• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

C650gt

100,000+ miler
DSC_0003.jpg

Wolf BMW had a test ride day today with the BMW Motorrad Canada test fleet. I signed up for the C650GT, and got in a 90 minute ride. I have a bit of an odd build; a 6 footer's torso and arm length but short 30" inseam so observations are based on that.

DSC_0021.jpg

My frame of reference is an R1200RT, which is far more comparable than you might expect. The C650GT isn't the stereotypical scooter that so many motorcyclists will dismiss out-of-hand. The first impression is of its large size: as can bee seen here, it is as long as an RT, and dry weight is 45lbs more than the RT. It carries the weight extremely low so it feels much lighter.

DSC_0004.jpg

There are a few quirks to get used to if you ride a motorcycle. When the side stand is deployed, it activates the brakes and will not move at all. The GT will not start until the side stand is retracted, ignition on, the brakes applied and the starter pushed. Due to the CVT there is no engine braking when you roll off the throttle; that must be factored into your stopping decisions.

DSC_0013.jpg

Switch gear conforms to the new BMW standard, with seat and grip heat on the right and power windshield, trip meter and dash computer on the left.

The range of motion of the adjustable windshield on the 2011 RT will deflect wind anywhere from the tops of my shoulders to the top of my helmet, depending on setting. The C's windshield has a similar range of motion, but lower. Wind would hit me anywhere from mid-chest at low setting to mid-helmet at the highest. This made for a bit more helmet noise than on the RT.

DSC_0018.jpg

The ergonomics are those of sitting at the kitchen table, completely erect, feet on the floor(boards) in front of you. The bars are closer to the rider so the aftermarket trade may not be making any money selling bar-backs. The seat is surprisingly high, and since you have to reach beyond the floorboards to reach the ground, I was on tip-toes at a stop, compared to on the balls of my feet with the RT low seat.

I sat at the very rear of the seat cushion with lots of lower back support from the bump in front of the passenger portion. The padding is cushy by BMW standards and is the most comfortable stock seat from them I've ever encountered.

There are two good size storage cubbies either side of the dash,

DSC_0024.jpg

and a huge under-seat bin that will swallow a helmet with plenty of room to spare.

DSC_0030.jpg

Acceleration with 60 hp and more weight than an RT is adequate, but once up to speed is much more lively. With the CVT it is a true twist-and-go scooter. Although we didn't get much over 60 mph on rural roads, it felt like there was plenty more to be had. I expect cruising in the 75 mph range would be quite doable.

Right lever is the very good front brake and left lever is a ferocious eyeball-popping rear brake. Used together, they will haul the GT down fast.

Wind protection is close to that of the RT, better in fact for the feet and legs as they are up on the floorboards and behind the leg-shields. With heated seats and grips, this would be a fine foul-weather mount.

With the ease-of-use in stop and go traffic, good cargo capacity, superb weather protection and power to cope with any real-world traffic, the C650GT would make a great commuter or light tourer.

It can probably best be summed up as a lazy man's RT light. For those who don't buy in to the stigma that many riders attach to scooters, the C650GT would be a fine choice.

Last edited:
Nice review and great pictures as well! Good looking scooter. The glossy painted finish between your feet will likely get scuffed up pretty quickly though.

Thanks!

Motorcycle Consumer News wants YOU!

Where I live, I'll probably never even get to see one of these, so your complete and detailed review is much appreciated. You hit all the right subjects.

The "seat-height" issue is a little worrisome, as I'm sure this scooter is aimed squarely at the new rider demographic, and also at the distaff side. New riders like to put both feet on the ground until after they have the MSF course!

Still -- from your review, it sounds as if they did it right, and I hope they sell a load of these and thereby increase the size of the tribe.

Walking Eagle

Best honest review and pictures i have seen !!

Thank you .

Hope they get here to the lower 48 sooner than later.:bikes:bikes:bikes

My short inseamed friend bought a 650 Burgman and he had the same complaint about the seat height. He said he can reach the ground better on a K1600GTL than he can on his R1200RT or his scooter so he is going to buy himself one.

I rode the same scooter on the 18th (2 days after this review) I loved the ride, I am 5'6" and found the seat height to be perfect. This review was good, wind protection was good even at 140km per hour (85mph) with my height the wind blew over my head at the high setting with very little wind noise as I heard the exhaust more. At the highest setting I was still looking over by a little . I was not wearing a motorcycle jacket, I was wearing a dress leather coat and it did not blow up like a baloon. The step through was showing scuffs after 2000km or 1200 miles as some people do not have respect for other people's property (you will take better care of your own). The only thing I found poor was the mirrors, as half of the mirror on both sides was looking at my elbows (nothing a bar end mirror would solve). Fuel economy showed as 4 litres per hundred km or about 60 miles a US gallon at 60mph I also wished the hand grips to be a little larger. All the controls were easy to work, and it should only take a few minutes the understand (I have not ridden in over 12 years) and found it easy (I wear glasses for reading and) found the only thing I could not read was the tachometer. Why does the scooter have a tachometer as you do not shift gears and you cannot over rev the engine. As for the space under the seat we put 2 full face helmets under with room to spare and closed the seat (24" long or 28" corner to corner).

Last edited:
What IS the engine?

