• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I see a lot of posts about...

aa3jy

riding thru out the U.S. , Canada, and Alaska..but very few about riding in Mexico..why is that..?

It's because you didn't read mine.
And if you want to see them by the ton, go to advrider.
dc

I've been just over the border maybe ,1/2 mile?....years ago,before all the drug cartels, smuggling,etc.

I've always heard it's just not safe there?

Mexico is a big country. It depends upon which "there" you are talking about. In Baja once you get away from the border the concern is gas availability, not safety.

That's why I added the ? because I'm not familiar.

I thought about joining a tour group for winter trip into Mexico. Safety in numbers and I'm told they know the lay of the land. Gas,motels,food etc.

Do you have knowledge / advise about that?

Gas= Pemex-end of story. No different than USA except the brand & the attendents speak Spanish-and some are pretty too!:)

Motels/hotels(have you ever heard of Rough Guide,Frommers & several others?) there is a list on ADVrider too. Then there's always the web for tourist areas. You can also ask one of us that goes there for routes & lodging info. Not hard to find a hotel there anymore than the USA other than some of the non tourist areas(just like USA)

Food= You walk in & eat-if it's street food you look for the longer lines and what appeals to you-if you don't like Mexican food(it's not Taco Bell down there either) then make sure you only eat in larger cities where you can get the stuff we(some of "we") often eat here, also know as fast or junk food.

Expect to pay less for all of the above

Tour groups serve a purpose for certain people & I've never found myself to be one of those people. Ask around, it's hard enough to find one other person to ride with for many & I'm certainly not anti-social. It's a common fact that a ride partner is hard to make work & as the group gets larger it is even more difficult. That said, to each his own. I have tried to find a ride partner here on MOA forum & never has happened. Usually zero responses, so I just ride off alone, not by choice necessarily but it works out OK so far. I have had a few ride partners that were OK from ADVrider but not going to comment openly about the result. PM me for e.g. of how it doesn't always work out like planned.
The recent ON article from a Mexico tour operator was as well written as any article I've read on Mexico travel. If it makes one feel good & you have the money it takes to go tour grouping, then that's what one should do. Bike tours are obviously different than the bus tours I see what with the name tag around the neck & so on but I'll travel my way, thank you.
71243-I'm going again this winter-are you game for the trip?

Gas= Pemex-end of story. No different than USA except the brand & the attendents speak Spanish-and some are pretty too!:)

Motels/hotels(have you ever heard of Rough Guide,Frommers & several others?) there is a list on ADVrider too. Then there's always the web for tourist areas. You can also ask one of us that goes there for routes & lodging info. Not hard to find a hotel there anymore than the USA other than some of the non tourist areas(just like USA)

Food= You walk in & eat-if it's street food you look for the longer lines and what appeals to you-if you don't like Mexican food(it's not Taco Bell down there either) then make sure you only eat in larger cities where you can get the stuff we(some of "we") often eat here, also know as fast or junk food.

Expect to pay less for all of the above

Tour groups serve a purpose for certain people & I've never found myself to be one of those people. Ask around, it's hard enough to find one other person to ride with for many & I'm certainly not anti-social. It's a common fact that a ride partner is hard to make work & as the group gets larger it is even more difficult. That said, to each his own. I have tried to find a ride partner here on MOA forum & never has happened. Usually zero responses, so I just ride off alone, not by choice necessarily but it works out OK so far. I have had a few ride partners that were OK from ADVrider but not going to comment openly about the result. PM me for e.g. of how it doesn't always work out like planned.
The recent ON article from a Mexico tour operator was as well written as any article I've read on Mexico travel. If it makes one feel good & you have the money it takes to go tour grouping, then that's what one should do. Bike tours are obviously different than the bus tours I see what with the name tag around the neck & so on but I'll travel my way, thank you.
71243-I'm going again this winter-are you game for the trip?

Well now ya got me thinking. Like you I travel allot alone, for reasons you touched on.

What month ? ride all the way, or ? How far into Mexico are you going, and for how long? How many miles p/day ?

BTW I'm 63 retired just a blue collar guy. Not fussy, don't require fancy,...but will look for clean. Being honest with you, I have some arthritis and 10 hour days are a thing of the past for me. BTW my name is Ron

You haven't spent much time in Baja, I take it. Sometimes there is no official gas for 250 miles or more. Sometimes the only gas available is purchased out of jerry cans from some guy on the side of the road. The choice is to take that gas or wait until the next official delivery to the closed Pemex station across the way.

Friends once purchased gas that was siphoned out of a school bus. They weren't quite sure if the person selling the gas had a right to do so... as that was the only gas available they didn't ask too many questions.

riding thru out the U.S. , Canada, and Alaska..but very few about riding in Mexico..why is that..?

It's stinkin' hot, it's straight and flat, it's stinkin' hot, tequila and scooters don't mix, and it's stinkin' hot. Seriously, why would anyone ride there that isn't on their way to Costa Rica and points south - sort of a Long Way Down ride.

I would say that it's probably because Mexico is a 3rd world crap hole where it is VERY easy to get killed, robbed or kidnapped.

You couldn't shoot me out of a cannon into that cesspool. :nono

Check out the ADVRider website. There are a lot of people who find riding through Mexico Enjoyable. Hopefully someday I can make it, reading the ride reports make me want to experience a different culture.

I'll be riding in Mexico Jan 2013. I have 13 weeks to travel through Central America. Mexico is more hospitable away from the border....

