• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Proficient cornering...

Dwestly is right on! I too am a MSF instructor of many years, but I also have studied many of the techniques of Lee Parks and other riding instructors. No track day, yet. It is a zen like thing when you are in the "flow zone" of riding. It becomes easier, less taxing, more mental than physical, and you do sense a lot more of what the bike and tires are doing because you are telling, and letting the bike do what it is capable of. Suddenly, you find you are smoother, more confident, safer AND quicker through the turns.

But it takes a lot of prep BEFORE the turn, not once you're in the turn. Hopefully once you're in the turn, you still have the skills to make the bike move/adjust quickly, and the mental balance to not freak out and quickly make minor adjustments. That takes practice and seat time. I too, treat every ride as a learning experience. Which for me started when I began to push my abilities and study what the really good riders do.

We recently got a S1000RR crash bike in the shop at the local BMW dealer. The 17 year old rider (can you believe that!?), as reported by his father, claimed the bike "wouldn't make the turn" and he lost off when it ran off the road. BULLS**T! The bike would make any turn that I know of in Wisconsin, the RIDER wouldn't make the turn is the problem. Oh, and this same rider wants to know how to get a Power Commander for his S1000RR.

I took two riders on a demo ride for the dealer Saturday, with me leading on a K1600GTL, they followed on a S1000RR and K1300S. They had both ridden in on older sport bikes, wearing t-shirts, jeans, work boots, helmets. They didn't like that I made them wear jackets for the demo ride. I briefly asked them about counter-steering, because they asked if the ride would have any turns. The word "countersteering" brought back looks of "HUH?" So a brief discussion got them going. They said, "we'll keep up", to which I replied, "don't try, ride your own ride." I backed it way off, and we did fine, but even in the rear view mirrors I could see the lack of skills, very evident.

Funny you should say that...my legs are sore tonight. I did do a good workout this morning before the ride, though...:)

\QUOTE]

An active riding style takes some getting use to body wise. After very active riding trips spending the day in the mountains my legs too would be sore. After the first two track days, I rode home and went to get off the bike and my legs rebelled. I have found being in better shape really makes time on the bike more enjoyable, things flow better, there is less fatigue, and less recoverly afterwards. It is more than a workout before hand. Stretching and such before hand does help. This year after my schools I only felt a little discomfort. I have been doing some 'boot camp' type things since last fall and will continue them. I never find them 'fun' but I see benefits in lots of places.

I hope to hear more about your exploits. Glad things are coming together for you!!!!

So much to learn, so many roads to learn on, oh to be on them!!!

NCS

This is really great stuff...keep it coming. I love hearing about others' experiences. It really is coming together for me...and unlike when I rode in the '80's, having a rational basis for the riding skills is truly appealing.

Now...about those young kids on superbikes, wearing t-shirts and stuff. Insane...see it all the time. Even flip-flops, for #&*#!.

The "Laws of Natural Selection" certainly still apply to motorcycles.

Only the strong shall survive.

A serious factor that I haven't seen covered are tire tracks that are on public roads that are not on race tracks. Automobile traffic generally runs parallel to the centerline keeping it swept free of gravel sand and other debris. Also cars leak oil, water, antifreeze and grease between the tire treads. At a slight bump one old car or truck after another have a drip fall in the same place. Trying to use the full width of the road or lane steers your tires across this crap. Any time you run the risk losing traction, if it's just starting to rain after a dry spell it virtually guaranteed. I stay in the inside tire track myself.

A serious factor that I haven't seen covered are tire tracks that are on public roads that are not on race tracks. Automobile traffic generally runs parallel to the centerline keeping it swept free of gravel sand and other debris. Also cars leak oil, water, antifreeze and grease between the tire treads. At a slight bump one old car or truck after another have a drip fall in the same place. Trying to use the full width of the road or lane steers your tires across this crap. Any time you run the risk losing traction, if it's just starting to rain after a dry spell it virtually guaranteed. I stay in the inside tire track myself.

We're talking about curvy two lane roads, right? I believe most of the "experts" recommend the "outside - inside - outside" approach as the general rule. For a left-hand bend you start in the right car track (or even farther to the right if there is no gravel,) move close to the centerline when you see the end of the curve, then accelerate to the right wheel track. For right-hand bends you start in the left wheel track, move to the right wheel track when you see the end of the curve, then accelerate to the left wheel track. For a given speed, this approach gives you the least lean angle and the best sight line for debris on the road and and also approaching vehicles which may be over the centerline. This is also called the "delayed apex" line.

