft gel like liners and a sleeve for 5 BUCKS:). Cannot find'em anymore:(. I have a camping closet full of camp pillows of much variety and the cheapy Walmart one above came out the best buy/comfy of all of'em. I've got about two years out of this current one and need another, but they seem gone. They pack sooooo small and I should have bought the entire supply in store. Hindsight! IF I see'em again at Walmart, I'm buying several, maybe all of 'em. I could double my money at rallies:). Randy

Back