You haven't spent much time in Baja, I take it. Sometimes there is no official gas for 250 miles or more. Sometimes the only gas available is purchased out of jerry cans from some guy on the side of the road. The choice is to take that gas or wait until the next official delivery to the closed Pemex station across the way.

Friends once purchased gas that was siphoned out of a school bus. They weren't quite sure if the person selling the gas had a right to do so... as that was the only gas available they didn't ask too many questions.[/QUOTE

I have been to Baja 4 times. I know about jug gas there & the mainland but my reaction was to the suggestion of a group travel situation as relates to gas,food & lodging,nothing more. :wave

Seems to be that several here are anxious to start a "is Mexico safe" or "is Mexico hot" or "is Mexico a cesspool" thread here. I'll not take the bait but will say that it is a beautiful country full of friendly people. Riding can be hot, esp. in the buzzard country of the northern states, while many of the great rides are at altitude and actually its been chilly on every trip I've ever taken to Mexico at some point-except Baja, & except Baja in the mtns/national park area. Safety is a large topic, which I'll avoid entirely herein. Cesspool? sounds provocative? Great place to ride in the winter-for me.

Well everybody says that, if they haven't been there. They 'saw it on tv'.
I'm planning my 3rd trip this year for October or November.
I have described Los Angeles as a cesspool. But then I live here.
On another forum, they posted, not the tv watchers, but people who had been there, that in ten years what would Mexico be like? And someone posted the best answer: Detroit.
That gem of northern hospitality.
I think we are all proud of Detroit.
dc

Well now ya got me thinking. Like you I travel allot alone, for reasons you touched on.

What month ? ride all the way, or ? How far into Mexico are you going, and for how long? How many miles p/day ?

BTW I'm 63 retired just a blue collar guy. Not fussy, don't require fancy,...but will look for clean. Being honest with you, I have some arthritis and 10 hour days are a thing of the past for me. BTW my name is Ron
My name is Mike & I'm addicted to Mexico travel. When I ride 1350k/one way to the border, the other miles are easier & warmer too! My bike trips have all been in the 6-7,000 mile range. I have a notion of a route this time but not carved in stone yet as a family marriage is in the picture.
I'm 68, retired,have arthritis(but quite healthy & very active,knock on wood),worked in blue collar/skilled trades(in another life before last career) very unfussy(thats a reason I left some ride partners ) & don't ride 10 hours in Mexico- a 200k day there is pretty much it with exception on the buzzard country. At times it is important to get to a certain town or city for lodging. You never travel at night in Mexico,period. Also the roads have there can be tiring & slow or really fast. I can say this for certain, I have been all over the USA but will take nothing for my Mexico memories. The libres are mostly the MC riders route but at times the Cuotas are best & can be just as scenic as they often cut through "virgin territory". They also give you a lift if you breakdown on cuotas. I have walked out of a few hotels in USA & Mexico too. I've walked out of many in Mexico based on too pricey-they do have an upper class down there! The Pueblo Magicos are mostly all nice smaller towns that cater to tourists. Mexico is actually a civilized country. The recent ON letter by the Mexico traveler/aviation guy is quite accurate & says it like it is. Deserts,mountains,jungles,Caribbean beaches & ocean vistas, vibrant culture-it's pretty neat I say.

Well everybody says that, if they haven't been there. They 'saw it on tv'.
I'm planning my 3rd trip this year for October or November.
I have described Los Angeles as a cesspool. But then I live here.
On another forum, they posted, not the tv watchers, but people who had been there, that in ten years what would Mexico be like? And someone posted the best answer: Detroit.
That gem of northern hospitality.
I think we are all proud of Detroit.
dc
We went to a ball game at the new stadium in Detroit a few yrs ago and the walk from the car in was not a safe one, same for Baltimore,not that way in Pittsburg. They steal the flowers from the hwy plantings in Detroit, which is a bad sign?

Mike
I hope you have been following the adventures of dwj Donnie on advrider.
Your travels sound like they may be a lot like his.
I like Baja mostly. But it's the Mexico over here. I have to go way east to get to the mainland.
But I'll be there later this year, and try to see at that time where you are. Maybe I can catch up with you.
Are you riding mostly the east coast of Mexico?
dc

Yes, I have read of Donnie's travels & also empathize with his having lost his wife. We've been married a long time & I sort of understand his losing his best friend. I actually mentioned traveling with him & it was apparent he chose to go it "his way". We have a family wedding pending for now but am thinking I might ride & meet wife in Baja then to Loreto for the ferry across and some mtn riding,etc.. Neil Peart,Rush drummer & great author/bike rider(BMW guy-why hasn't he been interviewed? for ON) said Loreto was among his Mexican faves. I'd like to ride Belize & GT but not as yet-maybe this time... I always am thinking of my kitchen pass when I do these multi-day trips but as we age one should consider that our day will come that long bike trips just wont happen, now's the time, as they say.
A friend of mine,expat in Toluca, said a friend of his was held up the other day on the cuota road through the mtns from Toluca into the DF. All traffic was stopped from whatever road issue & armed gunman robbed each vehicle of cells & wallets down the line. I read this same stuff of a nice town nearby to me as somebody hunts for some pill money here in USA. I know it's more complicated here & in MX but mucho crime here. Not in my county yet other than pill head burglaries now & then. I suspect that in a line of cars like that in my area the booger man would be in for an unpleasant surprise somewhere in the line of cars from one of the "carriers", also know as the imbued herein.
54 deg's here in KY last nite-I need to ride a bit...

Back