What I personally find important is to enter the curves slow enough that you can change your line or slightly reduce your speed when there is good reason to.

I know from sad personal experience just how slippery a road can be in rain after a long dry spell. You need to reduce your speed a LOT on the curves. Try some braking on a straight stretch to get a feel for the available traction. Still, I feel the above advice holds in that situation.

If "staying on the inside tire track" means you stay close to the centerline on a left-hand bend, picture what would happen when a car comes around that bend half way across your lane.

I'm no expert and there is a chance I mis-understood you. I always stand correction.

If "staying on the inside tire track" means you stay close to the centerline on a left-hand bend, picture what would happen when a car comes around that bend half way across your lane.

I'm no expert and there is a chance I mis-understood you. I always stand correction.

You understood perfectly. Given the above situation (a head-on approaching) of course I would steer right to a larger radius. Centrifugal force would assist and diminish in the quick maneuver, and there would be less demand for traction crossing the potential mid-lane slipperiness. If there wasn't enough traction there I would quickly be in the clean outside track where the was. From clean to slippery to clean generates a potential for a low-side then high-side crashes but I'm only doing it on the corner meeting the idiot, not every one and even the crash would direct bike and rider away from the head-on.

Simply the opposite of the decreasing radius line which requires progressively increasing traction force which simply isn't available if entered too fast.

Agree completely that prudent speed for the conditions yields the best result. You just made me realize that in 47 years, I have never said "I wish I had taken that corner faster". Thanx.

You understood perfectly. Given the above situation (a head-on approaching) of course I would steer right to a larger radius. Centrifugal force would assist and diminish in the quick maneuver, and there would be less demand for traction crossing the potential mid-lane slipperiness. If there wasn't enough traction there I would quickly be in the clean outside track where the was. From clean to slippery to clean generates a potential for a low-side then high-side crashes but I'm only doing it on the corner meeting the idiot, not every one and even the crash would direct bike and rider away from the head-on.

Simply the opposite of the decreasing radius line which requires progressively increasing traction force which simply isn't available if entered too fast.

Agree completely that prudent speed for the conditions yields the best result. You just made me realize that in 47 years, I have never said "I wish I had taken that corner faster". Thanx.

Can you tell us why you prefer the left wheel track to the right wheel track on a left hand curve? Seems to me the latter gives you better visibility of the road and any vehicles enroaching on your lane, plus you are out of their way.

I suspect both of us are "conservatives" on back road corner speed and you have many more years in the saddle than I. Do you stay on the inside tire track or outside tire track for right hand bends?

Can you tell us why you prefer the left wheel track to the right wheel track on a left hand curve? Seems to me the latter gives you better visibility of the road and any vehicles enroaching on your lane, plus you are out of their way.

I suspect both of us are "conservatives" on back road corner speed and you have many more years in the saddle than I. Do you stay on the inside tire track or outside tire track for right hand bends?

Sure, thanx for the response. I think I may be a little more visible close to the center line rather than blending into the roadside. Also gives me a second chance if I need to divert. I guess the main reason is the old million mile Harley dealer, Jim Magner, taught me to at 16. He said riding in the left tire track gives oncoming (or passing) traffic the message that you own the lane, just like a car, and they don't need to be thinking about using some of it. Don't know how right that is but that's what I do.

If you ride in the outside track on every corner, two good things happen. First the corner is less severe of a radius and second you have BETTER visibilty through the corner. The whole idea of the "late apex" aproach is to make the turn less sharp and keep the lean angle to a minimum for a longer period of time. If you hug the inside, you are hiding behind the corner and become more of a surprise to oncoming traffic. A lot of people who hug the inside say it gives them room to escape if there is an issue, I say it eats up response time to avoid a car in your lane. Look at my crude diagram to see what I mean. The blue bike sees the red/yellow car before the pink one does and vice versa. I don't think you are giving any oncoming car any message about you owning a lane, they don't see you anyway. The first thing they are going to tell the cop after they mow you over is " I didn't see him, he came out of nowhere"

Attachments

• corner diagram.png
    corner diagram.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 30
I guess the main reason is the old million mile Harley dealer, Jim Magner, taught me to at 16. He said riding in the left tire track gives oncoming (or passing) traffic the message that you own the lane, just like a car, and they don't need to be thinking about using some of it. Don't know how right that is but that's what I do.

