• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member in KC

dtrott

Hi everybody. I have been an urban scooter guy for the last six years (Vespa 250GTS) and have longed for the open road and farther destinations for the last couple of years. So after doing my homework I ordered a new R1200RT (without actually having ridden one) which is in transit right now. I'm told it should be here in about a month or so. The wait is killing me. I am taking a safety class in a couple of weeks and am beefing up my riding apparel. I have to say I am a bit worried about the jump up from 250 to 1170cc. Should I be?

Well...seriously, yes, it's going to be a jump. Not just the size of the bike, but the whole clutch/throttle interaction could be new to you if youve been used to the CVR transmission that's in most scooters. So....practice, practice practice at that safety class. Better to drop their bike a couple of times than yours.

The KC Club is mentioned in the thread started by SweetLouDiamond in this section of the
New Members...you might consider making some contacts there who could help you.

Mac

Hi everybody. I have been an urban scooter guy for the last six years (Vespa 250GTS) and have longed for the open road and farther destinations for the last couple of years. So after doing my homework I ordered a new R1200RT (without actually having ridden one) which is in transit right now. I'm told it should be here in about a month or so. The wait is killing me. I am taking a safety class in a couple of weeks and am beefing up my riding apparel. I have to say I am a bit worried about the jump up from 250 to 1170cc. Should I be?

It is really bizarre to have to wait on a 2012, when the 2013's will be out soon. I was at Engle last week and was told they are still witing on 3 2012's for delivery. Seems like BMW would want to meet the demand more efficiently. Anyway, the RT is worth the wait, and maybe makes the resale a bit easier. Definately an aquired taste. I love my 2005!
Welcome to BMW, dtrott
Pat

Welcome. Was on SW Trafficway a month ago waiting for the light at Mill Street. Saw the window of the Mustang beside me rolling down. Driver said "Nice bike!" of my 10 year old R1150RT. Get ready.

Back