• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200GS to K13S

Fortes fortuna iuvat
Just wondering how many have made the switch or own both.

After 6 years of riding the GS I am looking for more performance and would appreciate thoughts on the K13's sport touring capability. I get that it will not be as comfortable but would appreciate thoughts on what it is like for the occasional tour (i.e. multiple 10-14 hour days in the saddle).

K1300S Touring

I can tell you that the K1300S is a great long-distance tourer that will eat up large stretches of interstate quickly. While I've not yet done a trip over eight hours, I know many who own the bike that have done Iron Butt rides on them. An acquaintance of mine has put >2,200 miles in five days on one trip. I must have a funny-shaped butt because I can't do 400 miles per day without regular dosing of Tylenol.

Kent

I get that it will not be as comfortable but would appreciate thoughts on what it is like for the occasional tour (i.e. multiple 10-14 hour days in the saddle).

My wife and I both have a K1300S and find it's plenty comfortable for long days.
You might miss the large GS hotdog boxes to carry your gear, but you'll learn to get by with less on a trip.

Just wondering how many have made the switch or own both.

After 6 years of riding the GS I am looking for more performance and would appreciate thoughts on the K13's sport touring capability. I get that it will not be as comfortable but would appreciate thoughts on what it is like for the occasional tour (i.e. multiple 10-14 hour days in the saddle).

Riding both... well, a 12GSADV and K12s, you will find the K13S fine for the "occasional tour", and especially so if you're flexible. There's less leg room and a longer reach to the bars, but it sounds as though you are expecting this. And you will haul less as noted above.

Something else to consider... on the GS you sit higher and are more upright. I've noticed when riding the GSADV I see more; I notice more (something I like to do when traveling far), versus the lower and lean forward stance of the K13S. But to be sure, the K bike is a mighty bike, and is one of my all time favorite bikes.

Agreed the posture on the GS is more upright and generally higher relative to the road but I can't say that the posture for the S somehow makes it harder to see stuff. It's just a different perspective.

As to long hauls on an S, a friend has literally been all over the country, including Alaska, on his S. "Short legged"? Nah.

Perhaps it is this mountain terrain I'm in, where on the GSADV I marvel at things up high never seen before... "I didn't know there was a cabin up there", or "Ahhh, I see some bighorn sheep on the rock ledge", etc. When on the K12S I tend to be more focused on its performance attributes, leaning forward, etc. But this is me.

Perhaps it is this mountain terrain I'm in, where on the GSADV I marvel at things up high never seen before... "I didn't know there was a cabin up there", or "Ahhh, I see some bighorn sheep on the rock ledge", etc. When on the K12S I tend to be more focused on its performance attributes, leaning forward, etc. But this is me.

Think that maybe when you are on a high performance bike traveling at speed you are more focused on the road and less on scenery LOL.

I have a test ride set for next Friday.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gt?

I have a GT and find I can see over most vehicles except pickups, vans and trucks. I'm 6' and just did a SaddleSore to Sedalia and an unofficial one home. Going out I led the group (Cruise and Radar Detector) and I can tell you I appreciate the way this bike eats up road. I also like the way it's 153bhp can get you by and away from trucks in a hurry. Guys following me out to Sedalia on RTs swore I was down shifting and I was just rolling on in 6th.

Wish 6th gear was taller. While I averaged 46mpg (trip computer indicated) to Sedalia with small top case and side cases, I wouldn't mind better mileage even if it forced me to downshift to get a quick pass. Worst mileage I have seen is 36mpg when I really pushing the bike. You will not get that on an FJR!

I do wish I could have a multi-bike quiver!

Back