• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Texting Twit

................I called the KY State Police & was told by the dispatcher that if "they" didn't see it , it didn't happen. So much for being responsible citizens... Is that "how it works" elsewhere?

You call and say they are weaving all over the road, almost caused a couple accidents. They are acting like they might be DRUNK or on DRUGS. Give description and plate # if possible.

The cops WILL respond, if you say you saw them texting the response will be similar to what you got.

I do agree that phone records should be subpoenaed in any accident, just as breathalyzer is administered, and penalties as severe. It will be news when the first person gets sent to prison for 5 years, from texting and causing an injury or death.

The lady in my incident was grey haired & likely 60+ yrs old & was seen to be crossing into the oncoming lane a number of times, all of which occurred PRIOR! to texting era & I had plenty of time to observe her behavior & to write down the plate#. You did read correctly that the dispatcher even knew me personally? You got the short version & then decided what should have been done to get a proper reaction from the cops, sorry your second guessing here, they're the ones at fault.
I ran this & a few other incidents by my next door neighbor-sort of we're rural- when he was a fresh graduate to the KY state police & he could not believe my call was ignored.

when we get serious about saving lives on the road maybe , just maybe we will start to actually train drivers to drive & ride.
I'll add my usual statement on this topic, that my local regional university stopped providing driver education teacher training in 1975!:banghead This is a national issue folks & I keep hoping somebody will have the political courage to tackle the problem with something more than the recent spate of texting laws...

So where are we going to get all of our urban taxi drivers if we start requiring actual skill and knowledge in order to operate a cage?

So where are we going to get all of our urban taxi drivers if we start requiring actual skill and knowledge in order to operate a cage?

Coincidence as I just thought about that this morning while on my drive to work.

Where does it say 100% or 98% or X% of the population should be able to drive a car. If that same percentage of people could be an airline pilot, I'd be walking.

IMO, many drivers should not be able to own and operate a vehicle.

I agree with the above statement. In fact there are a lot of drivers who shouldn't be allowed to operate an electric toothbrush unsupervised.

I wish I thought all the distracted driving was a recent phenom. Twenty years ago, coming back to Illinois from New York on I-80, I was almost struck by a driver who was obviously reading a book propped on his steering wheel.

I saw this today

http://www.amazon.com/Wheelmate-Laptop-Steering-Wheel-Desk/dp/B000IZGIA8
111ZbOSCLkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I agree with the above statement. In fact there are a lot of drivers who shouldn't be allowed to operate an electric toothbrush unsupervised.

When I think about who should drive, I look back to PE class & how there have always been some persons that cannot tie their shoe, so to speak. Not just who could climb a rope or do lots of this or that exercise but more importantly many do not have reaction times,decision making process where you want to be on the road with them. I'm 68 & recently renewed my KY licenses-money & a new photo is all it takes. Each state varies but how many really look at eyes & reaction times? It is a national sham how we decide who gets the privilege. Even the days when the professional truckers were all very proficient & safe are gone from my observation. No, it's not the end of my rant as I stay on this one constantly:)
Oh, I just watched a woman in VA last night, with 2 small kids in her car, texting her way across an intersection & on down the road-tape her thumbs for 6 months of probation?

There is a fundamental problem with driver education most places in this country. It used to be that most high schools had a driver-ed teacher that taught driver's ed - some after school and some in the summer. Colleges had continuing education courses for such drivers-ed teachers. When I was in high school drivers-ed was a required course.

For a variety of reasons this is no longer the case. Colleges started dropping teacher training in the 70s. School districts cut the programs and funding. I have no idea how/where a young person learns to drive nowadays. Probably taught the same bad skill set their aggressive moms or dads have, or by a commercial school churning out test passers.

Casual observation of traffic most places leads me to conclude that however it is happening is not getting good results. Few people know how to pass. Parallel parking - what's that? Proper following distances - huh? Proper merge techniques - say what?

I could rant on but until as a society/culture we decide that actually driving safely is a skill folks out to be taught and have, we will continue to maim and kill folks needlessly. Texting is the current hot button. Cell phone jabbering was. All other forms of distraction too. But the bottom line is millions of folks in the U.S. don't know how to drive and wouldn't last many days trying to drive in much of Europe or Asia if they had to try.

Having been an instructor for many years, it was interesting to observe the aptitudes and hand-eye coordination of students. I quickly learned that high IQs did not produce good fliers. The best student I ever had was a guy who worked in a bar and would make a WWF wrestler look like a pussycat. The forces turned him away and he quit flying...their loss. You explained something to him, and he did it perfectly the first time and every time.

As for driving courses, I could never figure out why driver training, driver licenses, vehicle registration or what have you, are state or provincially controlled. In any European country, it is federally controlled...one standard within a country...not state to state.

You ought to see the student manual in Germany...352 pages of small print and lots of pics. Overhead pics and then mirror views of what the driver should expect to see. Needless to say, you won't get your driver's license over there out of a box of Cracker Jacks.

Drivers Education

My son took drivers training from a private instructor in Columbia, SC. The car used was a Firebird. The young man who taught my son was very good. Once my son got his license, we attended the Richard Petty Experience in Charlotte, NC. It was money well spent and my son actually learned how to handle a vehicle.

There are many things that schools cannot afford in their budget these days. Some parents place a priority on filling those gaps.

A local school is in its 2nd year of a mandatory seminar on distracted driving, if the student wants to drive anywhere on school property.

It includes statistics, but the biggest thing is it includes a former graduate, who is now a Quadriplegic, after a distracted driver caused an accident he was involved in.

It is not as good as Drivers Ed, but it is a start.

... I have no idea how/where a young person learns to drive nowadays. Probably taught the same bad skill set their aggressive moms or dads have, or by a commercial school churning out test passers. ...

We sent both our kids to an Institute for Driver's Safety class. I don't know if it's a local thing or national or what. It's a lot like the MSF BRC. There's several hours of class time followed by an exam. Then they do two 4 to 5 hour one-on-one in-car training sessions out in the real world. The driving instructors are mostly cops, some retired, some active. They took the kids thru all kinds of traffic situations, freeway, surface streets, rush hour, etc. If they pass (and not all do) they get a certificate to take to the MVD to get their license. They also get an insurance discount, at least ours did. I thought it was a great way for them to learn. It's been 10 years now for the older kid and six for the younger and no tickets or wrecks for either. IIRC it cost about $300 but well worth it.

Back