My riding mentor told me the same thing and I practice it to this day. :thumb

It makes me cringe when I see some rookie tooling down the highway in the right track.

It makes me cringe when I see some rookie tooling down the highway in the right track.

When you are in lane number 1 (the fast lane) of a multi lane highway riding in the left track can be an invitation to a car on your right to pull into your lane. Depending upon the shoulder (or lack thereof) it can also take away lanes of escape for evasive action.

Right track, left track... there is no one correct action. The choice depends upon the situation. Anyone who slavishly follows a "use this track" rule is adding unnecessary risk to their ride.

Right track, left track... there is no one correct action. The choice depends upon the situation. Anyone who slavishly follows a "use this track" rule is adding unnecessary risk to their ride.

exactly as we teach it in the BRC.
make your decisions based on the changes that occur within your ride on a moment-by-moment basis.

now, that "oil collects in the center of the lane" thing has been going around for years. hear it in my BRC classes all the time, especially when we address the question of "which part of the lane is the correct one to ride in?"
i consider myself to be a student of the road, and in my 35+ riding years i have yet to find a general accumulation of oil, debris or any other memorable crap in the center of a single lane. yeah, sometimes a bit does gather, but generaly speaking, not so much. and certainly not enough to take me off my O-I-O late apex cornering line.
well, except in toll booths and major city intersections. there i find oil, so i tend to ride U-U-U (upright, upright, upright) thru the left or right tire track, depending upon situational specifics.

From one MSF coach to another, 1+.

Anyone who follows a strict set of "riding rules" will likely find out one day that they were wrong, and find out the hard way. This includes MSF instructors who teach "this is the only way to do it."

Not too many out there, but there are some. Fewer than there used to be.

From one MSF coach to another, 1+.

Anyone who follows a strict set of "riding rules" will likely find out one day that they were wrong, and find out the hard way. This includes MSF instructors who teach "this is the only way to do it."

Not too many out there, but there are some. Fewer than there used to be.

+1 from another MSF coach. I always preach adjusting your situation to fit the environment. This includes lane position, speed, etc. Any coach who says "this is the only way to do it" in terms of riding rules (with a very few exceptions, like ATGATT) is doing a serious disservice to their students.

+1 from another MSF coach. I always preach adjusting your situation to fit the environment. This includes lane position, speed, etc. Any rider who says "this is the only way to do it" in terms of riding rules (with a very few exceptions, like ATGATT) is doing a serious disservice to their listening audience.

fify

Last edited:
When I ride I am always looking for/choosing my optimum lane position based on a mental list of factors that I've developed that help me decide how to set up for many different road conditions. So that means I move around within the three mini-lanes to best suit the conditions.

I have never done a track day (yet), though I do local off-road/dirt bike events and I ice-race in the winter on the amateur level (that means back-marker). But I have read many books and over the years, developed my "riding flow" for the twisties. People that ride with me for those back road blitzes comment, "we hardly ever see your brake lights, yet, you just seem to move and flow through the corners, and you're quick!"

Over the years, experimenting on my own, listening/learning, actually applying the tactics taught in the MSF ERC and ARC, it has really brought my riding up. I still want to take a track day with professional instruction.

When you are in lane number 1 (the fast lane) of a multi lane highway riding in the left track can be an invitation to a car on your right to pull into your lane. Depending upon the shoulder (or lack thereof) it can also take away lanes of escape for evasive action.

Sorry, but I don't recall referencing the fast lane. :scratch

I was assuming that readers could deduce my meaning as it pertained to the post I was responding to. His point was claiming your lane to avoid being crowded out. I dislike insulting the intelligence of the reader by assuming they can't possibly understand my point without bloviating and pontificating.

Guess you missed that little insignificant nuance. I'll try to do better at spelling it out next time. :banghead

I'm picking nits here and don't want to hijack this thread. I thought the right hand lane was #1 and the lane numbers increased to the left; 2 and then 3.

Back