• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

loud click upon take off

Phil,

it may not have been the bearings but you might have touched the area where the click comes from when you replaced the bearings.

Did you check the spring/snap assembly? Spline? U-joint?

/Guenther

"but there is a click there, but nowhere near as loud or often"

Something you did helped but not cured totally

86 is too new for my personal experience but most of this discussion has had to do with the
drive train to the rear drive but not between the rear drive and the wheel itself

One other thing that would be affected by removing and remounting the wheel is it possible that whatever bolts or wheel spline system is on this newer model is making the click - look carefully at the wheel itself and how it is attached to the rear drive and how the rear drive imparts torque to the wheel when you apply power with your weight on the bike - in an older model with the wheel splines and spline cup riveted to the wheel you get a click when either the rivets are loose and the cup can move slightly or when the splines are worn to a step shape - click as splines jump on or off the step with weight or torque

I don't know what the 86--> system looks like

The reason why I think it is oringinating around the swing arm, because you feel it on gthe right foot peg. but not as often or loud since the repair.(attempted) there was no play at trhe transmission, driceshaft bearings had no slop in any direction, the geared hub is smooth. I question how tight the swing arm adjusters need to be. Not the actual lock nut which is torqued but the "bolts" that adjust the side to side measurements.those are the only items i see that have a contact from the swing arm to the rear subframe conducting the said click.

The adjustors, or pivot bearings, have a set torque value...this is what you should use. It provides the proper amount of preload on the actual swingarm bearings. The process is, using the 6mm allen wrench adapter, tighten/loosen the adjustors until you have the swingarm essetially centered in the frame. Then on one side, tighten the adjustor to 15 ft-lbs, back off and retighten to 7.5 ft-lbs. Check that the swing arm is centered in the frame. Finally, with the special 27mm socket, tighten the locknuts to around 70 ft-lbs.

Final update

YAY, got my haynes, got good advice, got my tools, and got my a$$ on the road with no issues thus far. rode it to work, no noise. it was a pain the the butt to center the swingarm after torque, took about 30 minutes of loosen, and torque, loosen and torque. thanks all

... it was a pain the the butt to center the swingarm after torque, took about 30 minutes of loosen, and torque, loosen and torque.

So, now that you have established "centered", find the drill bit that fits into the gap (on both sides), note the diameter, and use it as your centering gauge next time. Saves buckets-o-time.
icon_wink.gif

Back