I know its a 650, but what configure? V Twin, water cooled no doubt, or what??? 100mpg, did I read that right? Driveline, a belt? More below deck info please! Sure looks like a NEAT ride and maybe the new tourer of the future, IF its built to LAST the miles added. We are a 100000m biker kind a group here, or many of us ride a LOT of miles per bike:).... I'm sold on the looks, very nicely done scooter. Randy

Correction

I know its a 650, but what configure? V Twin, water cooled no doubt, or what??? 100mpg, did I read that right? Driveline, a belt? More below deck info please! Sure looks like a NEAT ride and maybe the new tourer of the future, IF its built to LAST the miles added. We are a 100000m biker kind a group here, or many of us ride a LOT of miles per bike:).... I'm sold on the looks, very nicely done scooter. Randy

Sorry I did correct the mileage to 60mp gallon as for the engine it is a parallel twin with a low angle configuration (70 degrees) and it is liquid cooled. Rear drive is similar to my Isetta as it is a chain drive in a sealed oil bath. From the engine to the chain is a belt that works a centrifugal clutch system

Last edited:
Wierd drive line?

It seems a tad overdone, belt and chain system! We'll see. An oil bath chain is/maybe a nightmare about to occur,imo. What a mess to deal with. Why, I wonder they couldn't do it simple, with belt only? I sure hope they figured how to keep the oil bath system sealed up, high miles! These things are going to leak, you watch. Hope I'm not too right here, as this IS A COOL looking bike, I like what it MAY be able to do, touring. Randy:thumb

I want a Maxi sooo bad so i can keep on riding for at least a few more years.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Burgman a while ago but decided to wait and see what the real world results on the BMW offerings was.

I am optimistic that they will live up to BMW's reputation and give us lot's of trouble free miles, ( well there is that pesky final drive issue lately on some R models)

My gut tells me to hang on a wait until we get some more real high mileage reports from owners of the C 650GT.

Yeah, but this is a Bergermann. :ha
Emailed my local dealer, they got back to me right quick.
No delivery date.

Eh, an F-800 costs less, performs better and is easier to maintain. Ever work on a scooter? Not fun at all. Anyone who passes an F-800 up for this thing is doing so because it's trendy, not because it's better.

Btw. once you put some miles on a bike with a modern carbon fiber drive belt, you do not go back, even to a drive shaft. Oil bath drive chain? Didn't Harley Davidson fit that to early FXRT's and the original FLT (now called the Road Glide) with less than stellar results? They ditched it for a drive belt. BMW ought to do the same for this scooter thing. Not that I would waste my money on one when more capable motorcycles can be had for less money.

Money?

I've yet to hear the price tag on this new scooter! I just must wait also, for road trip reports and many miles in the real world from those with money to burn. From pics, its very well done in the looks dept... A sealed oil bath drive chain has to be "sold to me", as I am a non believer in that so far. Sceptic, I guess. I too am a self service kind a guy and my last burried engine was my KLT1200. Took half the day to get to the engine for service and a really burried air filter, under the tank. Hope scooters are easier or the BMW shops will love the labor bucks shelled out by owners. PLEASE let this new bike be a winner and well thought out. Randy:thumb

Its the convenience.
I own an F8 and an RT.
Right now when i want to take a quick hop to run an errand locally I grab my ET4.
Its quick its easy Im there and back in 15 minutes and the boss never missed me.
ET4 sorta looks like I'm in clown training. (OK there's your straight line)
C650 would give me a little more capacity and considerably more scootity.
Don't be hatin.
If it bugs you, throw your leg over the saddle.
:ha
Hey when do we get our own forum?
Ya know, for the non-haters.

I am waiting on riding one of these too, and am very interested. I think it would fit my cycle use very well, mostly been commuting, but I could take this on a 2 to 4 day trip if I want to.

Thanks for the great write-up, guys, glad to see they are taking these around for test rides, anyone know of a schedule for where they will be? Did they have them at the rally in Sedalia?

It would be great to know what BMW lists as the MPG rating.

The Munch Mammut used an oil bath chain. Friedl Munch kept breaking chains on these monsters and found the chain would last in an oil bath, kept the chain munch, errr, much cooler. A freind of mine owned several of these, never heard a complaint about the system, although there was only one of them that he rode regularly.

YES we need a C Class/Scooter/Urban Mobility forum!

PS Prices I have heard around on the net would seem to indicate around $10K-$12K for a fully optioned 650GT

Last edited:
From my favorite sales gal robyn at long beach BMW they should arrive end of oct. With a total of 1000 bikes in US first year 250 sports and 750gt's
Pricing is from 9-11 grand depending on options and model
Hope my wife likes hers.....

I got a killer deal on a 2012 Suzuki Burgman from my local dealer friend.
Took a 50 mile test ride on a used one he has . Smooth as glass at 90mph ( way faster than I usually ride) handled like a sport bike in the twisties, stops on a dime.:thumb

If the more expensive BMW is all they claim and does not fall on it's arse being ridden by the masses ( the true test period of any new product) it should sell well in the segment it is designed for.

Since i can no longer manipulate the clutch on my BMW R80 , ( have not ridden in 6--8 weeks now) It just hurts too much in my hand and arm and is not worth the aggravation.

Put a deposit on the new Burgman, picking it up on Tuesday

BMW will be up for sale shortly.

Back